Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 04-07-2019, 03:04 AM #1
Up and Comer

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
RossyJames has a reputation beyond reputeRossyJames has a reputation beyond reputeRossyJames has a reputation beyond reputeRossyJames has a reputation beyond reputeRossyJames has a reputation beyond reputeRossyJames has a reputation beyond reputeRossyJames has a reputation beyond reputeRossyJames has a reputation beyond reputeRossyJames has a reputation beyond reputeRossyJames has a reputation beyond reputeRossyJames has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 6,364.86
Default I've cut 22 pounds in 5 weeks, advice?

Many people have told me that I should get straight into boxing instead of wasting my time losing weight first, but I'm wanting to lose weight so that I can be at my natural weight, I only got fat due to a bad injury and being inactive for so so long.

Also, the way I lose weight is building up my stamina which will help me in boxing so for me it's a win win situation. As I've lost weight easier then expected I'm setting new goals, now I want to reach 196 pounds by May 8th. The 8th isn't just a random number I've picked because I like it, although it is actually my favorite number it's also a special day for me.

I'm currently 208 pounds, before working out etc and before I started eating a healthy diet I was 230 pounds. I'm aware that losing weight will become harder the slimmer I get but is cutting down to 196 by May 8th possible?

My workouts consist of running 4-5 days a week, usually 5 miles, some days I'll run twice a day so a total of 8 miles as I go for a 3 mile run in the evening if I don't feel warn out. I'm a regular lane swimmer, I swim there at least 4 days a week where I aim to do 100+ lengths. I also do a lot of shadow boxing most days until I am worn out, and I try to do 250+ sit ups and 100+ push ups every two days.

What other things can I do to lose weight? I feel my workouts are on point, my diet is on point, what's next for me do you guys think? And is losing 22 pounds in 5 weeks healthy?
RossyJames is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 04-07-2019, 03:10 AM #2
3 time loser

Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Rockybigblower has a reputation beyond reputeRockybigblower has a reputation beyond reputeRockybigblower has a reputation beyond reputeRockybigblower has a reputation beyond reputeRockybigblower has a reputation beyond reputeRockybigblower has a reputation beyond reputeRockybigblower has a reputation beyond reputeRockybigblower has a reputation beyond reputeRockybigblower has a reputation beyond reputeRockybigblower has a reputation beyond reputeRockybigblower has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,289.64
Total Points: 29,302.91

Get PlayStation VR. Then you can shadow box in a real time scenario. Or pretend you are an astronaut. Either way...fun times.
Rockybigblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:11 AM #3
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 6601 Post(s)
Scipio2009 has a reputation beyond reputeScipio2009 has a reputation beyond reputeScipio2009 has a reputation beyond reputeScipio2009 has a reputation beyond reputeScipio2009 has a reputation beyond reputeScipio2009 has a reputation beyond reputeScipio2009 has a reputation beyond reputeScipio2009 has a reputation beyond reputeScipio2009 has a reputation beyond reputeScipio2009 has a reputation beyond reputeScipio2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 24,049.34
Total Points: 72,937.99
liar - cheeseburger agenda troll - cheeseburger 8===o - cheeseburger agenda troll - cheeseburger enjoy - -MAKAVELLI- 
- enjoy - cheeseburger **** - cheeseburger 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossyJames View Post
Many people have told me that I should get straight into boxing instead of wasting my time losing weight first, but I'm wanting to lose weight so that I can be at my natural weight, I only got fat due to a bad injury and being inactive for so so long.

Also, the way I lose weight is building up my stamina which will help me in boxing so for me it's a win win situation. As I've lost weight easier then expected I'm setting new goals, now I want to reach 196 pounds by May 8th. The 8th isn't just a random number I've picked because I like it, although it is actually my favorite number it's also a special day for me.

I'm currently 208 pounds, before working out etc and before I started eating a healthy diet I was 230 pounds. I'm aware that losing weight will become harder the slimmer I get but is cutting down to 196 by May 8th possible?

My workouts consist of running 4-5 days a week, usually 5 miles, some days I'll run twice a day so a total of 8 miles as I go for a 3 mile run in the evening if I don't feel warn out. I'm a regular lane swimmer, I swim there at least 4 days a week where I aim to do 100+ lengths. I also do a lot of shadow boxing most days until I am worn out, and I try to do 250+ sit ups and 100+ push ups every two days.

What other things can I do to lose weight? I feel my workouts are on point, my diet is on point, what's next for me do you guys think? And is losing 22 pounds in 5 weeks healthy?
Eat clean, work out hard, and ride that out until the weight stops coming off.

I don't know how your body will react to keeping the regimen for another 5 weeks, but let your body tell you.

Good luck
Scipio2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:40 AM #4
Contender

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
GelfSara is a glorious beacon of lightGelfSara is a glorious beacon of lightGelfSara is a glorious beacon of lightGelfSara is a glorious beacon of lightGelfSara is a glorious beacon of lightGelfSara is a glorious beacon of light
Bank: 1,155.62
Total Points: 10,469.52

You presumably do not wish to lose weight, you wish to lose fat. In order of preference you "ought to" wish to 1) lose fat while gaining muscle, 2) lose fat while neither gaining nor losing muscle, or 3) lose fat while losing muscle. Those are also listed in order of difficulty.

To stack the odds in your favor, 1) lose weight at a slow to moderate pace (no more than 2lbs/week), 2) keep dietary protein high (1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight per day), follow an effective resistance training program which covers all major muscle groups, and 4) if you do "cardio" or aerobic/steady-state exercise, choose forms that are low-impact (cycling, swimming, walking "uphill" on a treadmill, etc.) in order to reduce the catabolic effect of said exercise, and 5) keep the volume of such exercise low enough that it does not seem to reduce your ability to "make gains" in the weight room.

Last edited by GelfSara; 04-07-2019 at 11:42 AM.
GelfSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:46 PM #5
Up and Comer

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
DugzBoxing is on a distinguished road
Total Points: 6,839.40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockybigblower View Post
Get PlayStation VR. Then you can shadow box in a real time scenario. Or pretend you are an astronaut. Either way...fun times.
Get a Wii and the boxing game for 30 quid
DugzBoxing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:59 PM #6
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
HeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 23,193.43
Total Points: 23,722.63

Quote:
Originally Posted by GelfSara View Post
You presumably do not wish to lose weight, you wish to lose fat. In order of preference you "ought to" wish to 1) lose fat while gaining muscle, 2) lose fat while neither gaining nor losing muscle, or 3) lose fat while losing muscle. Those are also listed in order of difficulty.

To stack the odds in your favor, 1) lose weight at a slow to moderate pace (no more than 2lbs/week), 2) keep dietary protein high (1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight per day), follow an effective resistance training program which covers all major muscle groups, and 4) if you do "cardio" or aerobic/steady-state exercise, choose forms that are low-impact (cycling, swimming, walking "uphill" on a treadmill, etc.) in order to reduce the catabolic effect of said exercise, and 5) keep the volume of such exercise low enough that it does not seem to reduce your ability to "make gains" in the weight room.
Generally agree with this. Losing/gaining weight too fast leads to more problems, and yeah, ~2lbs/week is about the limit
HeadBodyBodyBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:06 PM #7

Quoted: 4088 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,296.09
Total Points: 64,563.03
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Wow, that's a lot of weight real quick.
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:24 AM #8
Strong champion.

Quoted: 6586 Post(s)
New England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,688.25
Total Points: 76,755.54
great poster award - jazluvr Merry Christmas bro. Kick back and enjoy. Surround yourself with your loved ones and have a cold one. - deanrw Happy Holidays  New England - !! AI-Holmes!! Ma nigguh, you should come to Ol' England. - D-MiZe for entering the weed thread! - HUGH JASS 
BoxingScene's Educator-in-chief - Dr Rumack i didn't know you live in that area affected, my heart goes out to you...stay strong homie - jose830 #freeNewEnglang - thuggery Coming home on parole brew. - Sweet Pea 50 top poster and cool story in my thread of how you first joined boxingscene. - HUGH JASS 
happy independence day you zulu warrior!!! - HUGH JASS For the fitness and nutrition advice, thanks. - jas A top poster - jas For being a roided up freakazoid - Cuauhtémoc1520 44 posts late.Happy 29,000 post - HughJass 
LOL caught me good KO2. - Hi Rudyo! LOL caught me good KO2. - Hi Rudyo! Suck on this Cry Baby - Rocky... couldn't green you on that big pun post, good stuff - -jose- b-scene ATG - Mike D 
Childhood Cancer - khepesh Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Childhood Cancer - sugarsmosley World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - HughJass AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jas World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - sugarsmosley 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - jas Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

that is a lot of work bro, good for you.

all i can see is strength training. 2-3 days a week. maybe you cut down on running or swimming if you feel like you're overdoing it
New England is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:59 AM #9
Up and Comer

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
DugzBoxing is on a distinguished road
Total Points: 6,839.40

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England View Post
that is a lot of work bro, good for you.

all i can see is strength training. 2-3 days a week. maybe you cut down on running or swimming if you feel like you're overdoing it
I think he should definitely do strength training. The cardio is a bit much.
DugzBoxing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:18 AM #10
Strong champion.

Quoted: 6586 Post(s)
New England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,688.25
Total Points: 76,755.54
great poster award - jazluvr Merry Christmas bro. Kick back and enjoy. Surround yourself with your loved ones and have a cold one. - deanrw Happy Holidays  New England - !! AI-Holmes!! Ma nigguh, you should come to Ol' England. - D-MiZe for entering the weed thread! - HUGH JASS 
BoxingScene's Educator-in-chief - Dr Rumack i didn't know you live in that area affected, my heart goes out to you...stay strong homie - jose830 #freeNewEnglang - thuggery Coming home on parole brew. - Sweet Pea 50 top poster and cool story in my thread of how you first joined boxingscene. - HUGH JASS 
happy independence day you zulu warrior!!! - HUGH JASS For the fitness and nutrition advice, thanks. - jas A top poster - jas For being a roided up freakazoid - Cuauhtémoc1520 44 posts late.Happy 29,000 post - HughJass 
LOL caught me good KO2. - Hi Rudyo! LOL caught me good KO2. - Hi Rudyo! Suck on this Cry Baby - Rocky... couldn't green you on that big pun post, good stuff - -jose- b-scene ATG - Mike D 
Childhood Cancer - khepesh Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Childhood Cancer - sugarsmosley World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - HughJass AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jas World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - sugarsmosley 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - jas Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DugzBoxing View Post
I think he should definitely do strength training. The cardio is a bit much.

everybody is different bro. if he's feeling ok i say why go crazy trying to fix a good thing? without a doubt his rate of weight loss will slow down, and probably has already. keep the train rolling and add in some light weight work. we can rebuild him. we have the technology!
New England is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
advice?, i've, pounds, weeks