Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Tyson Fury fought in Muhammad Ali's golden era, would he have performed well?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
    He would do exactly what he has done in this era - beat one 38 year old ex titlist, and draw with one weak one.

So his best wins in Ali era would be -

aged 38 year old Floyd Patterson
    draw with Jimmy Ellis or perhaps Buster Mathis (nabf but equivalent to todays watered down 4 way split)

and after that some wins over journeymen.

So why on earth you are talking about the top guys and fury in the same sentence, beggars belief, based on what he CAN do.

He may yet improve.
    To be fair that fight was not really a draw. And some guys have the type of chin where they get hit, go down and get up. We don't know enough yet. Heck...How would Fury do against Lewis?

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
      To be fair that fight was not really a draw. And some guys have the type of chin where they get hit, go down and get up. We don't know enough yet. Heck...How would Fury do against Lewis?
      Should not even be considered against Lewis, that man would wreck him

Comment

Should not even be considered against Lewis, that man would wreck him
        How much do we know about Fury? If we had been having this discussion about Lewis ten years ago, or when he retired, it sould be colored by very different sentiments. Better yet...it is the day after the Vitali fight: Poor Vitali, ready to go on and beat lewis who was just being held up by the judges and the ropes... That was the type of BS that was being peddled after that fight, which Lewis did not help by being enraged that the interviewer after the fight questioned him (It was arrogant of Lewis).

For the next few years and especially while he was champ nobody gave Lewis much respect as a fighter! Same thing with Holmes BTW. So any discussion of his abilities would have to, like a fine wine, mellow over the years a bit, before they could be properly appreciated. Lewis now gets respect that he probably always deserved...He won me more money in betting pools than I deserved. Lol.

Fury is in a similar position. He has shown remarkable ability and might truly become a great fighter. Or, he may lose a few fights and sort of win a few, showing himself to be talented but not great... Or, he may lose and never look good again. This would affect his legacy more than others because he has his best years ahead of him still. Imagine if, for example, Lewis had stopped fighting after Rahman?

Finally...A lot of how we will judge a guy comes from their opposition. So, for example, what if Wilder goes on to KO AJ? Or what if Wilder gets beat by Whyte? Time will tell us a lot more about the Gypsy King.
        Last edited by billeau2; 02-17-2019, 12:57 PM.

Comment

How much do we know about Fury? If we had been having this discussion about Lewis ten years ago, or when he retired, it sould be colored by very different sentiments. Better yet...it is the day after the Vitali fight: Poor Vitali,
          maybe in your eyes. Worst Lewis killed off prime vitali inside half the distance. HIs legacy was complete way before he stopped one of the next gens better ones,and has zero prominence here.

Fury is in a similar position.
          YOu go with what hes done, not what you imagine he might. Same with Lewis, therefore Lewis rips fury apart.

yeh imagine is Ali didnt get Parkinsons. Imagine if Marciano had comeback and koed everyone up to frazier. Imagine Vitali was gonna beat lewis. ha. yeh you need to imagine mate then go become a fiction writer.
          Last edited by DreamFighter; 02-17-2019, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Sometimes with these type of threads, I think people need to take into consideration the conditions that some of these fighters fought under. Ken Norton while training for his first fight against Muhammad Ali was struggling to eat, at-least the kind of foods he wanted while preparing for such a fight 'Or I think it was before, I saw a interview where he would opt not to eat so? His child could eat, this was all while he was fighting' he then asked his Dad for some help, and his dad decline and stated 'If I help you now, I will always be helping you etc'.

Would Tyson Fury survive from a psychological perspective in the 70's/60's? or are we time warping the 70's fighters back to the current time line? Muhammad Ali was a lazy trainer, and only really trained to the level of his opponent, just imagine how things would change if he was around today 'He would only utilize the facilities and information that is about'.

You here some fighters today state? Oh I am a old school fighter, really? Did you know fighters used to sometimes fight for food? Still train and come in condition, and fight 15 rounds.
            Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 02-17-2019, 01:57 PM.

Comment

maybe in your eyes. Worst Lewis killed off prime vitali inside half the distance. HIs legacy was complete way before he stopped one of the next gens better ones,and has zero prominence here.

YOu go with what hes done, not what you imagine he might. Same with Lewis, therefore Lewis rips fury apart.

yeh imagine is Ali didnt get Parkinsons. Imagine if Marciano had comeback and koed everyone up to frazier. Imagine Vitali was gonna beat lewis. ha. yeh you need to imagine mate then go become a fiction writer.

You misunderstand my point. For the record I thought Lewis beat Vitali fare and square. Im just saying fury needs more time, both to do more and to let people consider him without prejudices.

Comment

You misunderstand my point. For the record I thought Lewis beat Vitali fare and square. Im just saying fury needs more time, both to do more and to let people consider him without prejudices.
                sure,sorry, he needs to be considered end of career..

but if we are calling it now we gotta go on what they can do now.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                  ? Along the lines of whether a horsefly could beat a housefly in a patty brouhaha.

Not a bad line.

Comment

Fury probably would remain 300+ pounds, and still go undefeated.

LOL, we saw what happened when Patterson, Foster and Moorer moved up to Heavyweight. At best we have young Billy Conn vs. Louis, or at worse Spinks vs. Tyson. Size matters.

How do you expect past era Heavyweights, many of them retaining many of their amateur flaws, to beat a guy with the size and skill of Fury!?!?!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
                      Sometimes with these type of threads, I think people need to take into consideration the conditions that some of these fighters fought under. Ken Norton while training for his first fight against Muhammad Ali was struggling to eat, at-least the kind of foods he wanted while preparing for such a fight 'Or I think it was before, I saw a interview where he would opt not to eat so? His child could eat, this was all while he was fighting' he then asked his Dad for some help, and his dad decline and stated 'If I help you now, I will always be helping you etc'.

Would Tyson Fury survive from a psychological perspective in the 70's/60's? or are we time warping the 70's fighters back to the current time line? Muhammad Ali was a lazy trainer, and only really trained to the level of his opponent, just imagine how things would change if he was around today 'He would only utilize the facilities and information that is about'.

You here some fighters today state? Oh I am a old school fighter, really? Did you know fighters used to sometimes fight for food? Still train and come in condition, and fight 15 rounds.
                      Well that is some magic power!!! Even on an empty stomach he could still ***** himself at the sight of a power-puncher!

Fury overcame more than Norton ever did, in making his comeback. And uh.. by the very obvious look of things... the pre-Vada Era took great care of Ken; regardless of the food he managed to put on his plate.

Comment

Working...
                      X