Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are the media calling this fight "Canelo vs. Golovkin" when GGG is the champ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canelo is the one ppl wanna see.

Nuff said.

Comment

I think they had to, for marketing purposes. I wouldn't be surprised if Golovkin's side even preferred it. Canelo has the name and $$ is good for everyone.

Comment

its nothing new.

look at the posters for Mayweather-Castillo, or Delahoya-Sturm, or a hundred others. The better known fighter often gets the top billing, regardless of whose titles are on the line......

and I would suspect on fight night, GGG will walk first, but be introduced last......

Comment

Originally posted by dannnnn View Post
          Canelo is the challenger to Golovkin's titles, so why is his name first?

This "A-side" nonsense is disrespectful to boxing and its traditions.

And please don't say he's the lineal champ because that is an absolute joke in this case considering he didn't even beat a middleweight to win (or defend) the title, fought at 155lbs catchweight each time and then vacated his actual world title and moved to another weight class.
          Oh man does this really need to be explained to you?

Comment

Nelo the A side

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
              Are you new to the sport?
              It's precisely because I'm not new to the sport that this kind of thing stands out. It's a product of the modern era, to negotiate having the more popular fighter's name read first irrespective of who is champion and challenger.

Throughout boxing history the champion's name has always come first. I didn't like it when Cotto or Mayweather did it and I don't like it now. It's a diva-ish demand. It's not like it would hurt the promotion, Canelo's name would still be on there.

Obviously I understand the reason behind it. I just don't agree with it.

Comment

Originally posted by dannnnn View Post
                It's precisely because I'm not new to the sport that this kind of thing stands out. It's a product of the modern era, to negotiate having the more popular fighter's name read first irrespective of who is champion and challenger.

Throughout boxing history the champion's name has always come first. I didn't like it when Cotto or Mayweather did it and I don't like it now. It's a diva-ish demand. It's not like it would hurt the promotion, Canelo's name would still be on there.

Obviously I understand the reason behind it. I just don't agree with it.
                The fighter isn't demanding it the networks and advertisers want the name of the bigger star 1st so it attracts more casual fans.

You don't advertise a movie by listing the co-star 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                  The fighter isn't demanding it the networks and advertisers want the name of the bigger star 1st so it attracts more casual fans.

This reminded me of posters I've seen of that Batman movie where Jack Nicholson was the Joker. Nicholson, as the bigger star, was always listed first despite that Keaton played the titular character.

There is no question that Canelo's name should be first. It's not a snub to GGG's status as champion to recognize that Canelo is the main draw.
                  Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 05-10-2017, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post

that is not known at this time. Nobody knows WHAT canelo demanded.

But it really doesnt matter. Its commonplace in big fights to negotiate all that stuff, whose name is first on the poster, whose photo is on the left side of the poster, who sits on the left side of the dais at the presser, whose logos get to be on the backdrop at the presser, who weighs first, who walks first, who gets introduced first, whose banners get to hang on the light grid, etc etc, etc.

ALL of those things are negotiated in a big fight.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                      that is not known at this time. Nobody knows WHAT canelo demanded.

But it really doesnt matter. Its commonplace in big fights to negotiate all that stuff, whose name is first on the poster, whose photo is on the left side of the poster, who sits on the left side of the dais at the presser, whose logos get to be on the backdrop at the presser, who weighs first, who walks first, who gets introduced first, whose banners get to hang on the light grid, etc etc, etc.

ALL of those things are negotiated in a big fight.
                      Yes but GBP is the lead promoter and this is an HBO PPV fight that is likely staged in Texas or Vegas.

Canelo is the top GBP fighter, highest profile HBO fighter, and the house fighter in both Texas and Vegas.

The primary advertisers will be Canelo sponsors like Tecate.

This is a Canelo fight. You know this OP.

Comment

Working...
                      X