No announcement yet.

Was Prime Fedor the baddest man on the planet

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Prime Fedor the baddest man on the planet

at his peak in terms of pure fighting ability?

I'd say so. At least when it came to combat sports.

Comment

Unfortunately for him that's Vitali's title during most of Fedor's prime, but, I'd give it to him during that time V was retired and Emelianenko was still on a near unbeaten tear.

I'm not saying I'd favor Vitali in a Pride fight against Fedor, but, between the two I like Vitali's chances against Fedor in Pride much more than Fedor's chances against Vitali in the boxing ring.

Comment

I love me sum Vitali. I think he puts it on someone like no other, and his more likely to kill someone than anybody else. Still at sum point I think Fedor was for sure the baddest man for sure.

Comment

Yeah, he was insane. he's still one of the best ever. The level of competition wasn't that great, though.

P4P St. Pierre and Edgar were better. Penn on his best nights, too.

People comparing Vitali to Fedor are r3tarded. Fesor would kill him. Boxers don't belong in real fight. Boxing is the worst style for real fighting.

Comment

In his prime, at heavyweight, you're damn right he was. They even made a documentary by that same title:

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
              People comparing Vitali to Fedor are r3tarded. Fesor would kill him. Boxers don't belong in real fight. Boxing is the worst style for real fighting.
              I'm not saying Vitali could beat Fedor, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

While Vitali was an amateur boxer he was simultaneously competing in karate and kickboxing, winning four amateur world kickboxing titles and 2 professional world kickboxing championship tournaments.

Vitali's lack of wrestling and grappling would get exposed badly unless he knocked out Fedor early, but if you think boxing is Vitali's only skillset you're sorely mistaken. If Fedor tried to trade strikes with Vitali, he'd likely get knocked out. Fedor needs this fight on the ground.

Second, boxing is the most important art to train in for MMA. It's incomplete to be sure; a boxer without defense against leg kicks and takedowns is a sitting duck. But there's a reason it's called MIXED martial arts; nobody succeeds with just one. Everybody picks boxing + at least one grappling or wrestling art + at least one kickboxing art.

But the majority of strikes thrown and landed in any MMA fight are always boxing punches. Jabs, hooks, crosses, uppercuts, and overhands outnumber any form of kicks, knees, elbows, backfists, forearms, and all other strikes combined by a large margin. And boxing more so than any other striking art develops head movement, punching power, and positioning.

There is no substitute for boxing training in MMA.

BJJ is the most popular grappling art but there's also judo, catch wrestling, freestyle, collegiate wrestling, Greco-Roman, and sambo out there. Look at the Shamrocks, Sakuraba, Suzuki, Rousey, Khabib, Rutten. All became wildly successful in MMA with little or no BJJ.

Muay Thai is the most popular kickboxing art in MMA but there's also American style, Sport Karate style, Sanda, Lethwei, etc.

There is a reason all the best MMA fighters hire a boxing coach specifically in addition to a kickboxing coach, even though all boxing strikes are part of kickboxing training.

Comment

Originally posted by famicommander View Post
                I'm not saying Vitali could beat Fedor, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

While Vitali was an amateur boxer he was simultaneously competing in karate and kickboxing, winning four amateur world kickboxing titles and 2 professional world kickboxing championship tournaments.

Vitali's lack of wrestling and grappling would get exposed badly unless he knocked out Fedor early, but if you think boxing is Vitali's only skillset you're sorely mistaken. If Fedor tried to trade strikes with Vitali, he'd likely get knocked out. Fedor needs this fight on the ground.

Second, boxing is the most important art to train in for MMA. It's incomplete to be sure; a boxer without defense against leg kicks and takedowns is a sitting duck. But there's a reason it's called MIXED martial arts; nobody succeeds with just one. Everybody picks boxing + at least one grappling or wrestling art + at least one kickboxing art.

But the majority of strikes thrown and landed in any MMA fight are always boxing punches. Jabs, hooks, crosses, uppercuts, and overhands outnumber any form of kicks, knees, elbows, backfists, forearms, and all other strikes combined by a large margin. And boxing more so than any other striking art develops head movement, punching power, and positioning.

There is no substitute for boxing training in MMA.

BJJ is the most popular grappling art but there's also judo, catch wrestling, freestyle, collegiate wrestling, Greco-Roman, and sambo out there. Look at the Shamrocks, Sakuraba, Suzuki, Rousey, Khabib, Rutten. All became wildly successful in MMA with little or no BJJ.

Muay Thai is the most popular kickboxing art in MMA but there's also American style, Sport Karate style, Sanda, Lethwei, etc.

There is a reason all the best MMA fighters hire a boxing coach specifically in addition to a kickboxing coach, even though all boxing strikes are part of kickboxing training.

Spoken like a kid who's never trained.

Comment

nah... he was good but not the baddest... he fought in a weaker organization. he fought almost all his careers in japan.. the competition is different compare to the UFC.

Comment

Originally posted by IceTrayDaGang View Post
                    nah... he was good but not the baddest... he fought in a weaker organization. he fought almost all his careers in japan.. the competition is different compare to the UFC.
                    Prime young Fedor would destroy pretty much anyone in the UFC today.

Prime Fedor versus a prime DC would be such a crazy battle.

Comment

Working...
                    X