Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why has the Anthony Joshua vs Alexander Povetkin still hasn't been finalized yet?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why has the Anthony Joshua vs Alexander Povetkin still hasn't been finalized yet?

I mean it's been more than three weeks now after the WBA gave Team Joshua less than 24 hours to finalize their bout with Povetkin, shortly after Team Wilder requested a revised copy of their recent contract offer by the end of the week and then the following day the WBA stepped in and demanded a purse bid and yet to this day there is still no deal.

Personally I see this as a duck. Joshua and Matchroom boxing never had any serious plans or intentions of fighting Deontay Wilder this year. It was their well orchestrated plan all along to evade, avoid and dodge a potential bout with Wilder for as long as possible and in order to move the fight back as far as they can.

I'm sorry but you're simply misinformed. You are accusing Matchroom of fraud by requesting extensions to come to an agreement to fight Wilder but then pulling out? That's also fraud against Povetkins handlers as well as Principality stadium. Is this how far you will go to absolve Wilder of any blame?

Don't you think the WBA would say so if the right wasn't finalised?

I suspect it will be announced this week. It was probably finalised a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

I'm sure I heard Hearn say somewhere it was this week being announced, after the World Cup finished.'probably also to tie in with the. DAZN launch also?

Comment

I don't think many within the US will understand just what an all encompassing entity the World Cup is for its duration. It's a time to get out bad news, not announce an event you want to sell 90,000 tickets for...

Comment

Originally posted by EnglishOxide View Post
          I'm sorry but you're simply misinformed. You are accusing Matchroom of fraud by requesting extensions to come to an agreement to fight Wilder but then pulling out? That's also fraud against Povetkins handlers as well as Principality stadium. Is this how far you will go to absolve Wilder of any blame?
          That is exactly what I am saying. Three weeks after demanding a 24 hour deadline to finalize a deal? Give me a freakin break!

If Matchroom boxing was really serious about making the fight happen this year, then they wouldn't have gotten cute with the contract by leaving important spaces blank like the date and venue. Their intentions all along was to delay the fight as long as possible.

If they hadn't, then Team Wilder was all prepared to sign the contract by agreeing to all of their terms on the spot which included: Taking a Flat-fee for less money and a willingness to travel to the U.K. On Anthony's home soil and country in order to make the fight happen.

However, Eddie Hearn pulled the contract right from under them at the 11th hour once Team Wilder agreed to their terms and requested the revisions. First by saying that Joshua needed a 12 week training camp and lastly by notifying the WBA that they wanted to fight their mandatory challenger Povetkin next instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Holler View Post
            I don't think many within the US will understand just what an all encompassing entity the World Cup is for its duration. It's a time to get out bad news, not announce an event you want to sell 90,000 tickets for...
            Yep this, people who were getting married during matches where showing the match during the weddings, Justin Timerlake had the England match playing on the screens behind him while performing in the UK.

Announcing anything important during the world cup is pretty much pointless, everyone's attention is elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
              That is exactly what I am saying. Three weeks after demanding a 24 hour deadline to finalize a deal? Give me a freakin break!
              No they didn't. They demanded that Hearn clarify who Joshua was facing within 24 hours.

He couldn't say Wilder because they never sent a signed contract back, and by Finkels own words he was sending back a contract without specifying if it was signed on the Friday. 3 days after the WBA deadline.

If Matchroom boxing was really serious about making the fight happen this year, then they wouldn't have gotten cute with the contract by leaving important spaces blank like the date and venue. Their intentions all along was to delay the fight as long as possible.

Lots of fights are signed without a concrete date. Hearn publically confirmed in writing and verbally for weeks that he was working on a date for the Principality Stadium in Cardiff on a date for October or November. He publically and privately stated in writing that Joshua would fight Wilder next. THAT IS WHY HE APPLIED FOR 2 MONTHS OF EXTENSIONS to the WBA to get a signed contract for a Wilder unification.

You are accusing him of defrauding the WBA, Wilder, Povetkin and the Principality Stadium. Think about it.

However, Eddie Hearn pulled the contract right from under them at the 11th hour once Team Wilder agreed to their terms and requested the revisions. First by saying that Joshua needed a 12 week training camp and lastly by notifying the WBA that they wanted to fight their mandatory challenger Povetkin next instead.
              He stated that he wouldn't let Joshua sign a contract unless he had a 12 week training camp. He was putting pressure on Wilder to accept the offer. By the time he 'accepted' the Wembley date became unavailable because Canelo/GGG happened.

He notified the WBA that they will fight Povetkin because Wilder showed no intention of signing the contract he agreed to. He made no secret of the fact that he was talking to Povetkins people too.

Think about it. Before the Parker fight Wilder was saying he will only fight Joshua for 50/50. The one offer he came up with was for 50/50. Now he's stating that he will only ever accept 50/50 from now on.

All signs point to him never having any intention of signing any contract that wasn't a 50/50 split. That's why Finkel delayed.

He would have had the contract for 11 days, before sending it back with comments and unsigned. The 2 comments were the rematch clause which they conceded to and the date, which Hearn clarified to him wasn't set in stone, but confirmed Wilder gets Joshua NEXT.

Think about it mate. If your beliefs on Hearn are true, he would be opening himself up to lawsuits all over the place if Wilder signed to fight next but he went ahead with Povetkin first anyway.

Comment

Well it's just been announced so there we go. /Thread

Comment

CONFIRMED! ANTHONY_joshua to face mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin on #September22 @wembleystadium. #JoshuaPovetkin skysports Matchroomboxing

A post shared by BOXING GURU (@boxingguru) on

Comment

Well if the reports are true then it took long enough. This still doesn't explain why it wasn't finalized in 24 hours as the WBA had ordered.

Comment

Working...
                    X