Collapse
No announcement yet.

The struggle of weight cutters - BBC article

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldn't be hard to stop this, there's blood and urine tests that can tell how dehydrated someone is. Take a sample just before the weigh-in, if they're cutting too much ban them from competing in the fight.

Comment

Death in the ring is why there's not same day weigh-ins. Unless you want the sport banned it should stay the way it is now.

Comment

Originally posted by HandsofIron View Post
        UFC/MMA needs more weight classes so the fighters wont have to drain the hell out of themselves, the jump in weight is too high too.
        Don't say that. I'm enjoying seeing MMA in the way boxing used to be & dream of how amazing boxing could be right now with less divisions.

Plus as long as there are rules that allow weight draining &/or weight gaining previous to getting in the ring guys will take advantage of it. Its human f#cking nature.

The only way you fix this is taking it off the table completely which means ending weight cutting & mandating healthy walking around weight combat sports. How you go about that is debatable, but its the only way I see to stop whats going on now. And boxers lives & bodies will be at greater risk than they are already til they decide to do this.

Comment

mma weight cuts make boxing weight cuts look tame. lots of those guys come from wrestling, where drying out is super prolific. mma fights are usually only 3 rounds of 5 minutes. that's 15 minutes, less than half of the average boxing amtch on TV. you can cut more weight in that sport becuse of the duration of the fights.

some of those guys put on 20+ lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            Don't say that. I'm enjoying seeing MMA in the way boxing used to be & dream of how amazing boxing could be right now with less divisions.

Plus as long as there are rules that allow weight draining &/or weight gaining previous to getting in the ring guys will take advantage of it. Its human f#cking nature.

The only way you fix this is taking it off the table completely which means ending weight cutting & mandating healthy walking around weight combat sports. How you go about that is debatable, but its the only way I see to stop whats going on now. And boxers lives & bodies will be at greater risk than they are already til they decide to do this.
            Boxing should probably go back to same day weigh-ins.

Comment

It's not healthy cutting muscle and I think that's ******ed, but most fighters just drain their fluids in the sauna and no eating or drinking a day before weigh in you could lose up to 12-15 pounds on that and easily gain it back when you start drinking and eating.

Comment

Originally posted by The Akbar One View Post
                Weighins should be just prior to the match.
                And that absolutely solves the problem

Comment

Originally posted by A.K View Post
                  It's not healthy cutting muscle and I think that's ******ed, but most fighters just drain their fluids in the sauna and no eating or drinking a day before weigh in you could lose up to 12-15 pounds on that and easily gain it back when you start drinking and eating.
                  You cant cut muscle the day before a weigh-in all you lose is fluids, muscle mass is lost during training camp and dieting weeks before the fight. fighters should not except a weight they cannot make there is no advantage to being bigger if youre as flat as a tack because of fasting and wasting.

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
                    You cant cut muscle the day before a weigh-in all you lose is fluids, muscle mass is lost during training camp and dieting weeks before the fight. fighters should not except a weight they cannot make there is no advantage to being bigger if youre as flat as a tack because of fasting and wasting.
                    Yeah thats basically what I said.. cutting muscle is dumb as hell and draining takes a day which most fighters do.

Comment

Working...
                    X