would larry holmes of 1980 have beat a prime tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
    Why would it only be a 12-round fight?
    Well Tyson never fought in the 15 rounds days so i based it off what i know he can do. I actually think Mike would have been a solid 15 round guy, he had a good engine at his best. Would he have beaten Holmes over 15? Not sure, probably not in fact.

Comment

Great fight!!! The punch that no one ever gives Larry much credit for might be the deciding factor..............Uppercut!!! I see Mike moving in and Larry half stepping back looking to land the right upper! Tuff fight for both men. Tyson needs to be the younger version who still had fast moves and hands and feet not the guy who fought Evander! That guy gets stopped by the Holmes who had more determination than Tyson showed! Again tuff match!
      Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
        Great fight!!! The punch that no one ever gives Larry much credit for might be the deciding factor..............Uppercut!!! I see Mike moving in and Larry half stepping back looking to land the right upper! Tuff fight for both men. Tyson needs to be the younger version who still had fast moves and hands and feet not the guy who fought Evander! That guy gets stopped by the Holmes who had more determination than Tyson showed! Again tuff match!
        Ray.
        Yeah Holmes had an uppercut, real nice. Im sure Mike would eat his fair share but he was tough and determined too at one point. Agreed Mike had regressed massively by the time he fought Evander and that version losses badly.

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
          Well Tyson never fought in the 15 rounds days so i based it off what i know he can do. I actually think Mike would have been a solid 15 round guy, he had a good engine at his best. Would he have beaten Holmes over 15? Not sure, probably not in fact.
          He had at least one fight scheduled for 15 rounds, so I don't think it's unfair to schedule any fantasy fight for 15 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
            I think it would be an excellent fight but I reckon Tyson wins it, Holmes' jab while superb is actually kinda good for tyson, it's a bit of a bazooka jab and he tended to move in a bit closer when he threw it - a nice hurtful jab - BUT that makes it easier for Tyson to get in close and do damage - especially when matched with prime Tyson's epic head movement and ability to slip. I also don't think the Holmes that was demolished by Tyson was as far gone as people make out.
            what he said

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
              He had at least one fight scheduled for 15 rounds, so I don't think it's unfair to schedule any fantasy fight for 15 rounds.
              Refresh my memory who was that against? No it's not unfair but i just went with 12, 15 i feel is a harder fight for Tyson and one in which Holmes could well win.

It's a great fight either way and it's too bad Holmes was past his best when the fight actually happened

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                The Biggs fight was scheduled for 15 rounds......

Comment

Larry Holmes was long long passed his best when he fought Tyson!!!!
                  Anyone in boxing will agree to that, try studing instead of blabbin'
                  Larry was 40 years old!!!! Ray.

Comment

Holmes was a very smart fighter, he would be wary of Tyson's ability to slip punches and would be careful with his jab early.

Tyson would likely have a few moments early, but Holmes would survive and dominate the latter half of the fight. It would be tough for Tyson to get set and Holmes would be effective at tying him up. This limits the number of chances Tyson would get. Once the head movement slows, Holmes jab would take over.

12 round fight Holmes would win by a somewhat close decision, he would have given up a few rounds early.

15 rounds I think Holmes stops Tyson late

Comment

How far from his prime was Tyson when he faced James Tillis?

Comment

Working...
                      X