No announcement yet.

Protein shakes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protein shakes?

I already got quite a bit of information from friends and traning partners but some of you might know your **** too.

In the last year or two i injured myself twice and my training suffered from it and i gained a bit of weight, in april i sprained my foot and it took a long time to heal, i was not able to return to my normal training until 3 weeks ago. During the time i was injured i stopped caring, ate whatever i wanted, drank bear and kept training to a minimum.

My ideal weight would be 230-235 but right now i am at 267, i was at 280 when i started training again at full capacity 2 weeks ago. So i lost 13 pounds in two week training 6 days a week. In fall i'm going back to the gym and i want to be in top shape.

My problem is that with all the training it i am sore like a mother****er. I try to eat as much proteins as i can but cooking chicken and fish every day is not always easy.

So a friend of mine told me i should start taking protein shakes to add proteins to my diet, which would require me to eat less, make me less sore and lose the weight even faster.

Note that i work nights, so i get up and have breakfast at around 5 pm.

What i plan to do is:

Have a full meal when i get up.

Have a small collation after working out.(A fruit and some trail mix, or something of the sort)

Have a protein shake + 2 fruits later on.

That is all i would eat during a day. What do you guys think? Will it not be enough?

Edit: No i'm not a little fatty, 280 pounds is a lot but keep in mind that i am 6'4 and rather muscular.

If you're going to use them, then IMO when you get up you should have a protein shake with water. That means it'll get into your muscles (which have been starved of it all night) ASAP and prevent them being broken down as fuel. This will make your body more likely to use fat reserves instead. You can still eat soon afterwards because it won't be at all filling (at least in my experience).

I think your diet could do with some variation and some more calories. Healthy fats are good for you in moderation and encourage fat burning.

If you eat too little, your body goes into starvation mode and tries to preserve as much body mass as possible. If you're 6'4 and muscular I would think that you could take in 3000 cals per day and not get fat as long as the calories came from good food and not too much junk. Obviously you want to be lower than that as you're aiming to lose weight rather than stay the same, but if you go too low you risk having a lot less energy for your training and may end up having ****ty training sessions and not even losing much weight.

I think you should try a more regular, healthy diet. High protein, but also decent amounts of complex carbs and healthy fats. Just avoid junk food, sweets etc. and train hard and you should steadily lose weight. Only eating 3 times per day will slow your metabolism as well, it'd be better to space what you eat out a bit more if possible.
    Last edited by Clegg; 07-21-2010, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Equilibrium View Post
      I already got quite a bit of information from friends and traning partners but some of you might know your **** too.

In the last year or two i injured myself twice and my training suffered from it and i gained a bit of weight, in april i sprained my foot and it took a long time to heal, i was not able to return to my normal training until 3 weeks ago. During the time i was injured i stopped caring, ate whatever i wanted, drank bear and kept training to a minimum.

My ideal weight would be 230-235 but right now i am at 267, i was at 280 when i started training again at full capacity 2 weeks ago. So i lost 13 pounds in two week training 6 days a week. In fall i'm going back to the gym and i want to be in top shape.

My problem is that with all the training it i am sore like a mother****er. I try to eat as much proteins as i can but cooking chicken and fish every day is not always easy.

So a friend of mine told me i should start taking protein shakes to add proteins to my diet, which would require me to eat less, make me less sore and lose the weight even faster.

Note that i work nights, so i get up and have breakfast at around 5 pm.

What i plan to do is:

Have a full meal when i get up.

Have a small collation after working out.(A fruit and some trail mix, or something of the sort)

Have a protein shake + 2 fruits later on.

That is all i would eat during a day. What do you guys think? Will it not be enough?

Edit: No i'm not a little fatty, 280 pounds is a lot but keep in mind that i am 6'4 and rather muscular.

your ideal weight is probably more like 220. George foreman was 6'4 220-224 in his prime and cut to shyt.

Comment

Hey guys i have the same sort of question instead making a new thread.. Id like to invest in a weigh protein but which ones are recommended and proven? I dont want to gain weight though i just want to recover after a workout. Im currently boxing 3 times a week and would like to stay at my weight (lightweight) without putting weight on! Any help would be much appreciated thanks!

Comment

It seems like you should at least get 2 full meals a day or you could just take 2 protein shakes to replace the meal.

Comment

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/boxing.htm

I use the #1 rated whey protein on that site, and wow it works wonders. I have the delicious strawberry flavor and I mix it with water for less fat, still tastes great.

Comment

If you want to lose some weight effectively try this diet: http://velocity.tmuscle.com/indexVelocity.jsp?s=index

It takes alot of dedication but a few of my friends did it and it worked great. Read through it and see if you like it.

Comment

Get some whey protein. It's cheap and it's a natural substance that helps with recovery after a workout.

Comment

Just got with Optimum Whey or Isopure Zero carb. BCAA's in between meals with help.

Glutamine Powder is another thing you could try. Mix it with your shakes.

It should help with soreness. I'm sure you know as you keep at it, the soreness will become less and less intolerable.

Comment

STRONG lol at thinking you'll be able to perform with a 1,000 calorie diet.. hahahaha.

you need to find your maintenance (the amount of calories you can eat a day and maintain your weight) and deduct around 500 from that and you should lose around 1 to 1.5lbs a week.. any more and you risk losing muscle. If you just want to cut ASAP then I suggest eating 3k a day.. if you really are training 6 days a week, you should be burning at LEAST 500 but probably closer to 1,000 calories a day if you're running as well as doing gym work.

remember, the faster you lose the weight, the more muscle you will also lose. it's a ****ty trade off, and healthy weight loss takes time.

Comment

Working...
                    X