No announcement yet.

To Pimp a Butterfly

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Pimp a Butterfly

Kendrick Lamar dropped his first album since Good Kid, m.A.A.d City solidified his status as the premier rapper in the game according to most. To Pimp a Butterfly has been out less than a week but is already considered a modern classic and an all time masterpiece. It was streamed 9.6 million times in the first day, a worldwide record for a new release and is expected to sell huge numbers in its first week (which is up tomorrow).

personally, i loved it. i love his lyricism both in terms of rhyming and the actual content he speaks of. i love the beats and the feel of the album as well, if this is not music at its best its damn close. simply brilliant.

what do you think?

I've only listened to around half of it since I always start from track one everytime I try to finish listening. I like the album's sound its bringing something new to the hip-hop scene that is missing from mainstream airplay.

Comment

On my 1st listen, Im not feelin it. He still comes down clean lyrically. But that's were it ends for me. It sounded hella bland to me. But that was listening to it on my laptop, and I will put it in the car tomorrow morning. Hopefully it'll sound different then. But as it stands right now, its a major let down, and is a sop****re slump as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

I listened to the first few songs and then I threw the CD away.

Comment

Originally posted by Genius~ View Post
          Come on, it can't be that bad? I'm going to check it out while drinkin some crown.

chief!

Comment

I don't like him.

Comment

Originally posted by Genius~ View Post
              I thought you were joking but you're right, it's ****in terrible. The sound of the album is awful. It's like a mix between willie hutch, Curtis mayfield and 90s west coast, which I love but this just sounds like a cheap knockoff. Not to the mention the fact he thinks he's Gil Scott heron with a weird andre 3000 type voice. Maybe I'm just old and have heard it all before, so maybe I'm not the best judge for something of this generation, but this isn't impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
                Come on, it can't be that bad? I'm going to check it out while drinkin some crown.

chief!
                On Crown Blancs mah homie. And after a 2nd listen(in the car with the 12s goin of course), this CD jams. Its a good follow up, and worth the buy. I prefer havin his family on verses the spoken word and shiet, the 1st CD was more personal to me IMHO. But the 2nd one rocks too. Just not as hard as the 1st one.

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
                  I thought you were joking but you're right, it's ****in terrible. The sound of the album is awful. It's like a mix between willie hutch, Curtis mayfield and 90s west coast, which I love but this just sounds like a cheap knockoff. Not to the mention the fact he thinks he's Gil Scott heron with a weird andre 3000 type voice. Maybe I'm just old and have heard it all before, so maybe I'm not the best judge for something of this generation, but this isn't impressive.
                  Its not the world beater that they was makin it out to be, but its very solid. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than that shiet they tryin to sell us now(excluding Krit, Curen$$ey, and L.E.$.)

I was impressed with the complexity of the album after I gave it a 2nd listen. Give it another listen, when its just you and your thoughts my man(on a system might I not add), and it'll jump out and get atcha.

Comment

Best album of 2015.

1. To Pimp a Butterfly
                    2. 2014 Forest Hills Drive
                    3. Tetsuo & Youth

To be honest, 2 and 3 is razor ****ing thin. I swear, Lupe pushed the wigs back on every rapper with that album.

Kendrick though just went on a whole different tangent with that album. Deep lyrics, shrouded behind loud/busy funk music, very afrocentric, very dark album.

Comment

Working...
                    X