No announcement yet.

Tall Fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tall Fighters

Ok Im not a boxer yet and infact I havent been to the gym yet but could someone tell me how I would box if I was a tall boxer for my weight class? (Im 6' .5" 150 lbs) Ive also heard that tall skinny fighters tend to have more power than average weighted fighters? (thats just me wanting to be like Hearns)

Wow, 6'5'', 150? How old are you?

I'm 6'6'' and I am thinking about trying to get down to 175, i'm about 215 right now, but I think that would be to much. Shoot, if you lost 3 pounds you could go Welterweight.

Are you atheletic?

Comment

no i think he meant 6 and a 1/2

Comment

He said 6' 1/2" not 6'5". 6'5" and 150 lbs. would just be freakish.

Comment

lol yea im not 6'5". Im 17. Im a decent sportsplayer. Got MVP soccer player couple years back...

Comment

OH! My bad guys.

Yeah, I was going to say 6'5'' and 150. Just throw his ass in the ring.

My bad though

Comment

have you guys seen that middle weight thats like 6'4

Comment

If you are a tall fighter for your weight then the things that I would recommend are learn a good jab, good lateral movement and keep your elbows tight when in gaurd position.

The jab is the key to setting up what ever you want to land and being tall is a huge advantage when you know how to use your jab properly.

The lateral movement will be handy because guys are going to have to come to you to hit you, and they will come hard. Be fast, be smart and use that jab while sliding out of the way. Learn to moving to your left as well as your right. Its akward to move to your right while jabbing for a right hander but practice it, it will come and you will find that it sets up alot of things that other fighters dont normally see. All because guys rarely move to their right when throwing the jab.

And learn to keep those elbows tight to your body when throwing punches. Meaning, the hand not throwing the blow should be in gaurd position and you elbows to the side of your body. You dont want to have your arms flapping away once you get in with experienced fighters because they will take your body and tear it to shreds...........Rockin'

Comment

Just get your ASS to the gym and start boxing dude!!!

Comment

As someone who is 6' even and fights at 156, my best recommendation to you is get the jab and 1-2 combos down to an art and spar with all the little bastards that know how to get low and inside as much as you can. don't rely on your height too much because if you fight long enough, sooner or later someone taller will come along.

also, follow rockin's advice and, once you get good enough, learn all the holding and swivel movements to keep from getting cornered. (example, if youre right handed and on the ropes, throw a jab past and to the right of your opponents head, then push him toward the ropes that youre on with the hand while stepping forward and to the right to get away from him. theres lots of other tricks that a good trainer can teach you)

Comment

Working...
                    X