Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So having 3 belts means less than having 1?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So having 3 belts means less than having 1?

Maths was never a strong suit of mine but i remember studying percentages, with 75 percent being a higher proportion of something then 25 percent.
    That was until i started browsing boxingscene and it seems this concept has been flipped on its head, being that the guy with 25 percent of the belts is considered the true champion and this fight on saturday supposedly decides who the number 1 fighter is in the division.
    And some people going as far as to say the guy with 75 percent of the belts is actually ranked third in the division?
    Or does having the wbc mean more than the other 3? If so i guess jermall charlo is the number 1 middleweight in the rankings, and Oubaali ahead of inoue at bantam.
    Or do we just make up this crap up as we go along?

It depends how the belts were gained and who has them

Having most belts doesn’t automatically make you number 1 or mean more.

jeison rosario has 2 of the LMW belts, 3 if you include IBO, but I certainly wouldn’t say he’s anywhere near the best in the division.

If we’re talking heavyweights, I’m not sure how significant the belts are right now. Fury arguably should own the WBC and the other belts are the ones the ones Fury never lost in the ring

Wilder got that WBC against a weak fighter in Stiverne. AJ’s come from a vacant title against Fury leftover in Wlad. The worse champ ever in Martin and from Parker who never looked impressive as champ.

So I’d say none of the HW titles right now have great status or value, they’re just belts.

Fury is the only guy in the division that has ripped titles off a consensus number 1 when he beat Wlad.

Comment

Order of importance for Heavyweight titles:
      1. Lineal
      2. The Ring
      3. WBC
      4. WBA (Super)
      5. IBF
      6. WBO
      7. IBO

The winner of Wilder vs Fury will be lineal, Ring, and WBC champion. That's way more important than having a bunch of other belts, at least one of which will likely be stripped soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Madison boxing View Post
        Maths was never a strong suit of mine but i remember studying percentages, with 75 percent being a higher proportion of something then 25 percent.
        That was until i started browsing boxingscene and it seems this concept has been flipped on its head, being that the guy with 25 percent of the belts is considered the true champion and this fight on saturday supposedly decides who the number 1 fighter is in the division.
        And some people going as far as to say the guy with 75 percent of the belts is actually ranked third in the division?
        Or does having the wbc mean more than the other 3? If so i guess jermall charlo is the number 1 middleweight in the rankings, and Oubaali ahead of inoue at bantam.
        Or do we just make up this crap up as we go along?
        - -AJ with 4 belts-80%.

Deyonce with his TBA belt20%.

Fury with his Lineal claims don't have a belt for that faery title.

Simple!

Comment

Originally posted by famicommander View Post
          1. Lineal
          2. The Ring
          3. WBC
          4. WBA (Super)
          5. IBF
          6. WBO
          7. IBO

The winner of Wilder vs Fury will be lineal, Ring, and WBC champion. That's way more important than having a bunch of other belts, at least one of which will likely be stripped soon.
          come on man, seriously....

Comment

Originally posted by famicommander View Post
            1. Lineal
            2. The Ring
            3. WBC
            4. WBA (Super)
            5. IBF
            6. WBO
            7. IBO

I don't know that I necessarily agree with that list, but there do seem to be a lot of fans that value the lineal title or Ring Magazine title over the sanctioning body titles. So for those fans, it's not as simple as "3 vs 1."

The larger issue though is regardless of how many belts you have, if less than a year ago you got dropped over and over until you quit, very few are going to rate you #1 over an undefeated champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Madison boxing View Post
              come on man, seriously....
              The Ring may be owned by Oscar but at least they admit it.

Unlike the WBO which is pretty much owned by Arum and Warren.

Or the WBA which will bend over backwards for Hearn.

Or the WBC which is all about PBC.

Or the IBF who constantly put nobodies in mandatory spots.

The Ring ranks the whole division. That's what makes their belt better than the big 4. The big 4 only rank fighters following specific paths towards their own belts, and they don't rank each other's champions.

Comment

Eye test

Winner of this fight is the clear #1 HW to me

Comment

Originally posted by World Champion View Post
                  I don't know that I necessarily agree with that list, but there do seem to be a lot of fans that value the lineal title or Ring Magazine title over the sanctioning body titles. So for those fans, it's not as simple as "3 vs 1."

The larger issue though is regardless of how many belts you have, if less than a year ago you got dropped over and over until you quit, very few are going to rate you #1 over an undefeated champion.
                  The lineal and Ring are "championships" while the others are "titles"

The WBA, WBC, WBO, IBF, and IBO don't rank the entire division from best to worst.

What they do is rank fighters following specific paths to their own belts, and they don't rank the champions from the other organizations.

That's how you end up with dudes that aren't ranked in the top 10 by TBRB, Ring, or BoxRec fighting for vacant belts all the time and it's a joke.

The Ring has major credibility issues too, being owned by a promoter and not always following their own rules, but their methodology is still better.

Comment

Originally posted by World Champion View Post

lineal and ring arent even real belts man, ones made up by some ****ty magazine ran by golden boy and the other one doesnt even exist at all

Comment

Working...
                    X