No announcement yet.

How can I bench more?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I bench more?

So about a month and a half ago,I started hitting the weights at the gym again,and I noticed that I can't seem to bench as much as I should. I'm about 5'9,165 but the problem is that I have long arms. I've heard that guys with long arms have trouble benching, because the bar has to travel farther from your chest to the lockout position. My other lifts are decent for 1 1/2 months at the gym. Dead lift is 265x6,and my squat is 245x6,but I struggle a lot with benching 155x6. Any suggestions on how to increase my benching, bros?

Originally posted by mike1010011 View Post
    So about a month and a half ago,I started hitting the weights at the gym again,and I noticed that I can't seem to bench as much as I should. I'm about 5'9,165 but the problem is that I have long arms. I've heard that guys with long arms have trouble benching, because the bar has to travel farther from your chest to the lockout position. My other lifts are decent for 1 1/2 months at the gym. Dead lift is 265x6,and my squat is 245x6,but I struggle a lot with benching 155x6. Any suggestions on how to increase my benching, bros?
    Next time try doing 160 x 4, and then 165 x 2 or eve x 1. You need to gradually increase weight to get your bench up.

Comment

Yeah Enayze is right..

Pyramiding with increased weight is one of the best methods.

A little exercise that might help is sometimes called a "power-press" used by power-lifters to boost their bench.

They set the holders on the standard-style bench to leave about 12 inches until lock out. They press the bar straight off and up from the racks and then lower it back to the racks and repeat for reps.

Because it's essentially only the last bit of the bench press, you can load up the bar with heaps more weight than you could ever bench, thus getting you used to the heavier weights and maybe breaking a sticking point.

One point to mention is that thiws exercise hits the tris good but hits the chest etc mainly when they are shortened. I would incorporate a set of flyes at the end of the routine after benching and power press in order to stretch them right out again and avoid injury and load those muscles with tension too.

Comment

Well, whatever you do, don't do PEDS.

Comment

lift heavy and eat basically.

Comment

Negative reps. Spotter helps you get the bar off the rack, then slowly get it down to your chest, get help to get it back up, repeat. Work heavy,

Negative reps help a lot.

Comment

eat more, and don't just focus on bench pressing.

your body needs proportion.

lift legs if you want to get stronger. the rest should fall into place.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                eat more, and don't just focus on bench pressing.

your body needs proportion.

lift legs if you want to get stronger. the rest should fall into place.
                Boom.

Squat, deadlift and strengthen your lats.

If that doesn't work.....dbol, bro.

Comment

pull back shoulders and arch your back . Make sure you a grippiong the heck out of the bar. Those techniques should help a bit

Comment

Performance Enhancing Drugs.

Comment

Working...
                    X