Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn set for sensational trilogy fight 25 years after

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn set for sensational trilogy fight 25 years after

Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn set for sensational trilogy fight 25 years after their final contest

Chris Eubank Sr and Nigel Benn are set to step foot in the ring for one final time to settle their rivalry with a sensational trilogy fight.

An official announcement is expected next week, with a lucrative bout set for some point in 2019.

Before the fight can be given the green light, both fighters need to be cleared by the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBoC) owing to their age.

Eubank Snr, 52, and Benn, 54, had two monumental fights in the 1990s which was given extra gravitas because of the sheer hatred held for one another.

Speaking earlier this year about the 1993 fight, Eubank said: “We were well aware that bad blood creates big audiences.

“But what holds the audience is authenticity. Both of us were the real thing. The public knows it when they see it.”

The second fight was watched by half a billion people around the world
    The second fight was watched by half a billion people around the world
    Confirming an announcement is due imminently, a source close to Benn’s camp said: “This fight has been in the making for three and a half years, on and off, on and off.

“Nigel is travelling to Spain this week to do a Q&A and he will be making a big announcement.”

Should Eubank Snr and Benn be denied a licence to fight by the BBBC, there may be ‘other avenues’ for getting the fight sanctioned.

British brawlers David Haye and Dereck Chisora obtained clearance from Luxembourg’s boxing federation prior to their fight at Upton Park in July 2012.

The first fight between Eubank Sr and Benn in 1990 was an instant classic, with both men swinging vicious punches with little regard for defence or jabs.

After suffering a cut tongue and a brutal knockdown, Eubank came back to win the fight by stoppage.

The rematch, which took place three years later, was watched by 42,000 fans inside Old Trafford with a global audience of half a billion worldwide.

It was eventually declared a draw and there was always public demand for a third, deciding fight.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/4...ank-nigel-benn

No excuses about 50-year olds fighting. Just let it happen.

Hell, I'd be down for either of them to fight Roy Jones next.

Comment

They already had their 3rd contest

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OrH6BrUmK5M

Comment

Maybe senior can show junior how it's done.

Comment

Live on dazn

Comment

Sensational? Uhhh no.

I'm okay with old guy fights. But when I'm saying old guy I'm talking late 30s & maybe 40s in special cases. These mfers are past my old guy fight fresh by date.

Comment

That was the same website that announced Benn-Collins III so this seems dubious:- https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/2...-wont-stop-it/

Comment

I'm picking Eubank. Benn is too old and past prime.

Comment

I'd like to see a "Senior WBSS". Only fighters who ain't been active for 5-10 years.

Comment

Embarrassing...
                    It won’t happen, just two attention wh*res

Comment

Working...
                    X