No announcement yet.

Prime Ali vs Prime Marciano: Who wins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
    The manner in which he won those fights matters as well. Marciano is champ in any era.
    Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    2-2 in title fights, with the two losses coming to prime Cassius Clay.

That's not a negative in my book.
    Well said. Good post.

Comment

• Styles make fights, and I tend to like Marciano against Ali -- who admittedly was the greater fighter overall. Ali didn't like the punishment he took against Frazier. This would be worse. Rocky had two hands.

Close to a 50/50 fight over 15 rounds, I think.

Comment

• Believe it or not, Joe had a much better defense than Rocky.

Comment

• No he did not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
            Believe it or not, Joe had a much better defense than Rocky.
            Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
            No he did not.

Here guys have a look, debating a point 101: Hint, the simple act of contradiction does not establish anything...carry on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZruPlTui1iI

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
              Yes, it'd be a great fight. You only have to watch Ali vs Chuvalo 1 to realise how good it could be. Prime Ali wasn't always super mobile or elusive.

Marciano brings similar pace to Frazier but a much more effective right hand.

Ali himself said that Marciano could possibly have been his most difficult opponent, he was impressed by even the old Rocky in their simulated computer fight sparring sessions.

I personally think that Ali wins a decision or a late rounds stoppage on cuts. But it'd be exciting and certainly competitive.

I agree 100 percent. Every time I watch Ali/Chuvalo 1, I think about how tough prime Marciano would have been. Ali would dominate the opening rounds, but Marciano would come on during the mid rounds. He hit harder than Chuvalo and had a much higher work rate and his chin was good enough to take Ali's shots.

Comment

• Even though Rocky was more of a Foreman-esque slugger than a Frazier-esque swarmer he can be seen as a better, more skilled and refined version of Frazier in many ways, (I have heard his ring cutting described as a cheap imitation of Marciano’s technique and Frazier himself said that during the Manila fight he was trying to imitate the body punching technique of ‘the great champion Rocky Marciano’) which makes him a legitimate threat to Ali any day of the week. I’ve even heard people say that Frazier would have won the Manila fight if he hadn’t abandoned his Marciano-style body punching strategy halfway into the fight to go straight for a knockout.

Marciano is a dangerous man, Rooney himself said that Marciano and Ali were the only 2 men in history who were good enough to beat Prime Tyson.
                Last edited by Dempsey19; 03-16-2019, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by young_robbed View Post
                  When he did get dropped he always was able to come back, great recuperative powers. The shot that usually hurt Ali was the left hook, Rocky would have to hit Ali with that shot to stun him. I give Rocky little chance. Ali would win a decision/late stoppage.
                  yeah, i don't doubt Marcianos heart and stamina, he would bring it for 15 rounds and may have even hit harder than Frazier as well as being craftier - he was slower than Joe - a lot of savvy guys went quite a few rounds with Rocky, but they weren't as fast on their feet as Ali, as young or as big (they were light heavies) he caught up to them.

That being said Ali would eventually have to take a break and Rocky might do some damage on the ropes, I just don't see it being enough - he never fought anyone who could move around so fast and keep him at Bay.

I think anyone who "Fought" rocky he has a good chance of busting up, guys like frazier, Tyson, Holyfield and Bowe - because he inside craft and mental toughness would play into his favor. He had a 67 reach so his leverage was great inside.

Comment

• Marciano was clearly a great fighter, but the size difference combined with Ali's speed is too great to favor Marciano in this. That isn't to say he couldn't win, thats how good he was, but more often than not Ali would be too rangy and just stick and move his way to a victory.

Consider that Marciano had the height and reach of Golovkin-actually he has less reach than G; Ali had the same measurables as Usyk. Styles matter, skills matter, but so does size. Think of a bulkier GGG sizing up Usyk; how much style difference would you have to favor the smaller man to win?

Now, mix in the fact that the bigger man is super quick, has solid whiskers, and has proven himself against more prime A-Level natural heavyweights.

Comment

• Marciano is going to be hit far too often, but he will produce some resistance.

Comment

Working...
                      X