No announcement yet.

victor galindez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• victor galindez

I've heard that a few of his wins were gifts, but this dude has a really good resume for a light heavyweight. Sure he has alot of losses and draws from 1969-1971, but he was fighting the top argentinian boxers, not guys with 0-0 records.

He has beat like 10 light heavyweights that i actually consider as good or very good. This dude is better than guys like virgil hill, dm, tarver and glen johnson.

Originally posted by brownpimp88 View Post
    I've heard that a few of his wins were gifts, but this dude has a really good resume for a light heavyweight. Sure he has alot of losses and draws from 1969-1971, but he was fighting the top argentinian boxers, not guys with 0-0 records.

He has beat like 10 light heavyweights that i actually consider as good or very good. This dude is better than guys like virgil hill, dm, tarver and glen johnson.
    Galindez fought in a very strong era of light-heavyweights. In the ring he was tough, agressive and physically strong for a light-heavyweight. In his championship prime he went on a pretty good streak before being unprepared and upset by the underdog Mike Rossman on the undercard of Ali-Spinks II.

I saw him fight on TV quite often during the 70's but unfortunately my memory of alot of those fights is a bit faded.

I do vividly remember his KO loss to Marvin Johnson which was one of the best KO's I've seen. I also clearly remember his last fight losing to old nemesis Jesse Burnett in a cruiserweight battle, and reading about him being called in a race car.
    Last edited by SABBATH; 02-15-2007, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Speaking of that era, the fact that michael spinks conquered it makes him so great, doesnt it?

Comment

Speaking of that era, the fact that michael spinks conquered it makes him so great, doesnt it?
        The better fighters of the 70's were fading as Spinks came into prominence.

Matthew Saad Muhammad, Victor Galindez, John Conteh, James Scott, Jesse Burnett or Eddie Mustapha Muhammad would have been very tough fights for Spinks in 1979 or early 1980.

Michael's victory over Yaqui Lopez was an impressive win and his one punch KO over Marvin Johnson was a devestating display of left hook power.

Michael caught Eddie Mustapha Muhammad at the right time, two months after coming off of a heavyweight fight in which Eddie weighed over 200 lbs and subsequently had difficulty making weight. An impressive win nontheless for Michael despite Eddie being less than 100%.

When the rematch was made Eddie trained properly but weighed in over the limit on scales that were over 40 years old (had been used for Louis vs Lou Nova) and later found to be inaccurate. Eddie being stubborn about weighing within limit refused to lose any more weight and the title fight was suddenly changed to a 10 round non title fight before Spinks unfortunately backed out the day of the fight, refusing to fight Eddie.
        Last edited by SABBATH; 02-15-2007, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SABBATH View Post
          The better fighters of the 70's were fading as Spinks came into prominence.

Matthew Saad Muhammad, Victor Galindez, John Conteh, James Scott, Jesse Burnett or Eddie Mustapha Muhammad would have been very tough fights for Spinks in 1979 or early 1980.

Michael's victory over Yaqui Lopez was an impressive win and his one punch KO over Marvin Johnson was a devestating display of left hook power.

Michael caught Eddie Mustapha Muhammad at the right time, two months after coming off of a heavyweight fight in which Eddie weighed over 200 lbs and subsequently had difficulty making weight. An impressive win nontheless for Michael despite Eddie being less than 100%.

When the rematch was made Eddie trained properly but weighed in over the limit on scales that were over 40 years old (had been used for Louis vs Lou Nova) and later found to be inaccurate. Eddie being stubborn about weighing within limit refused to lose any more weight and the title fight was suddenly changed to a 10 round non title fight before Spinks unfortunately backed out the day of the fight, refusing to fight Eddie.
          do you think spinks has a better overall resume than roy jones jr. Lets compare who they beat at 175 and heavyweight only, his accomplishments at 160 and 168 dont mean much to me.

Comment

do you think spinks has a better overall resume than roy jones jr. Lets compare who they beat at 175 and heavyweight only, his accomplishments at 160 and 168 dont mean much to me.
            Spinks has a better resume at 175 undoubtedly.

Qawi and Eddie Mustafa Muhammad were better than Virgil Hill IMO who was likely Jones biggest win at light-heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by SABBATH View Post
              Yeah, I remember that, and I also remember how that cancellation completely ruined my Friday evening...Possibly the only time that I've ever seen a fight cancelled right there on the air.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi View Post
                Yeah, I remember that, and I also remember how that cancellation completely ruined my Friday evening...Possibly the only time that I've ever seen a fight cancelled right there on the air.
                You probably had the Ring Magazine where Bert Sugar bought the bags of sugar and weighed them to prove that in fact the scales were off and Eddie likely was under the light-heavyweight limit.

I remember I was pissed at Spinks for not fighting and especially Butch Lewis whose reasoning was that Eddie would be stronger with those whopping extra two pounds.

Comment

Working...
                X