No announcement yet.

Thought Experiment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought Experiment

I was watching this show where this man was hunting foxes to sell their skins.

And I started thinking, there are those, for various reasons, who think humans have the right to kill animals for things like there fur or tusks. But , what if there was an advanced alien civilization, who fancied themselves, for whatever reason, vastly superior to humans. And what if they began to hunt and kill human beings in order to kill us and sell our skins, which on their world was worth a lot of money (or the equivalent thereof).

What would make these aliens entitled to slaughter us so that they could sell our skins? If we couldn't stop them (let's say that they had weaponry far superior to ours and were vastly more intelligent or these aliens were like a race of Supermen) would that entitle them to be able to hunt and kill us to sell our skins on their world? Would might make right?

Why or why not?

Ever thought about sticking your d1ck in your own anus?

Comment

It's not right but it's one of those things where you can't do anything about it and you have to depend on the mercy of those more powerful than you.

If there were a more advanced species and they treat us like we treat animals, then basically we're ****ed. Entitled or not.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post

And I started thinking, there are those, for various reasons, who think humans have the right to kill animals for things like there fur or tusks. But , what if there was an advanced alien civilization, who fancied themselves, for whatever reason, vastly superior to humans. And what if they began to hunt and kill human beings in order to kill us and sell our skins, which on their world was worth a lot of money (or the equivalent thereof).

What would make these aliens entitled to slaughter us so that they could sell our skins? If we couldn't stop them (let's say that they had weaponry far superior to ours and were vastly more intelligent or these aliens were like a race of Supermen) would that entitle them to be able to hunt and kill us to sell our skins on their world? Would might make right?

Why or why not?
        That's a solid thought experiment!

Comment

Nothing would make them entitled to do it just like nothing makes us entitled to kill & sell the remains of other animals. Having the power to do something gives one the authority to do it if they so choose to in this age doe. The "Its better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission" & all that type philosophy.

The intelligence of the thing being treated unfairly is a part of the equation to. For example I think if we could talk to cows or chickens maybe we don't slaughter them on a massive scale like we do. So if some superior creature slaughtered us while being able to understand us then I think it'd be all the more f#cked up thing to do just like it'd be more f#cked up if we could understand animals & still murdered them.

Comment

Why or why not?
            Seems like kind of a one-sided argument here. I wouldn't hunt an animal solely for the skin, but if you kill an animal for food, why not use the skin if possible? It's better to use as much of the animal as possible. Makes the sacrifice mean something.

As far as the alien scenario, I'm wondering why they'd want our skins. Does dead human flesh provide any real practical uses?

In the end though, whatever race is the smartest and most advanced will always hold dominion over any other creature and do so as they choose really. However, if the aliens are anythign like us with morality, then other aliens would rise against the hunters and move to stop them.

Might make an interesting Disney movie though if that's what you're "shooting for."

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              Nothing would make them entitled to do it just like nothing makes us entitled to kill & sell the remains of other animals. Having the power to do something gives one the authority to do it if they so choose to in this age doe. The "Its better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission" & all that type philosophy.

The intelligence of the thing being treated unfairly is a part of the equation to. For example I think if we could talk to cows or chickens maybe we don't slaughter them on a massive scale like we do. So if some superior creature slaughtered us while being able to understand us then I think it'd be all the more f#cked up thing to do just like it'd be more f#cked up if we could understand animals & still murdered them.
              Never thought of it that way.

Comment

Why or why not?
                I like ur one minute mini rice

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
                  Seems like kind of a one-sided argument here. I wouldn't hunt an animal solely for the skin, but if you kill an animal for food, why not use the skin if possible? It's better to use as much of the animal as possible. Makes the sacrifice mean something.

As far as the alien scenario, I'm wondering why they'd want our skins. Does dead human flesh provide any real practical uses?

In the end though, whatever race is the smartest and most advanced will always hold dominion over any other creature and do so as they choose really. However, if the aliens are anythign like us with morality, then other aliens would rise against the hunters and move to stop them.

Might make an interesting Disney movie though if that's what you're "shooting for."
                  Kinda like the first Predator.
                  I think he was hunting us humans and keeping the pelt after skinning the entire body.
                  I was kinda like a trophy I think.

Comment

Makes me laugh when I see a trophy hunting video or film. They praise the hell out of the prey using words like, noble, magnificent, regal etc. then put a bullet in their brain.

Comment

Working...
                    X