No announcement yet.

How good was Aaron Pryor?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rspen46 View Post
    We will never know for sure, at least with some or many fighters, you can look at their records and whom they fought and how many Ko's and such they attained and at least give some basis for a consensus to answer such a question, but with Pryor, we can't, here are the reasons why.
    1. Whom did he really beat.
    A. Antonio Cervantes, one of the greatest ever in his division, but he was at the very end of his Career when he met Pryor, and he still put PRyor down in the fight, what could he have done in his Prime against Aaron.
    B. Alexi Arguello, Arguello was a very solid LW, and excellent JLW, he had never fought at JWW, I believe it was too much for him, LW was his Max, yes he could have beaten most anyone else in a weak division but Pryor, but he also was nearing the end of his career, fighting in a division over his Prime, and Pryor had to have cheating help from Panama Lewis giving him something to help him.
    Look at the great, awesome Right Hand, Arguello landed the one in my photo, he bent Pryor's head straight back, and Pryor acted as if it never happened, he was put down by much lesser fighters, without Lewis's concoction, he was would have gone down from that punch.
    C. Dujuan Johnson, from the Tommy Hearns stable of fighters, but one of their lesser guys, he had decent but not great power and was ranked top 5 I think, and he even put Pryor down, but he was nothing.
    D. Hearns in the amateurs, Hearns was nowhere near fully mature physically or mentally, Aaron was near his time to fight pro, he was maturing both ways, hearns had yet to develope the awesome Power he would be known for, so that fight means nothing, in the Pros, Hearns would have done to Pryor what he did to duran.
    E. Arguello in the 2nd fight - even more close to his career end, and his heart an will to even compete against Pryor had been stolen by cheating him in the 1st fight, again, the Arguello fights can only be used so far to judege Pryors ability, now if they had fought at LW and Pryor had not cheated with Lewis, and beat him that way, then I would have another thought, but i think Arguello would have won that one.
    F. sorry I can't think of the Japanese fighter Pryor fought right now, but he also put Pryor down and I think he was at the time ranked top 10 at JWW, he was an average fighter at JWW in the top 10 of a weak division, with just fair power and he put pryor down.

Other than these fights, Pryor did not come close to fighting anyone that we could use as a measuring stick as to how good he really was.

Yes he was a whirl wind, not stop puncher, not with KO power, but with hard punching power in both hands, good speed, but not the greatest defense, he could be hit, he could be put down, I believe if he fought a fighter in his Prime with great power, he would most likely get hit and taken out.

He turned down Money to fight Leonard, he did not reply in the time given to a fight with Duran, so Duran moved on up to WW, he wanted to add the JWW title to his resume as he moved up, he would have destroyed Pyror in a war, thats the one I would have loved to see.

I believe Pryor's people purposefully kept him away from anyone with above average power to great power, he claims no one at LW wanted to fight him, but not true, I've checked out all I could, adn pryor was offered a fight with 2 or 3 top 10 LW fighters and turned them down, under the excuse that he thought he deserved the title shot, he never got it and ran to a much weaker JWW division to fight, I believe he would have possibly dominated a loaded LW division at the time, he probably would have pounded out a victory over Hilmer kenty the way O'Grady did, and also against Watt, but I think Andy Ganigan had the huge power and stood a shot at koing him, if he hit him, Pryor vs. Mancini before the Kim fight would have been a war, either could have won at the time, Pryor vs. Rockin Robin blake would have been good, but Pryor wins, also Harry Arroyo, Pryor wins, Rosario, he gets Koed, Gato Gonzales, had a punchers shot to beat him, Bramble gets pounded, O'Grady would have been good, toss up there, Pryor by TKO or close decision or O'grady by Decision, Jimmy Paul had the punchers shot to ko him, another toss up for me, Hearns at JWW he KO's Pryor, Leonard at JWW, he wins a decision or TKO, Duran, KOs pryor, Cuevas at a Catch weight, KOs Pryor, so many awesome bouts Pryor never got to see and or avoided, so his Crew could steal all they could before they let him burn out on DRUGS!

So no to the answer of can we even discuss how good he was, no way to even ever gage that.
    Wow, did Pryor steal your girlfriend or what. You discredit every significant win he has then attack him personally?

Pryor was a damn good fighter but no a great one. He would have beaten a lot of fighter that were technically better than him with pure volume punching.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      How does he stack up against the all-time greats at 140 pounds?
      I dunno who I'd rank as the best at 140... Chavez Sr? Tszyu? Hatton? Who else is up there? It's a limited list, guys like Bradley and Khan probably get mentions too. Chavez Sr was the greatest fighter at the weight but he probably had better career elsewhere at other weights. Hatton and Tszyu were very good but not ATG.

I'm probably missing names from pre-1980 but it wasn't a publicised division back then and didn't feature too many great fighters. So Pryor has a great shout at being top 10 but he wasn't a great in my opinion.

Comment

Pryor had a technique of might left and right while punching non-stop.

Once he got inside he let those hands go, every punch from every angle, would shift to the right, than back to the left. He was no where near as Easy a target as people make him out to be, especially for such an aggressive fighter.

Mosley is really the only other fighter I've seen do it, with the effectiveness Of
        Pryor.

Other fighters do it, but none of them with the fluidity As Pryor.

Comment

How good was Aaron Pryor?

Short answer: Good enough to soundly defeat an ATG the likes of Alexis Arguello. Twice!

Comment

I enjoyed watching Pryor's Tysonesque predatory style. The guy came to fight and let be known at the opening bell by going on the attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
              I enjoyed watching Pryor's Tysonesque predatory style. The guy came to fight and let be known at the opening bell by going on the attack.
              If you like aggressive, Pryor is made to order for you. He was very hyper and relentless.

Pryor may be overrated now, but he sure was fun to watch on live TV.

Comment

Originally posted by just the facts View Post

Pryor was a damn good fighter but no a great one. He would have beaten a lot of fighter that were technically better than him with pure volume punching.
                Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                If you like aggressive, Pryor is made to order for you. He was very hyper and relentless.

Pryor may be overrated now, but he sure was fun to watch on live TV.
                pryor was like henry armstrong's little brother, not as good as henry but great heart and aggression. he loved to fight, i think he could beat many of today's jwws with his swarming style grinding them down

Comment

Originally posted by phallus View Post
                  pryor was like henry armstrong's little brother, not as good as henry but great heart and aggression. he loved to fight, i think he could beat many of today's jwws with his swarming style grinding them down
                  The only fighter at 140 right now who I would give any chance to beat Pryor would be Crawford. That would be a good fight.

Comment

Working...
                  X