No announcement yet.

Holmes VS Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holmes VS Tyson

At their primes,who do you think would win between Holmes and Tyson?

As for me,I'd pick Holmes to win by UD or a late stoppage?

Originally posted by Killer Angel View Post
    At their primes,who do you think would win between Holmes and Tyson?

As for me,I'd pick Holmes to win by UD or a late stoppage?
    Here are some opinions from the other day, as we just went over this.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=375101

Comment

tyson would have always been holmes' daddy .
      a prime holmes could have lasted longer against tyson , but still does would not have reached the end of the 12th round in most occasions in a 3 fights or more series.

Comment

Hi Frankenfrank, problem is......you say that prime Holmes could have lasted longer against Tyson, but the amount of people that Tyson stopped after say round six is very low.

Holmes's distance stamina, chin and all round ability were far higher than the following fighters that prime Tyson did stop after round six:

Ribalta
        Biggs
        Ruddock

And you would have to rate Holmes's defensive smarts and chin over the following fighters who actually lasted the distance with prime/near prime Tyson:

James Quick Tillis
        Mitch Green
        Bonecrusher Smith
        Tony Tucker

Therefore I think we are more times than not, looking at a distance fight.......and very likely a close one. Holmes was a strong finisher! I sit on the fence with who would actually take the decision though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          Hi Frankenfrank, problem is......you say that prime Holmes could have lasted longer against Tyson, but the amount of people that Tyson stopped after say round six is very low.

Holmes's distance stamina, chin and all round ability were far higher than the following fighters that prime Tyson did stop after round six:

Ribalta
          Biggs
          Ruddock

And you would have to rate Holmes's defensive smarts and chin over the following fighters who actually lasted the distance with prime/near prime Tyson:

James Quick Tillis
          Mitch Green
          Bonecrusher Smith
          Tony Tucker

Therefore I think we are more times than not, looking at a distance fight.......and very likely a close one. Holmes was a strong finisher! I sit on the fence with who would actually take the decision though.
          maybe ur right.
          so in most occasions , holmes would have lost a decision to tyson. why ?
          effective aggression . the same thing that won tyson his fights against tucker , smith , ruddock , and the rest you mentioned.
          now , look at the fighters whom gave holmes problems : spinks and norton. i think you will agree tyson will hit holmes harder than both and will continue punishing him and holmes will never get an opportunity to finish. tyson is a much better finisher and a much much better finisher p4p , both than holmes and than shavers whom had holmes hurt , and tyson even had a better chin and defense than shavers.
          so in most occasions holmes will lose a decision and in the minority of them , he will get stopped. maybe inside 6 .

Comment

if holmes gets by the 5th he takes a close ud

Comment

Hi again Frankenfrank, yes I could see Tyson taking a 12 round decision. As I said before I sit on the fence on this one......for me it could go either way.

I like to think of Holmes's prime as being 1980-1982, he was a touch green against Norton, (not to mention sporting a left bicep injury).....and a bit post prime when he fought Spinks. Still a good fighter but not quite what he was. But they were much different styles to Tyson regardless, though I agree Tyson would hit harder.

I could see Tyson scoring a knock down against prime Holmes early, it may well go some way to tipping the scorecards in his favour. But Tyson didn't drop Bonecrusher or Tucker in 12 rounds each from memory......and prime Larry was more defensively sound than these two so I wouldn't be too sure.

I watched Holmes vs Shavers 1 (the fight where Larry didn't get knocked down) the other night and hell, that man had one solid chin......very tough to knock him out. Shavers was pretty impressive that night but the scoring was landslide Larry.

Of course, Tyson was faster, a better finisher, better chin, early rounds pace too. He'd be a real handful for five or six rounds against the best heavyweights in history. I put my house on Mike being up at the halfway stage. His early aggression and accuracy being key. But Holmes like Tucker and Bonecrusher was good at holding, spoiling, deflecting shots......the only difference being that he was better than these two at it.....and he would come on strong in the second half of the fight, Tyson tended to cruise to victory rather than storm to the finish.

For the record I'll say that over a 12 round fight, ok I'll give Tyson the edge in a decision. Over 15 rounds......I'll pick Larry.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post

Ribalta
                Biggs
                Ruddock

James Quick Tillis
                Mitch Green
                Bonecrusher Smith
                Tony Tucker

Holmes' chin and recuperative powers when he was in his prime was legendary so I don't see him getting KOed in the first 6 rounds. Tyson's problem is that if he doesn't get him out in the first 6 rounds he's not going to get him out after that and he's not going to be able to pile up enough rounds early to win a 15 round decision: After 6 it would all Holmes. Like the young George Foreman Tyson used up his stamina early in fights going all out for the quick KO. If you watch the fights where Tyson went past 6 you'll see he slows down markedly after that point which is the biggest reason his KO percentage drops so sharply after 6. In Biggs' case, Tyson didn't want an early KO as he wanted to punish Biggs so he paced himself and was much more measured than usual. Biggs was an unusual case though! With a 12 round fight against Holmes Tyson may be able to bank enough early rounds to get a decision: It certainly would be close on the cards. 15 rounds and Holmes wins a solid UD.

Poet

Comment

I couldn't agree more Poet.

Comment

in a fight with shavers, when holmes got put down hard if earnie didnt have such a ****ty conditioning and stamina he could have easily finished holmes off. but if you watch the fight you'll see a dazed holmes trying to regain his senses as shavers throws one wild missing hook after the other.

if holmes went down againt tyson, mike would have finished him no doubt. other than that, prime for prime, i think holmes forces the fight to go to the cards, and then depending on how agressive holmes was he may win a decision.

but he would need to do more than just ****ing jab at mike if he wanted a chance at winning.

Comment

Working...
                    X