Is Dillian Whyte suing Boxingscene?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zelda View Post
    Did BoxingScene report something wrong?

They tested Whyte, they found small amounts of two banned substances, but they are not going to press any further or ban him. That's basically what the UKAD report is saying.

Whyte is not being cleared in the sense that the news of a positive result was false or nothing ever happened. The only thing could be that it was supposed to be confidential with UKAD but somehow got out. So, Whyte can sue UKAD, or if someone else is involved, for breaching confidentiality but I think Hearn/Whyte must have come to some sort of an agreement that neither side goes any further.
    UKAD and Whyte both release a joint statement about the findings.

It’s safe to say Whyte isn’t suing them, the target is Hauser and whoever his source is. Hauser reported a confidential information, which had a knock on effect of Whyte getting his mandatory status taken away by the WBC.

Now it has been proven that the information that was leaked was wrong. But it has already cost Whyte his status.

This is the basis of him going after Hauser, basis saying in future wait until the outcome of any investigation before reporting it.

Do not assume someone is guilty until they have had their day in court.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
      Even if the source is incorrect, any publisher that re-publishes can be sued on similar grounds.
      Are you saying the accuracy of the confidential information has no bearing on whether the breach of confidentiality is actionable? That may very well be the case, though it does preclude certain types of action being brought I think, certainly most types of deformation are ruled out if the information is accurate.

As to the re-publishing bit it's not a field I'm really familiar with, I kinda assumed journalistic freedoms allowed journalists a good deal of latitude with the reporting of confidential information, though I'm not sure about the status of republishing especially how that applies to websites based in a different country to the one in which the breach took place. You got any further information on that, man?
      Last edited by Citizen Koba; 12-08-2019, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Did BoxingScene report something wrong?

They reported that Whyte took dianabol. There is no mention of that in the UKAD report which concluded Whyte didn't take any steroids.

At the very least Boxingscene and Hauser owe Whyte an apology. Whether that is enough to avoid legal action I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
          This is not true. He can easily file a lawsuit for defamation if there's been one single article read by more than one person, that even suggests that he's done something illegal.
          Ah, I get you... I hadn't been considering the legal staus of Dianabol in the UK as a Class C drug, but was only considering the situation from the point of view of boxing rules and regs.

Then again Hauser does not at any actuallly claim anything other that that Whyte failed a test I think, at no point in his article does he actually make the claim that Dillian used the drug deliberately. Bit of a grey area I should imagine.

https://www.boxingscene.com/dillian-...stance--141178
          Last edited by Citizen Koba; 12-08-2019, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
            It’s safe to say Whyte isn’t suing them, the target is Hauser and whoever his source is. Hauser reported a confidential information, which had a knock on effect of Whyte getting his mandatory status taken away by the WBC.
            The source has to be Matchroom, Whyte's own team, or UKAD or its representative lab. Can you force someone to reveal their source? I don't think journalists do that but I am no law expert.

Even if they found out, Hauser can claim he got info and he reported it. While I do not have the exact text, but if he said that Whyte tested positive..that is true. If he claimed that Whyte definitely did cheat and has been proven to be on PED, that would be wrong. UKAD did not mention which substances they were.

Now it has been proven that the information that was leaked was wrong. But it has already cost Whyte his status.
            Has it? depends on what leaked...that Whyte tested positive? definitely not wrong.

This is the basis of him going after Hauser, basis saying in future wait until the outcome of any investigation before reporting it.
            Don't journalists give breaking news, inside stories, investigative stories all the time? Yes, the wording has to be careful but nobody waits till 'it's over'.

Is the media tight-lipped before the congressional committee hearing is over for Trump? Didn't news outlets report Kashoggi case? Do not media people report hijacking, aircrash investigations, etc. stories all the time?

Comment

Originally posted by EnglishOxide View Post
              They reported that Whyte took dianabol. There is no mention of that in the UKAD report which concluded Whyte didn't take any steroids.

At the very least Boxingscene and Hauser owe Whyte an apology. Whether that is enough to avoid legal action I'm not sure.
              Oh, I see.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                I hope so ,it’s a fraudulent site with defamation of characters all the time bc it’s a Wilder site ......yea and what ? What a bunch of crap daily on here and the posters are ignorant 24/7 on here like Larry and co.....if they got hit by a bus ppl would laugh on here.lolololll
                You need to calm it a bit peanut head. We understand your hairline is pushed back to the 1950's but that's not boxingscenes fault isit it's genetic. Half assed jab throwing potato you.
                Last edited by Gideon lock; 12-08-2019, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EnglishOxide View Post

They reported a failed a test for Dianabol I think, not that he had (deliberately) taken it. There's a subtle difference, but one that's possibly very significant in this context.

Comment

Oh, I see.
                    So basically the wrong info got put out there, that’s according to UKAD, that info cost Whyte his WBC status. UKAD didn’t tell the WBC to judge Whyte based on reports from a journalist, nor did they tell the WBC that they had concluded their investigations.

The WBC basically made their decision based on hauser’s source, Whyte can actually go after the WBC if he wanted to, but he is now friends with Sulaiman and he knows it’s Team Wilder that are pressing the WBC for all those roadblocks.

Which comes back to Hauser and his reports on a confidential matter.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaneMosleySr View Post
                      LMFAO for what, reporting something that was true?

Yeah, that’s allowed. Sorry to inform everyone.
                      I actually don't know if there is precedent for this somewhere, i'm sure there must be. However publishing confidential details of an on-going legal case is probably criminal somewhere wthin the laws. I'm sure a very expensive lawyer would also argue defamation of character, citing boxing scene's tie to CBS (CBS acquired BS back in 2018 I think)

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal. However I make a point of trying not to actively follow boxing journalists who operate in this manner. (publishing to make yourself green and hiding behind ethics)

Comment

Working...
                      X