No announcement yet.

PLanet's birth revealed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLanet's birth revealed

Astronomers studying a newborn star have caught a detailed glimpse of planets forming around it, revealing a never-before seen stage of planetary evolution.

Large gas giant planets appear to be clearing a gap in the disk of material surrounding the star, and using gravity to channel material across the gap to the interior, helping the star to grow. Theoretical simulations have predicted such bridges between outer and inner portions of disks surrounding stars, but none has been directly observed until now.

An international team of astronomers has used the partially completed Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) to study a young star about 450 light-years from Earth. They identified two thin filaments of gas streaming from the outer disk to the inner, across a broad gap cut by young planets.

"Currently, the only mechanism known to produce such gap-crossing dense molecular flows, with residual carbon monoxide gas more diffusely spread out inside the gap, is planetary formation," lead scientist Simon Casassus of the University of Chile told Space.com in an email.

More here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50345178...science-space/

But how...? It's GOD, that's how.

Comment

If the universe is so large that planet's are born every now and then, there is the possibility that there are also living creatures outside our planet. Fascinating.

Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post
      But how...? It's GOD, that's how.
      Where the hell did you get this idea?
      Last edited by led; 01-03-2013, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by led* View Post
        If the universe is so large that planet's are born every now and then, there is the possibility that there are also living creatures outside our planet. Fascinating.

not really. i don't think planets lay eggs or give birth....or fornicate.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmie Smalls View Post
          not really. i don't think planets lay eggs or give birth....or fornicate.
          Earth is not an egg. Idiot.

Comment

That's awesome.

Comment

imagine the chaos in this process of forming a planet...

chaos must happen before order...

duality of nature at play and it astounds me...

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
                imagine the chaos in this process of forming a planet...

chaos must happen before order...

duality of nature at play and it astounds me...
                Chaos and order are the correct terms. I'm sure the scientists involved in the theoretical simulation to do the prediction used chaos theory. A theory which says there is order in chaos which is actually about initial conditions that develop into complexities. I'm sure people here are familiar with butterfly effect.

Comment

Originally posted by led* View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Kadyo View Post
                    Chaos and order are the correct terms. I'm sure the scientists involved in the theoretical simulation to do the prediction used chaos theory. A theory which says there is order in chaos which is actually about initial conditions that develop into complexities. I'm sure people here are familiar with butterfly effect.
                    fascinating isn't it? chaos and order are 2 sides of the same coin... from the formation of planets down to human affairs...

some see chaos as evil but it is really essential as ****... order alone shuts down human creativity and ingenuity... chaos solves that problem...

duality and symmetry rules...

Comment

Working...
                    X