No announcement yet.

Emerging Evidence Suggests Weights Do In Fact Slow You Down

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emerging Evidence Suggests Weights Do In Fact Slow You Down

I'm not sure where the idea that weight training slow's you down originates.

But the idea seems to have been bandied about in boxing circles since the time of Ali and probably much earlier.

In recent years this has started to become discredited.

Sport scientists from around the world have been studying the effects of weight training on muscle fiber type (fast twitch or slow twitch) and seeing the effects that weight training is having using the latest most accurate techniques.

It turns out that the old school "myth" may actually have credibility as scientists are now seeing the fast twitch fibers get converted to hybrid's and or slower fiber types.

Video here going through the studies;

https://youtu.be/GkFN2wkvPoM

Worth looking into but I'd be surprised if that was conclusive, I've definitely used weights and resistance over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
      Worth looking into but I'd be surprised if that was conclusive, I've definitely used weights and resistance over the years.
      I think going heavy with weights are sure to slow you down, not sure about doing light weight work.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
        I think going heavy with weights are sure to slow you down, not sure about doing light weight work.
        My experience heavy slows you down light does not but what I have notice is you can’t be out there lifting weights like a true weight lifter than go do boxing work outs the body becomes over worked with soreness unless your like Mosley using Balco steroids

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
          My experience heavy slows you down light does not but what I have notice is you can’t be out there lifting weights like a true weight lifter than go do boxing work outs the body becomes over worked with soreness unless your like Mosley using Balco steroids
          Or Big Baby Miller.

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
            I think lighter weights with faster movement's are probably the way to go.

I think another point about weight lifting to failure is when you've burnt the muscle out, it will probably adapt by upping it's endurance requirement's which could be a shift in the slow fiber direction. There's no hard evidence of that though.

It's probably best to leave a bit in the tank training wise and make sure you can go hard everyday. Save the burn out for competition.

Comment

Or Big Baby Miller.
              Yea that fatso too

Comment

What would be considered light weights?

I was referring to weight gloves and or wrist weights and ankle weights, I'll shadow box some rounds like this.

Aside from that, I do HIIT when not boxing or running, at least I did before the lockdown. That's explosive weight lifting at a fast pace but aside from squats, pullups, etc, everything is 25 lbs or less for the most part.

Comment

Old school boxing training gets vindicated again.

There's a reason they did things a certain way for so long...because it worked.

Comment

I dont believe that at all. For example, all the top tier national amateur squads are lifting weights. Compound movements, heavy weight, low reps. It does not make you slower. Thats just pure BS. Ive seen the results myself.

Comment

Working...
                    X