Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weaknesses of Floyd Mayweather - Analysis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mayweather doesn't have any glaring weaknesses or bad habits to speak of. In some fights he'll start slow, but that seems like it's done to size up an opponent so that he can make later adjustments. Against Pacquiao, I'm certain that he's going to use those rounds to learn as much as he can.

A few keys to victory for someone fighting Mayweather:

1. You aren't likely to win a decision unless it's an absolutely one-sided beatdown. Castillo should have beaten Floyd in their first fight. Even being extremely generous to Floyd in rounds that were close, I still had Castillo up by three rounds. Perhaps, Manny is the one person who could get a decision against Floyd, as he's extremely marketable himself.

2. You need to be active. You basically need to smother Floyd from the start and keep pouring it on until the end. If you've got a good jab, use it. Keep backing him up. Jab to the body. Throw to the body. Floyd's great at moving his head to avoid punches. He's also great at using his legs. Hit him in the body early to slow him down later.

3. Be patient. Floyd is super patient, and he tends to frustrate his opponents. Zab Judah had an early lead, but got frustrated and his lack of discipline allowed Floyd to turn the tables and win the rest of the fight. Floyd is going to dodge and deflect most of your punches. He's going to counter you unless you happen to have a super fast jab like Judah does. Just keep your cool and follow the gameplan.

The trick is to bully Floyd for 12 rounds. He's a boxer, and while he's shown that he can fight inside pretty well, it's not his prefered style. If you're strong and fast, you can beat him by turning it into a brawl. The reason Mayweather might not be so hot to fight Pacquiao is because Pacquiao's style is pretty much the very thing that he likes the least - a fast guy who throws a ton of punches. I'm not saying Pacquiao could easily beat Mayweather, it's just that the style match-up is pretty favorable for him. Knowing the plan, and being able to execute it are two different things.

Just my two cents.

Comment

Working...
    X