Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do you research before doing something new or do you dive right in?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
    I throw shit on the wall, and see what sticks.
    Also known as the Jackson Pollock approach.

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
      Youtube is a goldmine of an educational tool if used correctly.

For every idiotic kid that spends their hours on youtube watching people like PewDiePie play video games there are people like me who use it for research purposes. I've watched so many historical documentaries, biographies, and educational videos on there in just the past year alone that it's ****ing ridiculous.

If it's something simple like painting then I normally don't bother because I've been painting houses and canvases for the better part of a decade, but there's all sorts of home improvement **** that no amount of research will get me to do myself. Like electrical work. Or plumbing.
      very true. and not just youtube but in the internet in general. but i will admit i prefer learning from videos over reading if they are presented in good fashion. but either way works.

Comment

Also known as the Jackson Pollock approach.
        Sweet Pea 50=

bringer =

Comment

Originally posted by Tago Nang Tago View Post
          very true. and not just youtube but in the internet in general. but i will admit i prefer learning from videos over reading if they are presented in good fashion. but either way works.

There's a **** ton of quality reading material on the internet, too.

I was never much of a reader in school, even as far back as elementary school. I loved and excelled in English, but reading assignments always killed me and brought my overall grade down because I never had much interest in works of fiction in the written form. Even when it comes to movies I have a strong preference for documentaries over anything fictional.

Being an insomniac, I often times find myself reading the most random articles or entries on wikipedia in the early morning hours. Last week it was nuclear fusion at 3AM. The week before that it was the Russian side of the conflict in World War II. The week prior to that it was mostly tech blogs and medical science journals.

Nothing yet this week, unfortunately.

Comment

It depends.

When it comes to doing things like projects, repairs, or trying new hobbies, I like to do a good amount of research.

I do a little research when buying things. Kind of depends on how expensive the item is.

As far as trying new restaurants, bars, or new places I do little to no research. I like the adventure, even the ****ty places I visit can at least make for a funny story.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
              It depends.

When it comes to doing things like projects, repairs, or trying new hobbies, I like to do a good amount of research.

I do a little research when buying things. Kind of depends on how expensive the item is.

As far as trying new restaurants, bars, or new places I do little to no research. I like the adventure, even the ****ty places I visit can at least make for a funny story.
              I don't know how it is in other metropolitan areas, but in Philly, Raleigh, and Jacksonville, the best places I ever ate at were the "hole in the wall" joints most others either avoided or simply weren't aware of.

Gooey Looie's cheese steaks, FTW.

Comment

I don't know how it is in other metropolitan areas, but in Philly, Raleigh, and Jacksonville, the best places I ever ate at were the "hole in the wall" joints most others either avoided or simply weren't aware of.

Gooey Looie's cheese steaks, FTW.

It's kind of like that in San Diego. Taco shops, small Asian restaurants and hole in the wall coffee shops are usually really good.

It's usually the popular trendy places where I have the ****tiest experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
                  It's kind of like that in San Diego. Taco shops, small Asian restaurants and hole in the wall coffee shops are usually really good.

It's usually the popular trendy places where I have the ****tiest experiences.
                  I'd green you, but this idiotic site says I've given out too much in the past 24 hours with my whopping 300-whatever karma level.

I'm always amused by fickle people who won't dine in those places because of X, Y, or Z. If watching 870 hours of The Food Network and Travel Channel taught me anything it's not to judge a book by its cover as far as cuisine is concerned.

Comment

Research everything you possibly can. I always say there is no knowledge that is not power.

I just recently researched the mating process of worms. Simultaneous Hermaphrodites they are, both "mates" have male and female reproductive organs, and both sets are used at the same time, and if all goes well, both worms leave the process pregnant.

Comment

Google is a frequent tool of mine. I use it often. That and youtube helped me take a bare cement space and build a walk in closet in it for my wife.

I had to use nails with explosive charges to mount the beams on the cement that I would later hang the drywall on.

Never would have had a clue about something like that without the internet

Comment

Working...
                      X