Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are you guys so high on Diego Corrales?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
    THIS is the reason boxing is the answer to almost anything. You aren't going to find the real answers looking at Boxrec or watching highlights on Youtube.

If you really want to know watch Diego's career chronologically as far back as you can go. Watch every fight in it's entirety and you will understand. The commentary will provide plenty of clues. His performances will reveal the answers.

Generally speaking tho fans get aroused buy punchers and Diego was a puncher. And he proved over and over it again for him it was a true equalizer. He was never out of any fight at any point.. Shame I have to explain this..
    Exactly!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
      Hindsight bias. If you weren't watching boxing at the time you wouldn't understand how Corrales was viewed. He was a top 10 p4p fighter.
      This.

Corrales was by far the most feared fighter in boxing near to that weight. For a 130 pounder to be KOing guys the way he was KOing them was remarkable. Not a lot of 130 lb fighters get to 33-0 with 30 KOs, there just aren't many guys that small that can hit hard enough to legit turn guys' lights out.

Comment

• Originally posted by RamBoVee View Post
        I did not think Floyd was gonna beat Corrales. Floyd beat him bad.

I was a huge fan RIP chico
        It would be nice if all the people that hated Floyd could be honest like this poster.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diego Rodriguez View Post
          I posted a response to this already. I think this is a valid point about fighting in the division again. But factually what you are saying here is not correct.

First off he didn't fight for two full years after the Mayweather fight (doing time). From the point he had his first fight after FM to moving up was one year two months. He probably would have moved up after 9 months had he won the Casamayor fight the first time.

Regardless he should have made weight without any issue for the Mayweather fight, why he didn't well that's all speculation.
          Actually, nothing I said was "factually incorrect."

You chose to add the fact that he was inactive for two years following the Mayweather fight.

And he came back a shade under the 140lb. limit...and worked his way back down to 130. So you can't assume he would've moved up prior because when he came back he was at 135-140 and worked his way back down to win a title.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
            Actually, nothing I said was "factually incorrect."

You chose to add the fact that he was inactive for two years following the Mayweather fight.

And he came back a shade under the 140lb. limit...and worked his way back down to 130. So you can't assume he would've moved up prior because when he came back he was at 135-140 and worked his way back down to win a title.
            "he stopped fighting at 130 completely four years after the Mayweather fight"

He fought Mayweather 1/20/01. His next fight was 1/25/03. (2 years)

His last fight at 130lbs was 3/6/04 which is 1 year and less than 2 months after his first fight from when he came back.

Total is a little over 3 years not 4 years. Not a big deal but it wasn't 4 years. You don't count the time from his last fight until his next fight because obviously he has already made the transition to the next weight class.

Regardless the fact he came back and made weight 2 years after the Mayweather fight tells you he should have had no problem making weight for the FM fight. He did have a problem though.

Comment

"he stopped fighting at 130 completely four years after the Mayweather fight"

He fought Mayweather 1/20/01. His next fight was 1/25/03. (2 years)

His last fight at 130lbs was 3/6/04 which is 1 year and less than 2 months after his first fight from when he came back.

Total is a little over 3 years not 4 years. Not a big deal but it wasn't 4 years. You don't count the time from his last fight until his next fight because obviously he has already made the transition to the next weight class.

Regardless the fact he came back and made weight 2 years after the Mayweather fight tells you he should have had no problem making weight for the FM fight. He did have a problem though.
              So my factually incorrect was that he stopped fighting 3 years and change rather than the four I stated? Nonsense. The point stands. He stopped fighting at 130 years after the Mayweather fight, whether he took catchweight bouts in between or not, whether he was inactive or not. He won a title at 130 years after he fought Mayweather. And thus, all the weight issues are moot.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Viper View Post
                That I don't doubt, my question is who did he beat before may and who did he beat after may? Considering he lost to may.....what did he do to gain this rep?
                He stopped Garcia and Manfredy and stopped Castillo to name a few.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                  So my factually incorrect was that he stopped fighting 3 years and change rather than the four I stated? Nonsense. The point stands. He stopped fighting at 130 years after the Mayweather fight, whether he took catchweight bouts in between or not, whether he was inactive or not. He won a title at 130 years after he fought Mayweather. And thus, all the weight issues are moot.
                  Don't be so butt hurt. I said I agreed that Corrales came back and fought at the 130lbs weight, it shouldn't have been an issue in the fight. But yes your fact was incorrect and I was simply correcting it.

As I said in another post Corrales shouldn't have had any problem making 130lbs the night he fought Mayweather. He had made it before and he made it when he came back two years later. That said he did have a problem making weight vs. Mayweather. He came in 2 pounds heavy and it was noted. This wasn't Mayweather's problem.

Comment

Don't be so butt hurt. I said I agreed that Corrales came back and fought at the 130lbs weight, it shouldn't have been an issue in the fight. But yes your fact was incorrect and I was simply correcting it.

As I said in another post Corrales shouldn't have had any problem making 130lbs the night he fought Mayweather. He had made it before and he made it when he came back two years later. That said he did have a problem making weight vs. Mayweather. He came in 2 pounds heavy and it was noted. This wasn't Mayweather's problem.
                    You're fighting ghosts. There's nothing for me to be butthurt about. I said four years, not three years and change. Let me know when you pick up your e-trophy for this glorious victory.

In the meantime, a great win for Floyd and a great redemption story for Corrales, coming back to win the title and then move up and win another.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raggamuffin View Post
                      He stopped Garcia and Manfredy and stopped Castillo to name a few.
                      I love the Garcia fight. Didn't know much about Corrales before that and certainly didn't expect him to bomb Garcia out like that.

Comment

Working...
                      X