Lennox Lewis vs Michael Spinks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
    Holmes looked dreadful in the first Spinks fight,
    Maybe Spinks had something to do with it??

Comment

We seem to be more in agreement on this one Sonnybox than usual, we've been disagreeing on most matters recently. I did say in paragraph 3 that its a fight Spinks could well win.

Yes Larry was more than useful in the 90s, beating Mercer and losing respectably to Holyfield and McCall on points (for a grandfather) was impressive.

I think a peak Holmes (circa 1980) is far more effective than the 85/86 guy. I favour the peak Holmes over Lewis too.

And yes I was not too impressed with Lewis vs Mavrovich much either!

Comment

Originally posted by minion View Post
        Maybe Spinks had something to do with it??
        Possibly, although Larry had been looking a bit ropey for a while by that point. Carl the Truth arguably beat him in his previous fight, ditto Witherpoon, and Bonecrusher had given him a tough go too. His best days were behind him and it was only a matter of time before someone knocked him off, imo.

Obviously Spinks deserves full credit for being the one to do it and as an underdog to boot, I just see a big difference between a 35 year old Larry Holmes and a prime Lennox Lewis.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
          Possibly, although Larry had been looking a bit ropey for a while by that point. Carl the Truth arguably beat him in his previous fight, ditto Witherpoon, and Bonecrusher had given him a tough go too. His best days were behind him and it was only a matter of time before someone knocked him off, imo.

Obviously Spinks deserves full credit for being the one to do it and as an underdog to boot, I just see a big difference between a 35 year old Larry Holmes and a prime Lennox Lewis.
          Indeed, Larry Holmes had seen better days, but i wouldn't say he was Passed it.

He was still a dominant HW and imo, only a little passed his peak, he was still very very good.

Carl Williams and Bonecrusher gave him a hard time because they too were talented and World Class. But like Spinks, are remembered for being steam rolled by Prime Tyson.

Comment

Lewis by KO.

Comment

Originally posted by minion View Post
              Indeed, Larry Holmes had seen better days, but i wouldn't say he was Passed it.

He was still a dominant HW and imo, only a little passed his peak, he was still very very good.

Carl Williams and Bonecrusher gave him a hard time because they too were talented and World Class. But like Spinks, are remembered for being steam rolled by Prime Tyson.
              Holmes was past it for sure. He had been in numerous hard fights, looked very slow and his reflexes were close to shot. Spinks of course had a lot to do with how Holmes was made to look but I think he caught Holmes at the right time and won two controversial decisions. Holmes was at his best in 1978-1982 in my opinion.

Spinks was very, very awkward and would be a tough puzzle to solve for most heavyweights. The ones with punching power could turn his lights out however and Lewis is one of them. He was at times overly cautious though and might let Spinks into the fight. If Lewis went at Spinks like he did against Golota and Grant, it might end up being a short night for the much smaller Spinks.

I wouldn't describe Bonecrusher Smith as "talented". To me he is one of the least schooled boxers to ever capture a title. He had big power in his right hand but that was about all he had. Went rounds with both Tyson and Holmes though.

Now Williams was very talented, had a great jab but his chin was found out by Mike Weaver in just two rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                Holmes was past it for sure. He had been in numerous hard fights, looked very slow and his reflexes were close to shot. Spinks of course had a lot to do with how Holmes was made to look but I think he caught Holmes at the right time and won two controversial decisions. Holmes was at his best in 1978-1982 in my opinion.

Spinks was very, very awkward and would be a tough puzzle to solve for most heavyweights. The ones with punching power could turn his lights out however and Lewis is one of them. He was at times overly cautious though and might let Spinks into the fight. If Lewis went at Spinks like he did against Golota and Grant, it might end up being a short night for the much smaller Spinks.

I wouldn't describe Bonecrusher Smith as "talented". To me he is one of the least schooled boxers to ever capture a title. He had big power in his right hand but that was about all he had. Went rounds with both Tyson and Holmes though.

Now Williams was very talented, had a great jab but his chin was found out by Mike Weaver in just two rounds.
                yes fair comments by most of you guys and i agree with most of the points made... i am not a Lewis hater ` far from it` ive seen the guy fight on 6 occasions, no-one pays good money to watch someone they hate, yet believe me when i say,"There was no excuses to be made the night Lewis got knocked out by McCall" - no fast count, no dodgy referee, etc etc Lewis was gone, and if the referee had not stopped the fight when he did McCall would have ended the career of Lewis...McCall made a comment after the fight claiming Lewis had 2 left feet, no footwork what-so-ever.. in this head-2-head topic i just feel Spinks with his movement, speed and ring-smarts would be to much for Lewis and would win via UD15 ... i am not saying its carved in stone, its just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                  yes fair comments by most of you guys and i agree with most of the points made... i am not a Lewis hater ` far from it` ive seen the guy fight on 6 occasions, no-one pays good money to watch someone they hate, yet believe me when i say,"There was no excuses to be made the night Lewis got knocked out by McCall" - no fast count, no dodgy referee, etc etc Lewis was gone, and if the referee had not stopped the fight when he did McCall would have ended the career of Lewis...McCall made a comment after the fight claiming Lewis had 2 left feet, no footwork what-so-ever.. in this head-2-head topic i just feel Spinks with his movement, speed and ring-smarts would be to much for Lewis and would win via UD15 ... i am not saying its carved in stone, its just my opinion
                  So the Spinx Jinx wouldn't smash his jaw into tiny little pieces then?... Lol... I'm only joking, but surely.... Lewis is simply far too big.. Spinks was right on the edge of his boundaries against a flabby Holmes.. Prime Lewis would stop him, for sure..
                  As you've noticed... I totally agree with you on the night Lewis got KTFO.. But, I can't find a way to agree on this one..

Comment

Hi Sonnybox, Lennox's footwork was much better in the late 90s under Manny Steward. I dont consider Lewis's peak to be 92-96 at all when you consider him being outboxed by Bruno, KO'd by McCall or given a very close battle with Mercer.

1997 onwards, Lennox was the business

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                      Hi Sonnybox, Lennox's footwork was much better in the late 90s under Manny Steward. I dont consider Lewis's peak to be 92-96 at all when you consider him being outboxed by Bruno, KO'd by McCall or given a very close battle with Mercer.

1997 onwards, Lennox was the business
                      fair enough you may be correct but my mind immediately went back to the 1st Rahman fight and how Rahman walked Lewis into a corner and casually poleaxed him with a crashing right-hand, Lewis still had 2 left feet in that fight, run a few ATG heavyweights through you mind and how they would have reacted to being backed (walked) into that corner, Ali, Tunney, Dempsey, Frazier, Holmes, Holyfield etc would never have been hit with that punch, Lewis stood there all 6ft5in of him with his chin in the air and his guard by his side, he never had the footwork to spin-out or faint or bob-and-weave... Do you think Michael Spinks would have been walked into that corner and nailed?

Not a chance!

Comment

Working...
                      X