Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would ricky hatton get on against the current welterweight crop?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would ricky hatton get on against the current welterweight crop?

Just been watching hattons greatest hits. Hattons UK popularity was off the scale and he delivered some fantastic nights of boxing, culminating in that legendary night against kostya tzyzu. Hatton was the most popular fighter in a period where UK boxing scene was not of the standing that is today.

Although the hitman has fallen on hard times recently, he will be remembered as a great in the UK. In his prime, only mayweather and pacquiao were able to best him, two P4P level fighters and two of the best fighters of the 21st century.

So, how would prime ricky hatton have got on against the current welterweight crop? And how do people rate rickys career in general, was he an elite fighter? What grade would people give him in his prime?

He would be a good addition but he was definitely better at 140.

His prime was very short though, maybe 2005 to 2007 and lived an awful lifestyle for a boxer. Still, in his brief prime, i think he was an excellent Light-Welterweight. In reality, if he had lived a good lifestyle, he might have been more suited to 135 than 147. 140 was right for him though.

I think a lot of the current 147 fighters might be a bit too big for him like Spence, Brook, Thurman etc. but I think he would wreck he current 140 division at his best, with the exception of Crawford.

He was definitely a world class fighter but i think that first defeat of his career to Floyd sent him on a downward spiral in his life and he was basically half done before he fought Pacquiao.
    Last edited by deathofaclown; 01-07-2017, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Hatton was really good.

The man at 140, Champ at 147 and was one of the top P4P fighters in the world for almost half a decade.

He'd do just fine in today's Jr WW-WW scene.

Comment

Hatton at 140 is more interesting but Hatton at 147 isn't.

Hatton, from his prime years from around 2003 to probably 06/07, at 140 could be a damn machine. Yes he got hit a lot and he got hurt a lot but he always came through and out lasted, out beat and out worked his opponents. The physical toll he extracted from his opponents was incredible. He put lasting beating on some of those guys.

He would honestly break Matthysses fragile heart and he would take some solid shots to do so. Provodnikov would provide a real tough test and it'd be a close, close fight down the stretch. Crawford has a great chance of out boxing him but how does he take a prime Hatton coming at him like waves breaking on the sea front? Cant TC take it for 12 rounds? I'm not so sure.

Comment

He was a 140lb division competitor and did well in his era.
          As far as his placement in history he wouldn't be any where near top twenty.
          In the 147 class he would be beaten badly in with the best now.
          He was stopped by two average hitting undersized welters. A young fellow like Spence would totally dominate him and hurt him.

To small, no power at 147 and to one dimensional.

Ray

Comment

Current 147s are grossly overrated because of the years prior to Pac/Floyd. It seemed the fight would never happen so every 147 who got one good win (like Brook) was hyped to elite status overnight and groomed as a potential substitute. Hatton would easily get his hands on some title.

If you take an aging Pacquaio and Thurman (only guy who really earned his hype by fighting a streak of decent opponents) out of the mix its damn thin. Khan. Kell "One-win" Brook. Kell's one win, Porter.
            Last edited by ////; 01-07-2017, 04:03 PM.

Comment

He'd have an amazing fight against Shawn Porter that I definitely know!
              I think out of the top 10
              Loses to Pacquiao
              KOes Keith Thurman
              KOes Danny Garcia
              KOes Amir Khan
              Loses to Shawn Porter
              50/50 fight with Bradley in likely FOTY candidate
              KOes Kell Brook
              Gets KOed by Errol Spence

The other two that were on the top 10 Malinaggi and Vargas not worth mentioning with a prediction.

Comment

Ricky Hatton vs

Pacquiao - L
                Thurman - L (FOTY material, Thurman stops him late)
                Brook - L (Brook's size and jab is too much)
                Bradley - W (Ricky edges Tim, a close SD)
                Garcia - L (Danny's left hook does damage, stops him cold)
                Khan - L (Khan's fast combos would trouble Ricky who has no real power even for Khan's glass chin)
                Porter - W (another FOTY, nonstop action. edge to Ricky)
                Spence - L (Ricky gets dropped brutally within five rounds)
                Vargas - W

Ricky Hatton would have more wins at 140. he has success against anyone there not named Crawford.

Comment

Ricky Hatton would beat most of them accept maybe Kell Brook, a prime Ricky Hatton would also beat the current version of Manny Pacquiao! Infact i think he would destroy him, Pacquiao has limited ability fighting on the inside and this current version of Pacquiaco does not have the speed or power to invade that type of fight up against Hatton....

I am still trying to understand why Manny Pacquiao's power disappeared suddenly? Pacquiao went from being a meta-human during his run of fights starting with his Oscar De La Hoya win and then ending pretty much with his Antonio Margarito win! and then dramatically these meta-human abilities seemed to disappear...........maybe Margarito took something from him in their fight who knows!

I also think Kell Brook beats Manny Pacquiao, maybe even stops him....
                  Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 01-07-2017, 04:18 PM.

Comment

A prime hatton would do fine. He would put on exciting fights too.

A prime kosta stzu woud dominate.

Comment

Working...
                    X