No announcement yet.

Who was the better fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
    Yeah but the thread is not set up to be a head to head.

Also Trout close? Are you high? Lara whipped him
    I should say closer than it should have been for Trout...or for all of them really...skill wise a prime Lara imo should have stopped him or won 12-0 instead of 9-3 etc.

I just said in another post but will add here too...the tendencies mentioned in the head to head still apply.

Lara as talented as he was...he gave away rounds and wasn't as dominant as his talent was...Murray on the other hand was very workmanlike with good skills, and you had to earn everything against him...different type of fighters but similar difficulty...skill wise it is no real comparison though
    Last edited by Boxing_1013; 07-15-2019, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
      The Genesis of this is not who wins if you force Lara to give up weight and fought at 160, it started from this clown saying GGG beating Murray at 160 is a better win then Canelo beating Lara at 154. Lara is a much better win on Canelo resume because he is just flat out a better and more accomplished fighter. If you handicapping Lara and force him to move up in weight instead not forcing Murray to come down to his weight....I would still bet money on Lara. He was a elite fighter and Murray is just a avg middleweight nothing more nothing less. But if you force any smaller fighter to go up in weight it makes the fight closer because you facing bigger men and that's harder...kind of why GGG ducked Ward and spoke about 154 or 168 forever but the coward never did it. But the question is which fighter is better and thus beating which guy is better for your resume.

agree on the bold. however, even if we were mythically handicapping for size and asking "who is the better fighter?" as the thread suggests, still think lara lets a guy like murray hang around. and beleive me, as the other guy was explaining to you, that is extremely important when you are deciding how good someone is as a professional boxer. very often lara amounted to less than the sum of his parts because he lacked professionalism.

if you really want to get into the core components of what makes a fighter better or worse, or a win better or worse, you need to discuss these subtleties.

if they fought 5 round fights with 12 oz gloves and headgear lara would be an unstoppable force. but they don't. so he gets dropped hard as F#ck by alfredo angulo and ends up on the ropes eating body shots and in danger of getting stopped.

Comment

Lara is a great fighter. Boring at times but great. You could even make the argument that he should be still undefeated. The Williams and Castano fights were clear robberies.

Comment

More skilled? Lara hands down, but better fighter H2H is a different question and better fighter P4P is a different question again.

If Canelo had fought and beaten the larger Murray at the same time he fought Lara in '14 I'd probably have given him a similar amount of credit for it, now... less so.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't realise the intent of the thread... I probably wouldn't have commented if I'd understood, but to clarify, Lara is a significantly better name on Canelo's resume at 154 than Murray was on GGGs at 160, but the close and somewhat controversial manner of the victory compared to GGGs dominance over Murray balances it somewhat. Weigh that ish as you will.
          Last edited by Citizen Koba; 07-16-2019, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pillowfists98 View Post
            Lara is a great fighter. Boring at times but great. You could even make the argument that he should be still undefeated. The Williams and Castano fights were clear robberies.
            In boxing it can work both ways. Check out his fight with Carlo Molina. Molina outworked him but Lara got a gift draw that time.

Comment

If they fought as middleweights the result would be difficult to predict.

Comment

I still think Golovkin's win over Murray at the time was a good win. I give credit to Canelo for fighting Lara at the time, especially when he did.

Comment

kafkod

Damn y’all gone did my dude bad on this one.

Comment

Gut reaction, Lara, but in the ring? we talking Canelo King Catchweight-A Side Every Advantage (short of putting opponent in handcuffs)-Thing? Now that's a different situation entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
                      Lara or Martin Murray.
                      - -Lady Lara was the best lady!

Comment

Working...
                      X