No announcement yet.

Price

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
    David Price fought, for the most part, a really good fight for the first five rounds (where he was clearly winning, imo), came out a little ahead of himself and got caught with a telling shot in the 6th, and simply didn't have the stamina/energy to give himself a chance to recover after that point.

Not sure how much time he has left, but Price is just fine; keep on listening to Caldwell (who had the perfect instructions for the proper tactics for Price, though Price's brief lapse on minding his defenses as he gauged what Hammer had left was his undoing), and continue to work on the conditioning (the move to around 270lbs seems to have alleviated most of the concerns about punch resistance, but he's got to develop a deeper gas tank than the hard 6 rounds and fade situation that he's currently facing).
    I thought Hammer was boxing better to be honest.

Price is annoying though because it seems like there's something there but he can't put it all together.

Imo he should maximise his fitness, give it one last go and if he fails next time, call it a day.

Comment

David Price fought, for the most part, a really good fight for the first five rounds (where he was clearly winning, imo), came out a little ahead of himself and got caught with a telling shot in the 6th, and simply didn't have the stamina/energy to give himself a chance to recover after that point.
      Really? He might have been winning the fight up until then and landing more punches but it was pretty clear that Hammer was able to get inside rather easily and when he did Price had no idea what to do. It was looking pretty grim for him IMO, even before he started to gas.

The knockdown he got was somewhat lucky because he was about to get sparked out then.

The only thing he has going for him is power because he's unable to use his length and his jab is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
        I thought Hammer was boxing better to be honest.

Price is annoying though because it seems like there's something there but he can't put it all together.

Imo he should maximise his fitness, give it one last go and if he fails next time, call it a day.
        Price was dictating the fight behind that multiple jab, doing really good damage to the body, and was able to catch Hammer in combination when things were open; it's just that his punch resistance is what it is (Caldwell's added weight has definitely helped the shock absorbers) and he was seemingly on fumes after 5 rounds (though I don't ever recall Price having all that great a tank to begin with).

He's never going to be Evander Holyfield, but if he can't go into a fight, knowing that he has the stamina to put forward a hard 10 rounds, it'd be better if he just chose to hang up the gloves now, imo,

Comment

Price was dictating the fight behind that multiple jab, doing really good damage to the body, and was able to catch Hammer in combination when things were open; it's just that his punch resistance is what it is (Caldwell's added weight has definitely helped the shock absorbers) and he was seemingly on fumes after 5 rounds (though I don't ever recall Price having all that great a tank to begin with).

He's never going to be Evander Holyfield, but if he can't go into a fight, knowing that he has the stamina to put forward a hard 10 rounds, it'd be better if he just chose to hang up the gloves now, imo,
          I too thought Price was in solid control until about round 5, when the wheels totally came off. He is a very frustrating guy, but if the guy was just tougher, he could get to world level. He's huge, long, and can crack with that right. But his jab is pitiful and my god his endurance is sooooo awful. I mean Hammer is no physical specimen himself and he was recovering 100X faster..

Comment

TS is likely Price's old lady or Price himself.

Remember when Tyson Fury turned down over a million bucks to fight this guy?

Comment

Originally posted by BWC View Post
              I too thought Price was in solid control until about round 5, when the wheels totally came off. He is a very frustrating guy, but if the guy was just tougher, he could get to world level. He's huge, long, and can crack with that right. But his jab is pitiful and my god his endurance is sooooo awful. I mean Hammer is no physical specimen himself and he was recovering 100X faster..
              Good point. I think he was struggling a little bit after round 4. He hasn't fought gr8 opposition and now never will

Comment

NO he is DONE, he doesn't have the reflexes, stamina or chin

Comment

Originally posted by aretrospective View Post
                  Scary thing is had he gotten past Hammer I think they would have tried to manoeuvre him into position for a shot at Wilder / Parker / Joshua.

Can you imagine how Joshua vs Price would have ended.....
                  Price would have been the first Englishman on the moon!

Comment

Originally posted by Thurman View Post
                    Yeah man, he was just a scissors who got put in with a rock.

But he would take Luis Ortiz to school. Styles make fights.
                    if Ortiz was 12 years old and Price was the school driver, maybe. In a ring? Ortiz kills that *****.

Comment

Originally posted by Scholar View Post
                      David Price is like a cross between Audley Harrison and Enzo Maccarinelli. His latest trainer, Dave Caldwell, hasn't done anything to address the stamina issues and it's apparent now he's also mentally weak. It's the mental weakness which has likely written him off. He needs to go 10 or 12 rounds against a few opponents who are durable but have no chance of actually winning. You can't throw him into fights were he's going to have to work every round for a full 12 when he has stamina issues.
                      Didn't this guy (Price's trainer) try some things with David? Like having him put on more weight so his chin was better? and getting him to settle down on his punches more? fight more efficiently?

I mean sometimes you do have to try a few things... I thought this guy was doing that. I guess if I was tasked with Price I would have him watch the Gypsy King. Instead of squaring up perpetually, teaching him mobility. All these fighters today, especially the Brits, are in love with that squared up orthodox, limited mobility way of doing things. Very similar to amateur fighting, no angles, no deceptive fighting lines, etc.

Would it kill Price to watch David Haye and the Gypsy King? Haye actually has pretty bad stamina as well. He is an ambush fighter and he stays away from his man until he launches an attack. Yes he has fast feet... But Price could compensate for foot speed with angles.

And Fury who also has better mobility, could also be a model for Price. David needs to do like the Gypsy King and get on his toes, fight off the back foot, use his jab and throw feints to keep his opponent honest. There is nothing extraordinarily bad about Price...that a fighter like Martin for example, has conquered. All these guys are immobile, squared up, targets.

If Price simply fought off the back leg it would help him immensely! Add to that using feints, footwork and a jab and he could protect that chin of his.

Comment

Working...
                      X