No announcement yet.

The Undefeated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
    Do you know what issue of The Ring that is? Like, what month?
    I can’t say exact as I don’t keep my magazines for long nowadays, but you might get help from The Ring if you mail them.

Before internet, I was a collector of boxing magazines until it got to a point when I was drowning in them, so I decided to give them away.

I did keep a few, among them a The Ring from 1959 which I bought from its archive.
    Ingemar Johansson has just won the heavy crown from Floyd Patterson, Jack Dempsey is interviewed and he has not the slightest doubt: Johansson will dominate, and have his '0' intact, for years to come!

Comment

Thanks for this chaps...top work!

I knew a fair bit about big Horace Notice being undefeated and for a while his star shone pretty brightly here in the UK and he looked like a guy who might well go on and fight for a world title.

As a kid I remember my local ITV television station getting right behind him and have vague memories of him being a very heavy handed, strong, come forward fighter and perhaps a more robust and explosive version of Gary Mason. Think Horace quit the game due to eye problems?

The big, big suprise was the half-forgotten Welshman Rudi Pika.

As a big Bruno fan growing up I knew he'd given Frank a major tear-up in their ABA heavyweight final. Bruno would admit that it was a real give-and-take war, but I had not realised he'd turned pro with Duff and also won 13 on the bounce.

Tragically, Pika quit the game and later killed himself according to his Wiki entry. Notice and Pika both interesting and talented fighters and cases of what might have been!

Comment

Undefeated boxers who ended their careers

Argentine Boxer Marcos Oscar Garro died 3-years after retiring at 22-0 (KO 9).

Comment

Working...
        X