Shields On GSP: "Im The Best Guy He Hasn’t Faced"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shields On GSP: "Im The Best Guy He Hasn’t Faced"

http://www.tapology.com/2009/11/jake...worlds-finest/

Tapology: I know you get the UFC question all of the time, so I’m not going to ask it, but you mentioned that it is important to you to fight the best people you can fight. Georges St. Pierre is considered the best welterweight in the world right now, so is it important to you to get a fight with him within the next couple of years, whether it be in Strikeforce or the UFC?

Shields: It is important. I feel like I have to fight him unless someone beats him. To be the best, you have to fight the best, and GSP is for sure considered to be the best. It would be awesome if we could get that together in a co-promotion, and the way Strikeforce is going, who knows, it could happen.

Tapology: You are happy fighting for Strikeforce right now, but at what point does the importance of fighting a guy like St. Pierre weight heavily enough that you would consider jumping ship in order to make that happen?

Shields: The bottom line is that the UFC is not going to let you jump ship after one fight, so it’s not a realistic option. At some point you have to look and weigh your options between money and fighting the best. Hopefully it will happen, but at this point I just have to concentrate on my Strikeforce contract and after that I will sit down with my managers and we’ll figure out what I want to do.

Tapology: GSP mentioned you specifically as someone he would be interested in fighting at a recent Q&A session before UFC 105. How does it make you feel to be directly addressed by him in that manner?

Shields: He mentioned that it was his dream fight, you know. He mentioned Brock Lesnar vs. Fedor and him against me, which is awesome because it shows me that in his mind I’m the best guy he hasn’t faced. I have wanted that fight for a while, but it’s nice for him to say that he wants it as well.

Tapology: It might be a long ways off if it ever does happen, but how do you see yourself matching up with him?

Shields: I think it is a really interesting fight. Who knows what will happen. I think I have an edge in Jiu-Jitsu, he might have the edge in striking, but let’s get out there and see what happens.

Shields: The bottom line is that the UFC is not going to let you jump ship after one fight, so it’s not a realistic option. At some point you have to look and weigh your options between money and fighting the best. Hopefully it will happen, but at this point I just have to concentrate on my Strikeforce contract and after that I will sit down with my managers and we’ll figure out what I want to do.

Damn, Mayweather should learn from this dude.

Comment

Shields is overrated. GSP and about 6 other WW in the UFC would ruin him.

Comment

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post
        Shields is overrated. GSP and about 6 other WW in the UFC would ruin him.
        its hard to judge shields based on his last two fights (all ive seen) but id say that he cud sub or lay n pray most of the top Welterweights, all seen vulnerable in one department or another, except maybe jon fitch, as far as shields skillset is concerned.

thiago alves was schooled by the kingfisher when he was young, jon fitch and most recently, GSP, definately think he could win that fight if he can deal with the strikes and knees/kicks.

honestly tho, i just think GSP would manhandle him just like he did with alves and fitch

Comment

the thing is fighters who is one dimensional but has the skills to submit and control the fight like Shields and Aoki can beat top level well rounded fighters. Aoki beat JZ, Hansen and Alvarez using just his submissions attacks and grappling control

Comment

GSP will kill him. To death.

Comment

I would love for this fight to happen. I think GSP would be too much for him but you never know.

I dont think Shields would have that much of a Jujitsu advantage.

I mean both are Gracie black belts
              Shields being from Cesar Gracie and GSP being a Gracie Barra black belt under Carlos Gracie Jr who is actually a higher belt than Cesar.

Comment

I agree he's the best guy GSP has never fought, but the skills gap between him and GSP is wider than the grand ****ing canyon

Comment

Sheilds gets mauled in this one. He won't be able to take GSP down and cannot hang with him on the feet. He'll probably hug him against the fence for most of the fight. Look out for Staph GSP....

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
                    Sheilds gets mauled in this one. He won't be able to take GSP down and cannot hang with him on the feet. He'll probably hug him against the fence for most of the fight. Look out for Staph GSP....
                    GSP will go through sheilds like a train

Comment

Working...
                    X