Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is GGG past his prime? Let's look at video evidence comparing each of his punches

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
    Sure, he’s aged. As the person above said. We get it.

Coincidentally starts looking “human” when he’s fighting the best fighters he’s ever fought. Not the first time we’ve seen guys look different when the competition hits back and makes you miss/think.

Ggg is no spring chicken though...that much is true. He’s not shot though or anywhere near.
    Or perhaps those 'best fighters he's ever fought' are fighting him because he's past his prime?

Comment

Fighter is in mid 30s. Other high caliber fighters in his division finally willing to fight him. Fights are closer in scoring than his previous 5 years where he was younger and having trouble getting the champions to fight him.

What exactly is the point of this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        "Power is the last thing to go".
        For years we've been sold on him being white Tyson. If he's truly got the power and it hasn't just been weak opposition folding, then I think he's going to hold up fine.

GG fans raged on me when I pointed out the fact that they're abandoning him and it's sad to see the frequent preemptive excuses coming out of people here. If he's truly a modern legend he's going to handle Canelo. Even at 35 GG showed fantastic stamina and he also showed something he didn't have 10 years ago; tremendous ring smarts. That's what made the difference for me in the first fight, Golovkin fought smarter.

They both have a feel for each other now and the truth will come out. May the best man win.
        This sounds like a straw man argument. Do many credible boxing people really think Golovkin is a "modern legend?"

That's a bit much.

I think he's a helluva fighter who's most definitely past his prime, but still viable. He could lose to Canelo -- probably by close decision -- and still have a distinguished (possibly HOF) career.

Thirty-six is getting up there for a guy who eats punches with his face.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
          This sounds like a straw man argument. Do many credible boxing people really think Golovkin is a "modern legend?"

That's a bit much.

I think he's a helluva fighter who's most definitely past his prime, but still viable. He could lose to Canelo -- probably by close decision -- and still have a distinguished (possibly HOF) career.

Thirty-six is getting up there for a guy who eats punches with his face.
          That's not what a "strawman" argument is. What you just tried is though, by inferring things I never implied.
          I don't need to qualify whether the hardcore Golovkin fanbase here are credible posters, nor did I make any claims as to whether they were.
          There's a great number of people who have (aggressively) told me over the last few years how great Golovkin is. I'm not going to pretend they don't exist.

As to whether they are credible or if I agree with them or not is besides the point. There's a lot of them so I'll respect that fact and not discredit them as a whole.

I don't see him leaving much legacy if he loses this because his resume is a list of cats who never went on to accomplish much of anything. In GGs prime, the best fighters in the division flat out avoided him.
          The fact that he was denied a Canelo victory the first time is a real shame. Really damages any chances of leaving much legacy should he lose this one. I'd honestly like to see him win this and then beat a couple of the best guys at 168. THAT would be a real legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            "Power is the last thing to go".
            For years we've been sold on him being white Tyson. If he's truly got the power and it hasn't just been weak opposition folding, then I think he's going to hold up fine.

GG fans raged on me when I pointed out the fact that they're abandoning him and it's sad to see the frequent preemptive excuses coming out of people here. If he's truly a modern legend he's going to handle Canelo. Even at 35 GG showed fantastic stamina and he also showed something he didn't have 10 years ago; tremendous ring smarts. That's what made the difference for me in the first fight, Golovkin fought smarter.

They both have a feel for each other now and the truth will come out. May the best man win.
            He dumbed down and simplified his style compared to his amateur days. Started relying on power punches more

Comment

Triple tree is going down, can't wait for that fat red kid to blow him out of the ring

Comment

Don't hold your breath. GGG isn't moving up to 168 at age 36 and beyond.

But I get where you stand on Golovkin.

And yes, overstating and inflating an opposing point of view (GGG is a "modern legend!") so you can shoot it down more easily (no he isn't! Jeez that's crazy!) is a straw man argument.

Floyd is a modern legend. Pacquaio is a modern legend. Golovkin is a dominant fighter in an era of weak middleweights. Just because a few message board crackpots slob on GGG's knob doesn't change what most people in boxing, and sports, think.

Comment

Originally posted by g27region View Post
                  He dumbed down and simplified his style compared to his amateur days. Started relying on power punches more
                  The way he fought Canelo (and Lemieux and Jacobs) showed intelligence, not loading up on power.
                  Boxing technique and ring IQ are two different things. I do agree that Golovkin has a rather basic technical approach. That doesn't take away from his ring IQ though. The fact that he known how to work within that limited repertoire by being measured and consistent, and still beat a guy who is a better boxer without just using force, said a lot about his ring IQ.

While I do think Canelo looks stronger, faster, and slicker, GG was simply smarter. I was really impressed by that.

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
                    Or perhaps those 'best fighters he's ever fought' are fighting him because he's past his prime?
                    Danny Jacobs? He had nothing to gain by doing that. Dude has a knockout loss and was a lesser name...

Canelo “waited” 4 whole fights...two of those four were big fights (Chavez and Cotto), one was a title fight at 54.. and of those 4 only one was over 15.

When people get too cought up in the hate for other fighters it blinds their reasoning. The world doesnt owe GGG anything. Canelo doesnt work around GGG’s schedule. Andre Ward didn’t run on GGG’s schedule. Whether he SHOULD have taken certain fights or not and have agreed to certain terms is another story. But the guy said 54 through 68 and we didnt once see his team really go for it.

Yes, he was avoided but he also had the chance to face better guys but his team wouldnt put up the money they required and were hit with the “priced themself out.”

If all you want to do is spend bum money, all you’re going to get is bums. A guy like Vanes should NEVER, EVER be in the ring with someone of GGG’s caliber.

The tc starter is obviously trolling.

The only time GGG didnt disappoint was against Vanes? Lmfao. Listen to that s hit. Gee...he happened to be amazing that night? Guess the highly regarded p4p hall of famer Vanes came and put it all out there and almost had GGG out there more than anyone else ever has. Lmao.

You can’t make this s hit up.

Ya know... it’s hit that level. The Pac level. That level where the hilarity coming from the fans makes you embarassed to like a fighter.

It’s like..

When people ask you have to be slick about it so you dont get judged.

“-cough-yeahiloveggg-coughcoughcough- oh. Sorry. I didnt say anything.“

GGG was visibly bothered in both the Jacobs and Canelo fight. Even Kell did better than Vanes.

Vanes doesnt even own arms and fists that can legitimately hurt a great fighter at 54, let alone 60. Sorry, dude.

Save the story of Vanes the great for your grand kids who when they finally grow of age wont be able to find footage of Vanes and you can make it up.

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
                      Danny Jacobs? He had nothing to gain by doing that. Dude has a knockout loss and was a lesser name...

Canelo “waited” 4 whole fights...two of those four were big fights (Chavez and Cotto), one was a title fight at 54.. and of those 4 only one was over 15.
                      Yawn.
                      Jacobs was ordered to fight him by WBA because he was regular champ. Something Sturm paid WBA off for.

Golovkin was calling out big names for almost a decade. I'm lazy, but here's a vid
                      in 2014 in which he called out Alvarez.

When people get too cought up in the hate for other fighters it blinds their reasoning. The world doesnt owe GGG anything. Canelo doesnt work around GGG’s schedule. Andre Ward didn’t run on GGG’s schedule. Whether he SHOULD have taken certain fights or not and have agreed to certain terms is another story. But the guy said 54 through 68 and we didnt once see his team really go for it.
                      Who the hell asked Golovkin to work around his schedule? The dude gave up ALL the advantages against Canelo, and was on the record multiple times saying he'll give up advantages for a big fight. He called out Floyd at 154. He called out Cotto at 154. He wanted to fight both Froch and Ward at 168. He called out Canelo at 154, before getting a mandatory shot. Get that bull**** out of here.

I absolutely blame all of those guys for ducking Golovkin, or rather rightly deeming him high risk / low reward. The only guy I don't blame for ducking Golovkin was Martinez, and that's because Martinez was shot to sht by that time. It wouldn't be pretty or fun.

And no, the world doesn't owe Golovkin anything. That's why he worked his fuking ass off and is still the hardest working boxer today. Find someone else who's come so far and earned everything. He went from an unknown fighter in germany in 2013 to earning $30M on PPV. He's been flying around the world, doing all the promotions, attending all the events. I do like him as a fighter a lot, but I have tremendous respect for his work ethic. Nobody does half as much. Nobody.

Yes, he was avoided but he also had the chance to face better guys but his team wouldnt put up the money they required and were hit with the “priced themself out.”

If all you want to do is spend bum money, all you’re going to get is bums. A guy like Vanes should NEVER, EVER be in the ring with someone of GGG’s caliber.
                      K2 is not Top Rank or Hearn. They do not have a large budget. The best Loeffler has put on has been the Superfly cards. His funds are directly funded by HBO, and pretty much HBO only. You're blaming K2/Golovkin for something that absolutely has nothing to do with him. Those are pure, undisputed facts.

And no, he never had a chance to face better guys that he passed up. Not a single time. Sturm blatantly avoided him, Cotto blatantly avoided him, Martinez wanted nothing to do with him, Froch is on the record saying he's avoiding him like the plague, Canelo waited YEARS to fight him, Eubank didn't want any, etc. The only person anyone with half a brain can blame him for is Ward, and if that person had 75% of a brain, they'd realize why never fought, and it has nothing to do with 'he afraid yo'.

The tc starter is obviously trolling.

The only time GGG didnt disappoint was against Vanes? Lmfao. Listen to that s hit. Gee...he happened to be amazing that night? Guess the highly regarded p4p hall of famer Vanes came and put it all out there and almost had GGG out there more than anyone else ever has. Lmao.

You can’t make this s hit up.

Ya know... it’s hit that level. The Pac level. That level where the hilarity coming from the fans makes you embarassed to like a fighter.

It’s like..

When people ask you have to be slick about it so you dont get judged.

“-cough-yeahiloveggg-coughcoughcough- oh. Sorry. I didnt say anything.“

GGG was visibly bothered in both the Jacobs and Canelo fight. Even Kell did better than Vanes.

Vanes doesnt even own arms and fists that can legitimately hurt a great fighter at 54, let alone 60. Sorry, dude.

Save the story of Vanes the great for your grand kids who when they finally grow of age wont be able to find footage of Vanes and you can make it up.
                      I have no idea why you're spending so much time writing about Vanes. Vanes was a replacement they found on low budget on a ~3 week notice after this original opponent popped dirty. That was a random cheapshot at Pacquaio who I assume you don't like?

Most replacement opponents amount to jack ****. Vanes was on par.

Comment

Working...
                      X