Struggling with press ups...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling with press ups...

(Push ups).

I have quite long arms and not the thickest wrists to be honest.

I struggle a bit with bicep curls, but no were near as bad as press ups.

20 press ups and i'm done .

Anyone else in the same boat, and any solutions like different exercises?.

Sorry for all these random threads by the way, just getting back into training and have a lot of questions floating about my brain .

Check out stew smith's site mate, there's loads of good info and a couple of press up specific routines that will sort your probs out in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Maguire View Post
      (Push ups).

I have quite long arms and not the thickest wrists to be honest.

I struggle a bit with bicep curls, but no were near as bad as press ups.

20 press ups and i'm done .

Anyone else in the same boat, and any solutions like different exercises?.

Sorry for all these random threads by the way, just getting back into training and have a lot of questions floating about my brain .
      press ups are mostly useless(for boxing). they improve your serratus anterior some shoulders a little back and intercostals while they add mass to your chest and biceps. for boxing youd be better off with shrugs and pull ups.

look at it like this, the amount of mass you need to add to your chest and biceps to be good at push ups will take away from your speed.
      Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 10-14-2010, 12:14 PM.

Comment

erm pushups dont touch your biceps. they do your triceps. doing explosive pushups dose help with boxing surely?

Comment

Originally posted by josh-hill View Post
          erm pushups dont touch your biceps. they do your triceps. doing explosive pushups dose help with boxing surely?
          they work both, how do you work one with out the other?

if anything the most stress full moment would be stopping and going the opposite direction working mostly your bicep, well maybe not mostly but the bicep is activated very explosively for that moment.

and explosive are still un benifical as you need more mass on your chest and biceps in proportion to your back/overall weight to do them efficiently and effectively
          Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 10-14-2010, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
            press ups are mostly useless(for boxing). they improve your serratus anterior some shoulders a little back and intercostals while they add mass to your chest and biceps. for boxing youd be better off with shrugs and pull ups.

look at it like this, the amount of mass you need to add to your chest and biceps to be good at push ups will take away from your speed.

Many professional boxers use pressups in their routine. Some of the fastest boxers do pressups in addition to bench press work. Bruce Lee also swore by the pressup, nothing slow about his hands! Prime Shane Mosley too.....

Pressups dont really add much in the way of mass or bulk because they tend to be a high rep exercise. I've done pressups for many many years and they have certainly not affected my punch speed in single shots or combinations.

Bulky, bodybuilding, low rep training that really builds muscle mass will no doubt affect a boxer's handspeed, but not pressups.

I'd go so far as to say that because Mickey can only do about 20 then it really is an exercise that he should concentrate on and perhaps work upto say 50. To put things in perspective, I would have no fear of sparring anyone who could only do a maximum of 20 pressups. I wouldn't fear their power or be concerned about being manhandled in a clinch. Likewise, it doesn't bode well for multi round endurance.

I'd recommend the pressup very highly to Mickey in addition to several other exercises which work the other areas of the body.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
              Many professional boxers use pressups in their routine. Some of the fastest boxers do pressups in addition to bench press work. Bruce Lee also swore by the pressup, nothing slow about his hands! Prime Shane Mosley too.....

Pressups dont really add much in the way of mass or bulk because they tend to be a high rep exercise. I've done pressups for many many years and they have certainly not affected my punch speed in single shots or combinations.

Bulky, bodybuilding, low rep training that really builds muscle mass will no doubt affect a boxer's handspeed, but not pressups.

I'd go so far as to say that because Mickey can only do about 20 then it really is an exercise that he should concentrate on and perhaps work upto say 50. To put things in perspective, I would have no fear of sparring anyone who could only do a maximum of 20 pressups. I wouldn't fear their power or be concerned about being manhandled in a clinch. Likewise, it doesn't bode well for multi round endurance.

I'd recommend the pressup very highly to Mickey in addition to several other exercises which work the other areas of the body.

eh some people can find advantages in press ups.

i assume your of average height and wing span while for people that are tall they are severely handicapped in way of leverage.

and they have to build too much mass to do them efficiently for them to be effective.

Comment

they work both, how do you work one with out the other?

if anything the most stress full moment would be stopping and going the opposite direction working mostly your bicep, well maybe not mostly but the bicep is activated very explosively for that moment.

and explosive are still un benifical as you need more mass on your chest and biceps in proportion to your back/overall weight to do them efficiently and effectively

The bicep acts as a stabiliser in a tricep exercise such as pressups. This occurs in reverse with bicep exercises such as the curl.

I hope you dont think me disrespectful but have you actually boxed or trained in a boxing gym? I can honestly say I've never come across a boxing gym that doesn't include the pressup/pressup with clap/pressup with squat in their floorwork routines......and I've been doing this decades.

There are plenty of training videos of professionals doing pressups in preparation for fights. Why would you challenge accepted training routines?

Floyd Mayweather senior recommends the use of the twisty pressup handles, so as to mirror the action of the punch. I cant say his boxers have had the most sluggish of handspeed!

Comment

eh some people can find advantages in press ups.

i assume your of average height and wing span while for people that are tall they are severely handicapped in way of leverage.

and they have to build too much mass to do them efficiently for them to be effective.

Boxers from the Tommy Hearns physique to the Tyson physique incorporate pressups into their routine.

I'd say that the taller, longer reaching guys probably get a more advantageous stretch on each rep. Granted, the stockier guys do faster reps due to the shortness of their arms. But its all swings and roundabouts.

Not that it matters much, most professional boxers still do them regardless of physique.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                    Boxers from the Tommy Hearns physique to the Tyson physique incorporate pressups into their routine.

I'd say that the taller, longer reaching guys probably get a more advantageous stretch on each rep. Granted, the stockier guys do faster reps due to the shortness of their arms. But its all swings and roundabouts.

Not that it matters much, most professional boxers still do them regardless of physique.
                    yes i train in a gym and i dont do push ups.

i dont really do anything other light warm ups like circles and stretches for the arms and legs then shadow box hit the bag hit pads hit the bag shadow box and sit ups.

some times ill spar 2 or 3 rounds after stretching and skip the pads bag shadow at the end.

i dont really follow any gym made routine other then showing up on time for sparring as im not that bad and i seem to improve.

its not like their not helpful but pull ups and shrugs are much more helpful.

push ups can help your back strengthen your shoulders intercostals and serratus anterior and they can also occupy 20 students that also know how to squat for up to 20 mins during a training class with out the coach having to do a damn thing.

its a waste of time and a waste of energy that could be much more wisely used for pull ups and shruggs.
                    Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 10-14-2010, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X