Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thomas Hearns vs Donald Curry - Who's the more accomplished Welterweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Hearns vs Donald Curry - Who's the more accomplished Welterweight?

Now obviously Tommy is the greater,more accomplished fighter than Curry and has the greater overall resume,but who is the more accomplished welterweight between the two?

Tommy's greatest wins at welterweight

Pipino Cuevas
    Randy Shields
    Harold Weston
    bruce Curry

Curry's greatest wins at welterweight

Marlon Starling 2x
    Milton McCrory
    Colin Jones

Thoughts?
    Thomas Hearns
    66.67%
    Donald Curry
    33.33%

Cuevas was a hall of famer and was on a 12 fight win streak going into the Hearns fight. Hearns destroyed him in 2.

I don't think Curry did anything better than that at WW.

Comment

At just welterweight accomplishments they are close. I do put giving Leonard a great fight in losing much higher than getting man handled by Honeyghan and that hurts.

If you add the many accomplishments at super welterweight it puts Hearns in another universe!

Comment

Curry unified the division and beat Starling twice, who I hold in higher regard than Cuevas in a head to head sense. His knockout of McCrory was just as exhilarating as the Hearns knockout of Cuevas, even though Cuevas was a more dangerous fighter than was McCrory. That was one of the sweetest shots you'll ever see.

Hearns took Leonard to the brink and that counts for something. As strange as this sounds, I'd rank Tommy as a greater Welterweight but I think Curry accomplished a little bit more at 147. Head to head Tommy is such a nightmare that it compels me to rate him higher.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgringo View Post
          Curry unified the division and beat Starling twice, who I hold in higher regard than Cuevas in a head to head sense. His knockout of McCrory was just as exhilarating as the Hearns knockout of Cuevas, even though Cuevas was a more dangerous fighter than was McCrory. That was one of the sweetest shots you'll ever see.

Hearns took Leonard to the brink and that counts for something. As strange as this sounds, I'd rank Tommy as a greater Welterweight but I think Curry accomplished a little bit more at 147. Head to head Tommy is such a nightmare that it compels me to rate him higher.
          Yeah, I feel the same thing. I think Curry's overall accomplishments were a little better but I still have Hearns higher just based on how brutal he was.

Comment

Hearns also had wins over former welterweight champ Angel Espada, Eddie Gazo, Harold Weston, Clyde Gray.

Curry's wins over Starling were impressive but they were also close.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
              Hearns also had wins over former welterweight champ Angel Espada, Eddie Gazo, Harold Weston, Clyde Gray.

Curry's wins over Starling were impressive but they were also close.
              LOL you beat me to it

Comment

Working...
              X