No announcement yet.

Was the 164 offer really that bad?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vegemil View Post
    I know the whole Golovkin Ward fiasco is far behind us but I could never wrap my head around how Golovkin asking to fight at 164 was a duck. Wouldn't Ward still have an advantage because he's bigger? How is it a duck when a smaller guy wants to make it as fair as possible but the bigger guy wants to keep all of his advantages?
    nah, ggg him self said cws are wrong with the sport...
    how convenient this one was lol...

Comment

Once things that are said in the public sphere or in a public forum are out there, there's no taking them back, changing them or claiming that you meant to say something else.

Neither GGG nor his team mentioned any sort of special conditions for "elite" fighters. They said 154-168. They said catchweights are an issue with the sport, etc.

A simple, straight forward statement doesn't suddenly become nuanced with subtext when it's convenient.

GGG and his team made a statements which came back and bit them on the ass. And then the world moved on.

Simple as that.

Comment

The question has already been answered I see...

Comment

Golovkin is literally a bum.

Comment

That was not a duck from either guy. The problem was that GGG being willing to fight Froch and Chavez at 168 made the 164 weight request look like he didn't want to fight him as much as he wanted to fight other super middleweights.

Comment

I know the whole Golovkin Ward fiasco is far behind us but I could never wrap my head around how Golovkin asking to fight at 164 was a duck. Wouldn't Ward still have an advantage because he's bigger? How is it a duck when a smaller guy wants to make it as fair as possible but the bigger guy wants to keep all of his advantages?
              GG never ducked Ward and Ward never ducked GG. Had they fought Ward would've beat his ass. Too big for GG.

Comment

Originally posted by P.K Dionysus View Post
                Once things that are said in the public sphere or in a public forum are out there, there's no taking them back, changing them or claiming that you meant to say something else.

Neither GGG nor his team mentioned any sort of special conditions for "elite" fighters. They said 154-168. They said catchweights are an issue with the sport, etc.

A simple, straight forward statement doesn't suddenly become nuanced with subtext when it's convenient.

GGG and his team made a statements which came back and bit them on the ass. And then the world moved on.

Simple as that.
                Ward said he would fight floyd at 160, simple as that. Statement came back to bite him on the ass.

Comment

"Cuz ggg said 154-168...and froch and chavez at 168 doe."

...still not legitimate reasons why a mw and a smw meeting at 164 isn't a fair and reasonable concept.

Comment

Here's the straight truth. Team ggg insisted the fight could only happen at 164, they knew Ward would be hard pressed to make 168 and 164 would be out of the question. That way they could act like they wanted a Ward fight but wouldn't actually have to fight Ward. This after approving 168 for both Frock and Chavez Jr. Clear duck on their part

After this fell apart, Ward moved up a weight class to fight the #1 light heavy on the perceived killer Kovalev and lil g drug the #3 or #4 welter weight up not one but two weight classes. So who was looking for tough fights and who wasn't?

After watching ggg fight Jacobs and Canelo, I can certainly see why they didn't want a Ward fight.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam182 View Post
                      it was a duck especially since GGG said he would fight anyone from 154-168. he would fight chavez jr at 168 but ward at 164 knowing ward cant make that weight ROFL.
                      Boxing has weight classes. So if tomororw ggg says 154-hw and wilder calls him out and he dosen't fight it's a duck? You're not making any sense. GGG or any boxer is not obligated to fight anyone outside of his weight class. Also ward isn't chavez jr.

Comment

Working...
                      X