No announcement yet.

100yrs ago Jess Willard won the title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
    I think what makes the stamina stand out is these guys also fought in close, body weight on body weight. To fight in 100+ degree heat for so many rounds is amazing.

And at 6'6 he was the tallest Heavy until Carnera.

Willard, The Great White Hope.
    Actually Carnera was listed at 6'5 so Willard was the tallest heavyweight champ until Klitschko, unless you want to count Ernie Terrell.

And Willard was horse****. One good win over a washed up fighter doesn't negate a 22-5 record and a pathetic title reign.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      Actually Carnera was listed at 6'5 so Willard was the tallest heavyweight champ until Klitschko, unless you want to count Ernie Terrell.

And Willard was horse****. One good win over a washed up fighter doesn't negate a 22-5 record and a pathetic title reign.
      I never thought I would see a thread making a case for Jess Willard being a good fighter. He sucked and no amount of sugarcoating is going to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
        He was able to fight 26rds in 103* degree heat. He had a decent jab and devastating right hand power. He could also take a good rap. Today's fighters struggle to last 12rds and have no more ability than what Willard had.. The Willard KO punch is similar to Hasim Rahman KO Lennox Lewis.. i would certainly fancy Willard to beat the likes of Rahman and many other alphabet champions of the last 30yrs..Maskaev, Peter, Ruiz, McCall, Bruno, Spinks, Brewster, Sanders, Moorer, Briggs, Botha, Ibragimov, Haye, Chagaev, Liakhovich, Valuev.
        Great points! Willard's height and reach plus the stamina and jab that you described were a a lethal combination vs Johnson, who used clinches to manipulate a much more favorable punches landed disparity and to compensate for his inferior durability. Johnson dishonored himself with his sour grapes claim that he threw the fight when in reality he couldn't give any more and quit.

Comment

Willard was not just standing doing nothing for those 26rds. He was in a prizefight need i say more. Let's not forget The Great Sugar Ray Robinson collapsing from heat prostration after 13rds against Joey Maxim. Willard lasted twice as long and against a great champion in Johnson, who although at the tail-end of his career, could still fight for 26rds. The fight itself was not of the intensity of "The Thrilla in Manilla" yet both fighters were throwing punches, wrestling, fainting, grappling, opening-up throughout the full 26rds. So credit has to be given to both men. Willard did not neglect throwing punches to Johnson's body, which must have taken there toll on the champion as the bout wore on. We are also watching the fight footage from one camera at the back of the arena. Today we use around 50 camera's above and around ringside in HD. Willard does not get the credit he deserves for this victory. Yet it is on a par or better than James Buster`Douglas victory over Mike Tyson in Tokyo 1990.
          Great reading! Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
            I never thought I would see a thread making a case for Jess Willard being a good fighter. He sucked and no amount of sugarcoating is going to change it.
            i actually gave up 2hrs of my life to check out how many times you and Scott make posts immediately after each other. i reached 500 and gave up counting. i am positive you are the same person.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
              Maybe you should take your case up with the International Boxing Hall of Fame.. Who inducted Jess Willard on their first ballot. it shows just what you know about the sport of boxing? ... **** all

Comment

He'd be a serious contender in today's HW division that's for sure.

Comment

Willard-Johnson round by round coverage in a 1915 daily:
                  (click upper right magnifier to zoom in)

http://idnc.library.illinois.edu/cgi...t-txIN-------#

Comment

i actually gave up 2hrs of my life to check out how many times you and Scott make posts immediately after each other. i reached 500 and gave up counting. i am positive you are the same person.
                    You forgot to add Jab to your list. Of course you would say that about anybody who challenges your absurd opinions.

Comment

Clown

Comment

Working...
                      X