Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long before I should start sparring?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It varies from person to person. I know I started sparring about a month in, but most people did, and a month in was about 20 days of training already, but it wasn't one on one training, even though the coach did try to have one on one training with everyone at least twice a week.

One thing that helped me was that I went straight from Kung Fu to boxing, so I was in pretty good shape going in already.

Comment

just start sparring straight away, you will learn faster that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
        Can you block a jab? Can you slip left and right and straight drop slip? (bend your knees and get under a jab)
        Can you counter jab off those defensive moves?

Once those very basic techniques are understand and performed well then I would add contact to those specific drills.

I trained amateur and pros for many years on every level there is.
        A smart and concerned trainer teaches first then applies lessons learned. If not you get your name changed to meat!

Ray
        Yup. I've been training the basics of jab-straight-hook-uppercut with addition to the defensive moves slip, go under, step back, block, etc.

That is why I want to spar to be able to apply these stuff when up against an opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by CodeBreaker View Post
          Yup. I've been training the basics of jab-straight-hook-uppercut with addition to the defensive moves slip, go under, step back, block, etc.

That is why I want to spar to be able to apply these stuff when up against an opponent.
          A few three round spars against less experienced amateurs would be good

Comment

You could start on your first month, that's how we did it... Now we do light sparring every week to apply old and new techniques...

You guys let your kids spar? How old were they when they started?

There have been plenty cases of head injuries already, starting to be hesitant...

Comment

Originally posted by bngsdad View Post
              You could start on your first month, that's how we did it... Now we do light sparring every week to apply old and new techniques...

You guys let your kids spar? How old were they when they started?

There have been plenty cases of head injuries already, starting to be hesitant...
              Solid advice.

Comment

In my gym they will not allow you to spar until you have 3 months of training under your belt. They will have you shadow sparring before that.

Comment

I started sparring after training for 3 Months. Been working with mostly professionals. They go easy on me. Luckily I’ve known all 3 of them 8-9 Years. They loved that after being a fan for so long I finally started picking up on training lol

Comment

Originally posted by rob g View Post
                    I started sparring after training for 3 Months. Been working with mostly professionals. They go easy on me. Luckily I’ve known all 3 of them 8-9 Years. They loved that after being a fan for so long I finally started picking up on training lol

Have you accidentally clipped them with any big shots?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                      Have you accidentally clipped them with any big shots?
                      I've landed a few good shots here and there. Sometimes I had to take a shot to give one lol. I've learned to set traps too lol. Here's a couple screenshots I posted on instagram the other day. Vs. Elie Augustama and Azea Augustama

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqvYj5GghF8/

Comment

Working...
                      X