No announcement yet.

The differences between a fight fan a cheerleader/fanboy and a hater

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eternalfighter View Post
    A true fight fan - likes a fighter based on fighting style, courage and resume or they dislike a fighter because of those same reasons or lack thereof.

A cheerleader/fanboy - likes a fighter because of his "attitude" race/ethnicity/nationality and solely because of that or because he speaks a certain language. Or because the media told them to or...because of some other reason only they know.

A hater- hates/dislikes a fighter because of their race/ethnicity/nationality or speaks/dosen't speak a certain language and solely because of those reasons and their hate trancends boxing or sports for that matter and is a generalized hate/dislike.

Here are some examples with commentators...

Fight fans
    Czyz
    O'Grady
    Both former fighters

Cheerleaders/fanboys
    Lampley
    Kellerman

Haters
    Atlas-hates/dislikes Mexican/west coast fighters
    Merchant-hates/dislikes black fighters
    I disagree on the criteria for being a true fan. A true fan is someone that watches the sport and not just one fighter or one network, knows the rules, and tries to get their friends and family to watch the sport as well.

This is sports. People pick sides for all kinds of reasons. There is no rule that you have to like any fighter or any type of fighter. In any other sport it is natural for fans to have favorites and those they don't like.

In no other sport have I seen a "true fan" be defined by how they pick the athletes they support.

As for race/nationality/ethnicity that is a also a natural reason to like a fighter. You start out watching them locally and in Golden Gloves. Then you watch them in the Olympics for your country. Then you follow them as pros.

Again, this is sports. There is nothing wrong with "sports hate". In every other sport we hate certain teams or players. I don't know how that is wrong in this sport. You can hate a fighter but respect his skill and talent. IMO it is also ok to despise a fighter.

Where I will agree with you is it isn't ok is when a poster gets mad that you don't like the same guy they do and they make any criticism is rooted in race/nationality/ethnicity rather than address the criticism head on. That is a b-tch move.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatesrats View Post
      Rewatched Tyson Vs. Lewis for the first time in a LONG time & forgot how much joy HBO announce team had calling the beating Showtime fighter Mike Tyson (Former HBO fighter) took from Lennox that night.

Build you UP, To bring you DOWN is their M.O.
      I think its more like, if your going to act like can animal in the ring and bite your opponents ear off were going to enjoy watching you getting your ass kicked.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatesrats View Post
        Rewatched Tyson Vs. Lewis for the first time in a LONG time & forgot how much joy HBO announce team had calling the beating Showtime fighter Mike Tyson (Former HBO fighter) took from Lennox that night.

Build you UP, To bring you DOWN is their M.O.
        To this day I can't believe how many folks actually thought Tyson was going to win. Forums weren't as active back then and I had no dog in that fight but remember receiving particularly harsh criticism for suggesting Tyson is washed up and will be cannon fodder.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
          Merchant was a floyd hater. Not sure it's right to label him a hater of all black fighters, lol.

He was in the game a very long time, I'm sure some of his favorite guys in the sport were/are African American.

I agree about Lamps and Kellerman, they just cant hide their love for certain guys.
          You could be right about Merchant I know he disliked Floyd, Ward and Hopkins some of the most accomplished fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
            I disagree on the criteria for being a true fan. A true fan is someone that watches the sport and not just one fighter or one network, knows the rules, and tries to get their friends and family to watch the sport as well.

This is sports. People pick sides for all kinds of reasons. There is no rule that you have to like any fighter or any type of fighter. In any other sport it is natural for fans to have favorites and those they don't like.

In no other sport have I seen a "true fan" be defined by how they pick the athletes they support.

As for race/nationality/ethnicity that is a also a natural reason to like a fighter. You start out watching them locally and in Golden Gloves. Then you watch them in the Olympics for your country. Then you follow them as pros.

Again, this is sports. There is nothing wrong with "sports hate". In every other sport we hate certain teams or players. I don't know how that is wrong in this sport. You can hate a fighter but respect his skill and talent. IMO it is also ok to despise a fighter.

Where I will agree with you is it isn't ok is when a poster gets mad that you don't like the same guy they do and they make any criticism is rooted in race/nationality/ethnicity rather than address the criticism head on. That is a b-tch move.
            You pointed out something I agree with in the true fight fan criteria...they know the rules...great point.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
              To this day I can't believe how many folks actually thought Tyson was going to win. Forums weren't as active back then and I had no dog in that fight but remember receiving particularly harsh criticism for suggesting Tyson is washed up and will be cannon fodder.
              Yeah man, Tyson looked horrible in that fight... Watching him literally cry in the corner while they were treating his cuts between rds was brutal to see.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
                The difference is shown when the fighter you support loses or is in a tough fight....your post before and after will tell the tale
                When it comes to GGG you are a hater or you would not put his head on Broner's body.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                  When it comes to GGG you are a hater or you would not put his head on Broner's body.
                  Broner was Larry's next Floyd. He had high hopes for him and was expecting to be celebrating him as the fighter of the decade. I can understand why he has put the face on Broner. It can't be easy when your favorite fighter is a meme.

Comment

Originally posted by buddyr View Post
                    Does cripple g have any REAL fans?
                    Not many on this forum that's for sure but count me as a big GGG fan. Worldwide he is extremely popular. He didn't get paid maybe 30 million bucks for fighting Canelo because he has no fans. By calling him cripple g you brand yourself as a hater. GGG has lots of REAL fans even if you aren't one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by eternalfighter View Post
                      A true fight fan - likes a fighter based on fighting style, courage and resume or they dislike a fighter because of those same reasons or lack thereof.

A cheerleader/fanboy - likes a fighter because of his "attitude" race/ethnicity/nationality and solely because of that or because he speaks a certain language. Or because the media told them to or...because of some other reason only they know.

A hater- hates/dislikes a fighter because of their race/ethnicity/nationality or speaks/dosen't speak a certain language and solely because of those reasons and their hate trancends boxing or sports for that matter and is a generalized hate/dislike.
                      I disagree with your definitions all around.

To me a fanboy is the type who is all up on someone's nuts & comes up with illogical arguments on why that guy lost a fight or why any moves he makes are always good & never bad.

I think its fine to like a guy of your nationality or w/e (I'm always pro-Michigan fighters, but I'm logical & reasonable in my stances on them) as long as you are reasonable with things he does or doesn't do. Its when you act like a fighter can do no wrong when you drift into fanboy territory.

I also think a hater doesn't need to hate because or race or w/e. You can just hate a guy for a random reason. And its basically the exact opposite of a fanboy. You find an excuse for how he won any fight he won or at least the biggest ones to attempt to minimize their status in your & others eyes. Any move they make in the business you'll find a reason its the wrong move.

And I think a true fight fan is in the middle of these two types of fans. He just enjoys the sport at w/e level the guys are at that are fighting. He'll enjoy the biggest fights in the game down to the 4 rounders with pro debuters.

Comment

Working...
                      X