Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sean O' Grady: King Without a Crown (1981 Sports Illustrated Article)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sean O' Grady: King Without a Crown (1981 Sports Illustrated Article)

http://www.si.com/vault/1981/11/02/8...-him-his-title

This guy should have had been sighned with HBO or Showtime ,he really knew the fight game and could call fights even with unknowns and up and comers on tuesday night fights back in the day !

Comment

I remember all that well. When Sean beat Kenty he sure looked like a world beater. But Pat O'Grady was building something I guess. Sean ended up getting stopped by Ganigan, would have been better off fighting Davis Jr.

Comment

No guarantee Sean beats Howard, but he had a great chance. Great commentator for USA Network.

Comment

Maybe best commentator of them all.

When the bell rings to start the round protect yourself at all times.....Sean, lol.

Last edited by JimEarl; 08-08-2015, 07:52 PM.

Comment

During the 1970s, Sean O'Grady was considering a joke, his dad Pat feeding him soft touches to create a 'fantastic' record. Though, because of that record, we couldn't stop following his career, could we?

But, we weren't surprised when he (holding a 73-1 record) was stopped in 12 rnds by Jim Watt for the WBC lightweight title. However, it was on cuts, and he had done a lot better than we expected.

And, less than a half year later, O'Grady outpunched the undefeated WBA lightwt champ Hilmer Kenty (probably a better boxer than Watt) to win a decision. The guy was for REAL.

It's one of those good memories I have from past days, when a ridiculed man gets his amends.
            Last edited by Ben Bolt; 08-15-2015, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Loved O'Grady

O'Grady was hurt some I think by being managed by Family, ganigan could have Koed anyone, anytime, if he hit them, that was a dangerous fight to take for anyone and one not needed unless you were champ, I would love to have seen him fight Mancini before the Kim fight, and Pryor at LW, before going to JWW.
              But also there were so many fights ahead for him, also vs Alexis Arguello at LW and if Duran had stayed longer at LW, wow what a division it would have been.
              He could box, he could hit, he could take Punishment, he was tall and had long arms at LW.

Comment

Working...
              X