No announcement yet.

GGG: "I'll fight u in Sept." Canelo:"K. But not if u fight in June LOLZ"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GGG: "I'll fight u in Sept." Canelo:"K. But not if u fight in June LOLZ"

Just remember which side is moving the goalpost and throwing up ridiculous road blocks.

Canelo can fight in May but GGG can have his dream fight in June? What BS. He will knock Saunders out and they will have three damn months to promote the hottest fight in boxing that practically promotes it's self. If GGG loses or gets cut or something Oscar can call the fight off. But to call it off just because GGG is taking a fight he will almost certainly win sounds like Oscar never did want the fight to happen. GGG should fight Saunders in June regardless of what Oscar said about calling the fight off.

Comment

there's no point sacrifice june fight for canelo
      what if canelo lose ? oscar might secure september for rematch
      even if canelo win and then ppv number is above expectation, GBP might arrange rematch too lol

Comment

Originally posted by HeadShots View Post
        Just remember which side is moving the goalpost and throwing up ridiculous road blocks.
        Yes it's Golovkins side. They've been working towards a September fight for the past year, then in the past month Golovkin decides he wants a fight in June.

Comment

Originally posted by LOLffler View Post
          Yes it's Golovkins side. They've been working towards a September fight for the past year, then in the past month Golovkin decides he wants a fight in June.
          http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...574260821.html

I think the idea of Golovkin fighting in Astana in June has probably been floating around a lot longer than the last month. The above was from April 2016 and while it doesn't specifically mention Golovkin fighting at the Expo it's hard to imagine it didn't cross anybodies mind.

Also this:

http://ucnlive.com/tom-loeffler-expe...tful-2017-ggg/

In which Loeffler states they have 'a big offer' to fight in Kazakhstan and also, incidentally, unambiguously states that they are the B side to Canelo.

“I just spoke to (Golden Boy President) Eric Gomez today, so we’re also in continuing discussions and that fight – if it happens – we’re targeting September 2017 and hopefully we can make that fight. That’s the biggest fight commercially in the sport of boxing. I think both sides would win in that situation. It’s a tremendous fight and it would be the biggest fight in the United States and we’ll try everything from our side to try to make that happen,” said Loeffler, who says their side has a full understanding that, in this equation, they are the B-side to “Canelo.”

“That hasn’t been an issue from our side,” Loeffler clearly stated. “We just want to get the fight. We’ve conceded that Golden Boy would be the lead promoter, that Canelo would get the lion’s share of the monies
          . We just want to get the fight for Gennady. Gennady brings his titles. He’s got his world titles he can bring with him and Canelo said he’d meet him at middleweight. So there aren’t a lot of obstacles in making that fight.”

An Golovkin-Alvarez fight is one few fights left in boxing that would do significant numbers on pay-per-view and the type of marquee fight Golovkin and his team have been yearning for.

Loeffler continued, “We’d let them choose where the location is, so it’s not like we’re trying to impose our will or demands on the terms. We’re just trying to get the fight done, so it’s fair for both sides.”

A schedule that includes Jacobs and then Alvarez would be significant. When asked if that meant those would be the first two fights of Golovkin’s 2017 campaign, Loeffler revealed, “Well, we have a big offer to go back to Kazakhstan. (Golovkin’s) main sponsor is EXPO 2017 and they want him to go back to Kazakhstan at the end of May. So we’ll see. It’s step-by-step but if we can get the Canelo fight done in a reasonable period of time, then it’s possible he might just go into the Canelo fight.

2016 saw Golovkin – for the first time since 2012 – fight less than three times in a calendar year. The hope is, in the upcoming year, he goes back to his previous work rate. “You can’t promise anything but let’s just say he fights in March and September. Let’s say he wins both of those fights. There’s still the opportunity to fight in December. Or, if he fights in March, May or June and September, he could theoretically fight four times, if he fights in December.

“It was disappointing for our side because that’s how we built Gennady to where he is right now. He’s willing to fight anyone. His activity, he’s willing to fight anywhere and, for him to be the most active champion in boxing and only having two fights this year, it really, for me, I consider it a big setback. At the same time, those are the things you have to go through to satisfy your mandatory requirements. I mean, some people look at it as a bad year.”

But Loeffler does see a bright side to this past year for “GGG.”

“Other people will say he added the WBC title to his collection; he sold out the Forum, which, I understand, hadn’t been sold out since 1971 (for boxing). He sold out the O2 Arena (in London) in 11 minutes,” he points out. “So you look at two fights, maybe it’s not a great year. On the other side of that, with every fight of his career, he’s getting bigger and, for 2017, I think he’s positioned to have a huge year.”

So if all this comes to fruition – and, just as importantly, Golovkin comes out victorious – would that mean 2017 would mark his final year as a middleweight?

After chuckling, Loeffler stated, “He wants that last title. He wants the WBO title, so whether that’s (titlist Billy Joe) Saunders or somebody else, at that point, he wants that title. There’s Chris Eubank (Jr); that’s a big fight. Now if there’s a big fight at 168 like a (WBO beltholder Gilberto) Ramirez, (Top Rank Promotions CEO) Bob Arum’s been talking about fighting Ramirez (with Golovkin), the undefeated 168-pounder. That’s a big fight. (Julio Cesar) Chavez (Jr.) has come back in the picture. Their people have been calling and that would also be a big fight at 168 pounds. Chavez is fighting in December in Mexico.
          Last edited by Citizen Koba; 03-29-2017, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
            http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...574260821.html

I think the idea of Golovkin fighting in Astana in June has probably been floating around a lot longer than the last month. The above was from April 2016 and while it doesn't specifically mention Golovkin fighting at the Expo it's hard to imagine it didn't cross anybodies mind.
            Well both Expo and K2 have done their part for the last years with their canvas tarps. The question is, if Expo wasn't in June, could a ggg match make money there? Can the revenues cover Saunders? With the Expo in that month, what major effect would it have on those attendees going. Do they even now who GGG is? If they factor that the money isn't right with Saunders they can still fight there without Saunders and choose someone else like a Jeff Horn stylee. It furthers the defense record anyways yet proves that they have no interest being "bullied" by GBP.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirko Troll Cop View Post
              Well both Expo and K2 have done their part for the last years with their canvas tarps. The question is, if Expo wasn't in June, could a ggg match make money there? Can the revenues cover Saunders? With the Expo in that month, what major effect would it have on those attendees going. Do they even now who GGG is? If they factor that the money isn't right with Saunders they can still fight there without Saunders and choose someone else like a Jeff Horn stylee. It furthers the defense record anyways yet proves that they have no interest being "bullied" by GBP.
              ggg wants to get saunders on that slippery canvas so he can track him down and stop him. otherwise the slick saunders would easily outbox the zombie ggg. i hate cheaters

Comment

Sign a contract stating Canelo will fight in Sept against a multi-million loss (should he opt not to take it), if he comes through the JCC fight.

Done.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirko Troll Cop View Post
                  Read my amended post, you might find the article interesting - specially the bit where Loeffler straight out acknowledges Canelo as the A side and his entitlement to the 'lions share' of the monies. It's from Nov last year but also mentions a possible Astana date in late May - ie before the expo actually kicks off - which would have probably been better, but it look like this may have been pushed back. To answer your question though, I have no idea how well it would help attendance to the event or whether the people going will have any idea who he is. It does seem that Golovkin is probably K'Stans best known international export (apart from oil of course, but most would argue he has slightly more personality than oil). As to the financials? Well - it's an international energy Expo - and there is a lot of money being thrown at it - certainly in the Billions in $ terms ($3-5 bil per Google) - how much the sponsors think Golovkin is worth is another matter of course, but if they choose to get behind it, they can pretty much afford it I think - whether that will still be important to them at another time is anyone's guess.

May suspicion is that even if they can't get Saunders they may well find a different opponent - which would be disappointing for all involved I think - but I think there also may be an element of almost deliberately trying to show that the can't 'be bullied' as you put it, by Oscar. Who knows though? Maybe I'm reading too much into it.
                  Last edited by Citizen Koba; 03-29-2017, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                    ggg wants to get saunders on that slippery canvas so he can track him down and stop him. otherwise the slick saunders would easily outbox the zombie ggg. i hate cheaters
                    No that was already done before in Tapia fight. Latex plastic canvas with a tad bit of creased wrinkle was super original doe!! Some people like their food cold or uncooked when dining at a fine restaurant. No problem!

Comment

Working...
                    X