No announcement yet.

The Brown Bomber

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juan Acero View Post
    This bum is even more overrated than Mike Haggar or Carlos Clay.
    This guy makes Haggar and Clay look like Tunney And Marciano.

Shmeling exposed him. And Even though he won the rematch
    In superb fashion I think it was very telling what a dimwitt louis really was.

He didn't improve his defence at all he just jumped on the guy and it paid off. LOL And the usual "crowd" act like it was some strategic genius type sh'it...

Jon Louis was a hell of a puncher and he had decent technique.
    But let's face it he was a ******. He never had a plan B and he lacked heart. Who did he beat that was really all that?

The best "names" he fought were past it.
    Bobby Conn is a former lightweight and he made Jon look like a bumbling fool. Did he Not??

The Tommy Galentino fight is what completely convinced me Jon Louis is a complete hype job. His "greatness" was just a war propaganda era fabrication.

Now don't get me wrong Galentino was a tough son of a b'itch
    with a good punch. But he was not an athlete or a proffesional
    and he made louis look like a nobody in a tough man contest.

The only "great" this bum slayer fought was Marciano.
    And Marciano murderlized im....

Joe Louis was literally falling apart by the Marciano fight. He was fighting only because he was broke, nothing more.

Louis absolutely improved after the Schmelling fight. Better defence, more varied attacks, more subtelty to his set ups. Louis was basically a kid in the first Schmelling fight, to say he didnt improve after that is laughable. Actually he added to his skillset pretty consistently over his whole career until he retired the first time.

The Galento performance obviously wasnt his best, but an aggressive counter puncher like Louis is liable to get caught occasionally. Look at JMM for example who got dropped many many times. Joe L did KO Galento twice though, in case you have forgotten.

'Bobby' Conn (lol) was an ATG with a great style to move up in weight. Louis definitely underestimated him. He tried to get himself under 200lbs for the fight so it wouldnt be seen as such a mismatch. Conns brilliant movement, incredible lead hand and combination punching gave him fits. Louis KO'd him in the first fight, then easily KO'd him in the second.

The worst points of his career pre retirement you have picked out were KO wins ffs. Tells you all you need to know about Joe's dominance over his division.

Obviously you have the Godoy I fight which many thought he lost (he KO'd Godoy in the rematch), and the JJWalcott I fight which Joe should have lost (he KO'd Walcott in the rematch). But these were aberrations in a stunning career.

He cleared out the era just before him:

Schmelling
    Sharkey
    Carnera
    Baer
    Braddock
    Uzcudun
    JHLewis

Cleared out his own era:

Ramage
    Godoy
    B.Baer
    Galento
    Conn
    Simon
    Ettore
    Mann
    Farr
    Muirrello

Then got a great win over a future great in Jersey Joe Walcott before retiring. His comeback was purely financial. He fought the top guys nonetheless, getting a good win vs Savold in between losing to the likes of Ezzard Charles and Rocky Marciano. He also achieved the vast majority of those wins with brutal KO victories.

Was his era the best ever? Obviously not. You find that happens at HW when one guy dominates. They dont allow any other fighter to shine, and they dont have divisions above and below them to provide other great champions to fight. He still beat the best fighters in the division over a 15 year period.

If you can watch Joe Louis fight and not be conviced he was a brilliant technician and an ATG, then I question your ability to assess a fighter.
    Last edited by Tom Cruise; 09-23-2017, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X