No announcement yet.

Jess Willard vs. David Haye

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Than again....I love playing Devils advocate.....Dempsey would have had to go to a neutral corner by todays rules and never have been allowed to stand over him ready to pounce the second he rose from the canvas. Seconds are precious and these just might have given Willard enough to recover and go on.
    Maybe from the first one, but he was basically unconscious after the third knockdown. He could barely raise his arms to defend himself. Those shots to the temple as he was getting up couldn't have helped but, even with a neutral corner, I can't see him buying himself more than maybe another round in the best possible situation. And the best possible situation would probably be Dempsey tripping out of the ring hahaha Point being, I don't think Willard was particularly resistant toward the stoppage, I just think the ref was a sadist.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
      Maybe from the first one, but he was basically unconscious after the third knockdown. He could barely raise his arms to defend himself. Those shots to the temple as he was getting up couldn't have helped but, even with a neutral corner, I can't see him buying himself more than maybe another round in the best possible situation. And the best possible situation would probably be Dempsey tripping out of the ring hahaha Point being, I don't think Willard was particularly resistant toward the stoppage, I just think the ref was a sadist.
      couldnt raise his arms? have you seen willards stance? unless he was throwing punches his arms wernt raised.

had there been a neutral corner rule it would have saved willard atleast 3, possibly 4 different knockdowns in the first round alone given him quite some time to recover, and a much better chance of getting his jab in, a jab that nearly took demseys head off in the first round. modern day rules willard vs dempsey may very well have made it to the 7th where dempsey slows down to a crawl from exhaustion and willard knocks him out.

haye is no dempsey and he isnt going to be doing anywhere near enough damage to knock out, let alone knock down willard. his best bet is to move and hit move an hit while he runs a marathon in 3 min bursts like he did vs SNV.

if he uses his speed he might pull off a UD but id imagine willards gonna tag him on the way in more then enough to get the judges to question who really won it.
      Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 05-30-2011, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
        the 7th where dempsey slows down to a crawl from exhaustion and willard knocks him out.
        And this is based on.....what exactly? Because a past-it and inactive Dempsey had stamina issues against Tunney? :thinking9:

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
          And this is based on.....what exactly? Because a past-it and inactive Dempsey had stamina issues against Tunney? :thinking9:

Poet
          dempsey was not the same person in the second and third round as he was in the first. wrestling with the 240 lb giant was taking its toll.

after putting some more thought into it, it could also be that he didnt know how much longer the fight was going to last so he decided to pace himself after the first round, perhaps a mix of both.
          Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 05-30-2011, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
            couldnt raise his arms? have you seen willards stance? unless he was throwing punches his arms wernt raised.

had there been a neutral corner rule it would have saved willard atleast 3, possibly 4 different knockdowns in the first round alone given him quite some time to recover, and a much better chance of getting his jab in, a jab that nearly took demseys head off in the first round. modern day rules willard vs dempsey may very well have made it to the 7th where dempsey slows down to a crawl from exhaustion and willard knocks him out.

haye is no dempsey and he isnt going to be doing anywhere near enough damage to knock out, let alone knock down willard. his best bet is to move and hit move an hit while he runs a marathon in 3 min bursts like he did vs SNV.

if he uses his speed he might pull off a UD but id imagine willards gonna tag him on the way in more then enough to get the judges to question who really won it.
            You're reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally reaching here.

Comment

**** this, Willard was a big lumbering Oaf, he gets turned, outmonouvered and outclassed, Haye hits hard enough and precise enough to KO his ass too

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                **** this, Willard was a big lumbering Oaf, he gets turned, outmonouvered and outclassed, Haye hits hard enough and precise enough to KO his ass too
                He had a mighty right hand, though and Haye isn't exactly a block of granite.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
                  He had a mighty right hand, though and Haye isn't exactly a block of granite.
                  No but he is slick enough to avoid it long enough to do the damage himself

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                    No but he is slick enough to avoid it long enough to do the damage himself
                    I think it would look like the Valuev fight, but it completely depend it willard catches him or not

Comment

Working...
                    X