No announcement yet.

Fish Oil supplements

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suup View Post
    Nice, I also suffer from dry eyes, especially toward the end of the day.

Think I'm gonna give it a shot. I don't really use ebay, I'm more of an Amazon guy with prime and all that. I'll probably try getting it there first and use ebay later if I like it.

These both are the top choices on Amazon with great reviews on both, you say the "Ultimate Omega" version is best?

Nordic Naturals - Ultimate Omega, Support for a Healthy Heart, 180 Soft Gels (FFP)

vs

Nordic Naturals - Omega-3, Cognition, Heart Health, and Immune Support
    The Ultimate is more concentrated. They remove some of the non-Omega 3 aspects of the oil and give you more of the concentrate. This means fewer pills to take, less fish-burp or aftertaste (some are prone to this). I believe it's slightly cheaper to to go Ultimate when you do the math on the omega-per-dollar break-down.

Regular = 690mg Omega 3 per two 1,000mg caps.
    Ultimate = 1280mg Omega 3 per two 1,000mg caps

For dry eyes, I'd take a couple a day of the Ultimate. If you exercise a lot or have a taxing lifestyle, you can go w/ 4 daily.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      The Ultimate is more concentrated. They remove some of the non-Omega 3 aspects of the oil and give you more of the concentrate. This means fewer pills to take, less fish-burp or aftertaste (some are prone to this). I believe it's slightly cheaper to to go Ultimate when you do the math on the omega-per-dollar break-down.

Regular = 690mg Omega 3 per two 1,000mg caps.
      Ultimate = 1280mg Omega 3 per two 1,000mg caps

For dry eyes, I'd take a couple a day of the Ultimate. If you exercise a lot or have a taxing lifestyle, you can go w/ 4 daily.
      I just paid aprox 9.34 US for a bottle of 200 1000mg caps with 300mg of Omega 3...making that $9.34 for a total of 60,000 mg of Omega 3 vs a 120 caps bottle of Ultimate for say $23.50 based on what you say the average cost is @ 640 mg per cap...making for a total of 76,800 mg of Omega 3 per bottle. So for $18.68 US I can get 120,000 mg of the Jamieson brand (a Canadian Co) from a regular Pharmacy (a chain) when it's on sale. P4P Jamieson 4 the W...it's also know as a very good quality brand by nutritionists at the health food stores here. You can get it here for 12.49 CDN/9.72 US

http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=8678

but if you shop around you may do better although I have no idea about US regulations on buying CDN. I do know that so far when I but US...although there are regulations and possible custom taxes...for some reason everything just comes across no problem with no extra charges whenever I buy US.

Comment

I tried these once. Maybe I had a bad brand, but they not only stunk but also smelled so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
          I tried these once. Maybe I had a bad brand, but they not only stunk but also smelled so bad.
          That tends to be cheap or expired fish oil. The good stuff is high purity and barely has any odor, even if you break it open. The prescription ones I took were odorless and Nordic just has a mild lemon flavor if you burp.

There are wildly different ranges in quality between fish oils.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            That tends to be cheap or expired fish oil. The good stuff is high purity and barely has any odor, even if you break it open. The prescription ones I took were odorless and Nordic just has a mild lemon flavor if you burp.

There are wildly different ranges in quality between fish oils.
            I need to step up my game then.

Comment

Jaded mentioning his dog got me thinking about an example I forgot to mention. When my dog was 2 his fur went from soft puppy fur to normal, bristly dog fur. At 6 years old we put him on a food in which the primary ingredient was salmon and he went back to having the softest puppy fur and gained interest in running outside again. He's 10 years old now, fur like a puppy, and runs with my wife when she trains for marathons.

I know that's just a dog but it's an example how omega 3s can really make a significant difference.

Comment

I recommend just eating a can of anchovies and a can of sardines daily. Buying a fish oil capsule or tablet, first you're trusting a company to provide you with the most precious thing (omega3s) in the health industry to you in a 'fresh' manner when all you need to do is eat what I'm telling you.

The fish go well by themselves (king oscar Mediterranean) I find, when eaten after vigorous jump rope, (i know a different kind of protein would be better post workout, but I prefer to eat the fish now because I don't want it otherwise) Do that with a salad, no dressing, eaten with olives and gouda or smoked gouda, tomato, beets, avacado, carrots, celery etc. Need to be eating one avacado a day.
                Last edited by Warrior Scholar; 01-02-2018, 10:04 PM.

Comment

I was going to speak about my experiences being on good quality Omega 3's and again about NOT being on them, but I really can't add anything significant beyond what Redd Foxx has said.

Comment

I take omega 3 every morning. From fish oil pills. It's supposed to be great for cholesterol, heart health and mental function. I can't say for sure I feel any better taking them, but there seems to be convincing evidence of their benefits.

Comment

Working...
                    X