Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joshua has fought 2 live bodies and been wobbled by both.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yoz View Post
    I agree with the majority here.

It's clear AJ will need to work on his defence, if he's going to have a long reign a la Wladimir, but the fundamentals are there.

He surprised me on Saturday, and showed great heart to come back after what happened in the latter part of the fifth, and the knockdown in the sixth. Wladimir, too, for his age, looked in great shape, and proved many doubters wrong re. his chin/heart.

All in all, credit to both men.
    Klitschko has always had a good chin and I've always said that, his issue was his heart. At this point in his career he has grown past those fears and knows his body can handle more, case in point in the 11th he was actively recovering under the onslaught of Joshua and gets up from the second kd in better condition than the first.

Comment

Joshua showed great heart and knocked out Wlad. Instead of being happy for him, it seems like people are more concerned with his "weak chin" or how he wasn't ready for the fight because Wlad was able to hit him.

I mean 99% of HW boxers would be out cold had Wlad landed that same punch on them, yet Joshua got up and fought through it. And if Joshua wasn't ready for the fight, how did he drop Wlad twice and win the fight via stoppage when no one else has been able to do it in over 10 years?

Just not understanding what more people expected of him?

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
        Klitschko has always had a good chin and I've always said that, his issue was his heart. At this point in his career he has grown past those fears and knows his body can handle more, case in point in the 11th he was actively recovering under the onslaught of Joshua and gets up from the second kd in better condition than the first.
        Absolutely.

Like you, I have drawn issue with this 'glass chin' nonsense for years.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
          Joshua showed great heart and knocked out Wlad. Instead of being happy for him, it seems like people are more concerned with his "weak chin" or how he wasn't ready for the fight because Wlad was able to hit him.

I mean 99% of HW boxers would be out cold had Wlad landed that same punch on them, yet Joshua got up and fought through it. And if Joshua wasn't ready for the fight, how did he drop Wlad twice and win the fight via stoppage when no one else has been able to do it in over 10 years?

I guess there's no pleasing some!

Comment

Im guessing i'm included in this group who "just can't be happy for Joshua". Tell me, when do the celebrations end so we can get back to talking about boxing and how these guys matchup so I can return then.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
              Nearly stopped by one. Just something to temper the hype train, he is mainly power and muscles but he is very vulnerable when trying to impose that on guys who will fight back.

Even Klitschko although a top guy, doesn't like to fight guys off him, he did in the 5th and the rewards were huge, unfortunately for him he couldn't muster it up in the 11th, where I think if he had, there would have been a repeat of the 5th.

you just described HW boxing.

Comment

Just needs to be more controlled when he hurts guys.

Both times he got rocked were when he was going in for the kill thinking the job was done. That's an easy fix.

We learned a lot more positives about Joshua on Saturday (chin, heart, calm when hurt, etc...) than negatives.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  you just described HW boxing.
                  not true, example, fury, wlad and wilder will land clean punches to end fights (fury not so much, but an example to debunk "heavyweight boxing"), joshua wears guys down with his strength. Most of his power is strength that saps any stamina the opponents have after awhile, he hits hard, but he's not the clean operator is what I mean. He has a very strong and heavy body that trying to wrestle or move (with punches) him will just wreck you.

Look at the whyte fight, what stopped that guy wasn't just the uppercut but the fact that the guy was very very tired at that point vs joshua's overwhelming strength.

His strengths so far have been mid to inside range punches and that's no coincidence as the place you want to be to outmuscle folk.
                  Last edited by SplitSecond; 05-01-2017, 11:44 AM.

Comment

You get hit by a heavyweight, you'll most likely get stunned a time or two. Not everyone can have a Ray Mercer/Sam Peter type chin in that division

Comment

these guys have not been wathcing boxing for long enough to understand HW. both guys showed good chins and recuperative powers. those punches would knock any man on the planet down. both guys were in great shape. joshua's body is the sort that needs to take a break. wladimir looked as lean as i have eve rseen him, and was super light on the scale. those two were in incredible shape! they walked through some hellish bombs. wladimir is 41 and has boxed 369 rounds as a pro. almost 70 fights. and joshua has only had 19 fights and 55 rounds total in his pro career. what those two were able to accomplish was astounding. best HW title fight since lewis - klitshcko almost 15 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X