North American Grizzly Bear vs Siberian Tiger

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WesternChamp View Post
    lmao!!! no chance at all.
    The claim that an adult grizzly bear can decapitate a moose with one swipe of its paw is an established fact.
    The first reported event took place in Alaska in 1895 by a Russian miner who was hiking through the wilderness. According to his account, he witnessed a moose drinking from a stream when a Grizzly bear approached from the other side. Moose are very territorial, and they are especially known to attack anything they perceive to be a threat to their water source. The moose charged full speed across the stream, and just as it neared the bear, the bear stood up and with a quick motion swiped the moose in the side of the face. The moose's head became decapitated and flew a distance of fifteen to twenty feet....and quick as a spark on a fire the grizzly bear stood up and swatted the moose in the face. Why it was if you or I would swat a fly, but the impact seemed to me as loud as a gunshot. And then I was absolutely flabbergasted and discombobulated to see, a great up-splash of blood, and the moose's head detached from the body and landed not three feet from where I was hidden, its eyes staring right at me. The bear sat down immediately and began drinking from the stream as if nothing had happened, as if it were a regular occurrence to go decapitating the head of a moose. Never in my life will I forget the power of the grizzly bear...
    The report was met by skepticism until noted American biologist Dr. Jacob MacDonaldson observed a similar event in the spring of 1954. MacDonaldson was observing the movements of a Grizzly bear when a moose walked into the same space. The grizzly bear perceived the moose to be a threat to the cubs, and roared to scare it off. But the moose began to graze. The bear then charged the moose, but again the moose did not move. The bear then lumbered over to the moose, and with a powerful swipe of its paw, decapitated the moose. Dr. MacDonaldson later retrieved the moose head an autopsy found damage consistent with that of decapitation by impact.Later studies contribute the phenomenon to both the relative weakness of a moose's upper neck and the power of a grizzly bears arm. Although a grizzly bear is very powerful, it does not have the strength to decapitate most creatures larger than a man. A moose however is peculiar in the structure of its upper neck, which is weak, and any force that puts a significant and sudden pressure on the weakest point of the neck will inevitably cause decapitation.Since 1895, there have been 15 reported cases of Moose decapitation by Grizzly, and most scientists theorize it is a natural, albeit somewhat rare, event.

I disagree with the part saying a Moose's neck is weak. It seems that all the swimming, feeding on water plants, and carrying those huge antlers would make its neck very strong
    Last edited by maracho; 03-20-2018, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by maracho View Post
      The claim that an adult grizzly bear can decapitate a moose with one swipe of its paw is an established fact.
      The first reported event took place in Alaska in 1895 by a Russian miner who was hiking through the wilderness. According to his account, he witnessed a moose drinking from a stream when a Grizzly bear approached from the other side. Moose are very territorial, and they are especially known to attack anything they perceive to be a threat to their water source. The moose charged full speed across the stream, and just as it neared the bear, the bear stood up and with a quick motion swiped the moose in the side of the face. The moose's head became decapitated and flew a distance of fifteen to twenty feet....and quick as a spark on a fire the grizzly bear stood up and swatted the moose in the face. Why it was if you or I would swat a fly, but the impact seemed to me as loud as a gunshot. And then I was absolutely flabbergasted and discombobulated to see, a great up-splash of blood, and the moose's head detached from the body and landed not three feet from where I was hidden, its eyes staring right at me. The bear sat down immediately and began drinking from the stream as if nothing had happened, as if it were a regular occurrence to go decapitating the head of a moose. Never in my life will I forget the power of the grizzly bear...
      The report was met by skepticism until noted American biologist Dr. Jacob MacDonaldson observed a similar event in the spring of 1954. MacDonaldson was observing the movements of a Grizzly bear when a moose walked into the same space. The grizzly bear perceived the moose to be a threat to the cubs, and roared to scare it off. But the moose began to graze. The bear then charged the moose, but again the moose did not move. The bear then lumbered over to the moose, and with a powerful swipe of its paw, decapitated the moose. Dr. MacDonaldson later retrieved the moose head an autopsy found damage consistent with that of decapitation by impact.Later studies contribute the phenomenon to both the relative weakness of a moose's upper neck and the power of a grizzly bears arm. Although a grizzly bear is very powerful, it does not have the strength to decapitate most creatures larger than a man. A moose however is peculiar in the structure of its upper neck, which is weak, and any force that puts a significant and sudden pressure on the weakest point of the neck will inevitably cause decapitation.Since 1895, there have been 15 reported cases of Moose decapitation by Grizzly, and most scientists theorize it is a natural, albeit somewhat rare, event.

I disagree with the part saying a Moose's is weak. U mean it seems that all tje swimming, feeding on water plants, and carrying those huge antlers would make its neck very strong
      stop it!!! a grizzly's claws measures anywhere from 2-4" only. yes, its sharp and if you get clawed by a bear, it'll prolly tear your skin apart but beheading a horse with its claws only? lmao!!! just stop it!!

Comment

stop it!!! a grizzly's claws measures anywhere from 2-4" only. yes, its sharp and if you get clawed by a bear, it'll prolly tear your skin apart but beheading a horse with its claws only? lmao!!! just stop it!!
        You mean up to 6" and accustomed to a incredible amount of digging for roots and breaking into wood for insects

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/_/articles/grizzly-bear-facts/

Comment

You mean up to 6" and accustomed to a incredible amount of digging for roots and breaking into wood for insects

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...ly-bear-facts/
          A grizzly bear can also be identified by its rump, which is lower than its shoulders, while a black bear's rump is higher. A grizzly bear's front claws measure about 2-4 inches in length

so lets say its 6".. that's still not enough to behead a fcvking horse!

Comment

A grizzly bear can also be identified by its rump, which is lower than its shoulders, while a black bear's rump is higher. A grizzly bear's front claws measure about 2-4 inches in length

so lets say its 6".. that's still not enough to behead a fcvking horse!
            I think this time Ill listen to National Geographic. By the way, the huge shoulders are for a reason.

This woman's hands reach about half way across the neck

This is your basic grizzly paw

Get through that top 3 or 4 " and it could likely go flying

Comment

I think this time Ill listen to National Geographic. By the way, the huge shoulders are for a reason.

This woman's hands reach about half way across the neck

This is your basic grizzly paw

Get through that top 3 or 4 " and it could likely go flying
              lmao! i have a house out in the ocean for you. $20,000 and its yours.

Comment

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/trop...a-39248847.jpg

lmao! i have a house out in the ocean for you. $20,000 and its yours.
                Are you silly? Where is it and why you selling?

Comment

Are you silly? Where is it and why you selling?
                  middle of the pacific ocean. weather's nice out there. water/electric bill free.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    when does the trhead say p4p?

the trhead asks if a north american grizzly can take a siberian tiger.

yall are picking the very biggest tigers on earth while trying to cherry pick a small, inland grizzly bear. pick on a big bear if you're gonna try and bring your big gun tigers to the square dance. who wins, a 600 lb cat or a 1400 lb bear? keep in mind also that bears are so big theyt aren't even weighed when they're killed. you measure the skull. nobody really knows how big they get. cats take 3-4 guys and you can put them on a scale.

a siberian tiger doesn't even step to a big, alaskan bear. they're half the size. maybe even less. biggest bear ever killed in alaska was almost 1700 lbs. it was 10 feet tall. let a 1100 lb size advantage sink in, and then step to the don about your kitty

"bbbbut if you take a tiny little grizzly bear and the biggest cat ever, and he wears a suit of armor like kringer in he-man!"

a tiger is going to not only fight a bear with 1100 lbs on it, it's going to kill it

how do big cats usually kill their prey? this is a loaded question, of course. let's see if you really know your kitties.
                    Da fuq????

Interior Grizzly Bear (400lbs to 600lbs on average) vs Siberian Tiger is the fairest/most comparable fight....Hence why it is frequently made and discussed (by people who actually know what they are talking about)...

Alaskan Coastal Brown Bear is to large (being 700-900lbs on average and sometimes 1000+ lbs for Males) and generally speaking imo larger sub-species of Bears like the Ussuri Brown Bear are going to be to large on average....Especially now that Siberian Tigers have been so heavily hunted/poached and are smaller now than they were in the past....

It should be noted that Interior Grizzly vs Siberian Tiger is only a fair match at average weights....The weight range of Bears varies more so than for Cats...The largest Interior Grizzlies in the lower 48 states have been clocked in at 800+lbs (through this is definitely rare).....and would also be to large for a Siberian Tiger....

I favor most types of Big Cats (Lion/Tiger/Jag etc) over most types of Bears (but not all) at equal weight....But not when the Bear has a legitimate size advantage.

Any Bear that starts having a 100-150lbs+ weight advantage is going to start becoming the favorite.....That doesn't mean that a smaller Cat couldn't win or bluff a larger Bear into running away....But in terms of the often discussed "Fight to the death" (which only happens in extreme rare occasions between 2 large and equal matched predators)....its going to start to favor the Bear once it has a legitimate weight advantage....
                    Last edited by animalfan10; 03-21-2018, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X