No announcement yet.

Who's a southpaw here?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's a southpaw here?

Whether we box for leisure or for money, or even just hit the pads or bag occasionally (like me), who amongst us is a natural southie?

*raises left hand*

With that said, however, I get this thing where I'll try and switch every so often because my left hand ends up feeling more comfortable as the jab hand - but then, my right hand is utterly useless for a straight.

The same applies for everyday tasks. Some I'll do exclusively with my left (write, eat, brush teeth, kick a ball), whilst others I always use the right (guitar, texting, mouse, TV remote).

Cross-dominance, I guess? Regardless, I'll always instinctively put my right foot forward and jab out with my right hand. It's just wired into me.
    Orthodox
    22.22%
    Southpaw
    55.56%
    Ambidextrous/cross-dominant/switcher
    22.22%
    Last edited by PittyPat; 09-05-2010, 12:53 PM.

Head on square waist clubbing punches,

I can't headbutt, throw knees, or elbows effectively from fighting stances.

Er boxing classical stances etc.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Comment

Ambidextrous, mix it up every now and then but I prefer to fight out of an orthodox stance.

Comment

im a righty but for some reason i feel stronger with my left hand.

Comment

Bump. This didn't get off the ground the first time.

Comment

Yep.........

Comment

It's amazing how many boxing stars s are southpaws considering we only comprise about 10% or less of the total population.

Just tons of good boxers, Pac, JuanMa, Bute, Dawson, PWill, Sergio Martinez,
              Devon Alexander, Dawson, Darchinyan.

Comment

Converted southpaw.

Comment

I have noticed that old adage with the southpaw stance, in that it really does have a habit of putting you in an off-balance position much more so than with orthodox. I have no idea why, but I assume it's something to do with the mechanics of reaching with the punches.

When I switch up, I feel much more 'solid' with my footing whilst in the orthodox stance; whereas when I try and do my normal southpaw routine, my feet keep lining up too close together (if you imagine a centreline from your front foot) and crossing up.

I'd probably switch constantly if I actually boxed often - mainly to keep my arms from tiring out. :laff2:
                  Last edited by PittyPat; 09-10-2010, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
                    Converted southpaw.
                    Big jab? No hook? Same here, Ten, lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X