No announcement yet.

GGG ****ed up the Welterweight Division

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Loma#1 View Post
    How could Bummelo defend the WBC against Khan below 155?
    If your referring to my post your right he can't. I ****ed up.
    I deleted the post. It wasn't a fair reply or accurate. My mistake..
    Last edited by TonyGe; 02-18-2018, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
      Show me that interview. If it's the same one the other dude posted on the previous page I already blew that out the water so you can go back and check that response
      It's one the many ifltv interview that these guys (Hearn and Kugan) chat up like an hour so.. Do your research bruh, Twitter isn't the only news outlet out there..

Update..

Here you go.. Looks like Hearn backed the deal out..

As July began, two major fights were well on their way to being finalized to take place this fall in England, a welterweight title unification bout between Kell Brook and Jessie Vargas and unified middleweight titlist Gennady Golovkin squaring off with contender Chris Eubank Jr.

Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn, who promotes Brook and Eubank, had worked out deals with Vargas promoter Top Rank and Golovkin promoter Tom Loeffler of K2 Promotions.

Gennady Golovkin-Kell Brook
      Where: O2 Arena in London, England
      When: Saturday
      TV: HBO, 5:30 p.m. ET/PT
      Both matches seemed like fan-friendly bouts that the public could get behind. But then, suddenly, neither was finalized, leading to a perfect storm that resulted in both A-sides, Golovkin and Brook, winding up paired with each other for a fight even bigger than the other two on the table.

So as Golovkin (35-0, 32 KOs) gets set to make his 17th title defense against Brook (36-0, 25 KOs) on Saturday (HBO, 5:30 p.m. ET/PT with a replay at 10 p.m. ET/PT) at the sold-out O2 Arena in London just how did we go from nearly seeing Golovkin-Eubank and Brook-Vargas to getting the fight ultimately signed?

GGG has been installed a prohibitive 8-1 favorite to hand Brook. Courtesy Lawrence Lustig/Matchroom Boxing
      Hearn said he was working on both fights simultaneously and thought he had both done. He had made a deal with Top Rank for Vargas and Top Rank in turn cut a deal with Vargas under which he was to receive $1.7 million of the $2.2 million Hearn would pay Top Rank.

It was not easy to get done as Vargas sought extra perks in addition to repeatedly upping his asking price until agreeing to $1.7 million and signing a contract to fight Brook.

"I really wanted to make Brook-Vargas," Hearn said. "Vargas wanted so much money, and rightfully so, so we agreed to pay Top Rank the $2.2 million, plus 50 percent of the U.S. TV rights [for a fight HBO planned to televise]. When we looked at the financials of the show we probably needed to do 350,000 pay-per-view buys [on Sky Box Office in the U.K.] for Brook to make the right money, similar to what Vargas was getting. I don't believe it would have done that because nobody [had] heard of Vargas in the U.K."

Then Brexit happened, as the United Kingdom voted in June to exit the European Union, a move that sent financial markets haywire and crushed the value of the British currency.etimated that the impact of Brexit would probably cost him about $300,000 on the Brook-Vargas deal, so he went back to Top Rank chairman Bob Arum, explained the situation and said he needed to reduce the money.

"Now we had a little less than $2 million and asked Jessie to take 10 percent less," Arum said. "He was considering it and then Eddie never got back to us."

http://www.espn.com.au/boxing/story/...brook-was-made
      Last edited by BoxingFan85; 02-18-2018, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFan85 View Post
        It's one the many ifltv interview that these guys (Hearn and Kugan) chat up like an hour so.. Do your research bruh, Twitter isn't the only news outlet out there..

Update..

Here you go.. Looks like Hearn backed the deal out..

http://www.espn.com.au/boxing/story/...brook-was-made
        Read the thread & you'll see I already addressed that interview showing Hearn backed out & posted an IFL interview of Hearn saying they can't fight Spence because the Vargas fight is signed. Four steps ahead. I ain't even posted the other stuff yet

Comment

Read the thread & you'll see I already addressed that interview showing Hearn backed out & posted an IFL interview of Hearn saying they can't fight Spence because the Vargas fight is signed. Four steps ahead. I ain't even posted the other stuff yet

The video you posted was a snippet of the interview and not the complete interview itself.. Anyways Hearn said he was tied up with Vargas negotiations when Spence and his team called back, what happened before that part? Had they not agreed before? Point at hand is not Spence but how GGG spoiled the party for Brook, when he scheduled to fight Vargas and IBf ordered Bundu as the fight to land his mandatory status..

Comment

I applauded the balls that Brook had for taking the fight, but I wish it didn't happen. No way in hell was he going to win the fight and he was a real player at 147 (at that point, I dubbed him the best at 147)

Comment

For real.

GGG ruined welter from middle. Ol' punk ass. He hit so hard, er division gone feel it.

Comment

Nope didn't force him. But didn't have to fight a welterweight. Picking on guys 2 division lower isn't good for the sport as we're now seeing.
                Originally posted by stealthradon View Post
                Nobody at 168 wanted the fight.
                Nobody at 160 wanted the fight.
                Nobody at 154 wanted the fight.
                Eubank Jr is the only one at 160 who turned down the fight. Who else at 154 or 160 or 168 did they make an offer to?
                I'm not blaming Brook. I'm blaming GGG
                Two points need emphasising here:

First: Whatever the reason for Brook/Vargas not happening, GGG was not to blame there ...unless you are going to blame him just for existing and agreeing to fight Eubank Jr on an Eddie Hearn show on a given date.

GGG signed to fight Eubank Jr after being offered the fight by Hearn. Jr was a top 10 ranked MW at that time. Eubank Sr is on record confirming that the fight was indeed offered to them before Brook and that it would have earned his son "£5million"

He then said, bizarrely, that he believed his son would have won it, but that he was still "2 fights" away from being ready for it.

Second point: When Jr didn't sign, Hearn had just 9 weeks to find a replacement who would have been acceptable to both Sky and HBO, and who would have generated enough UK PPVs to pay GGG the kind of money Hearn had promised him for coming to the UK on that date, with enough left over to keep the opponent happy and - most important of all - a good profit for Hearn himself.

It's possible that Hearn may have realised the Eubanks were not serious about fighting GGG, even though it was them who asked for the fight in the first place, and that he always had Brook in mind as a replacement if they pulled out.

But, like I said, Golovkin signed to fight a top 10 MW, who many people saw as a dangerous opponent for him, so accusing him of "picking on WWs" etc, just doesn't wash.
                Last edited by kafkod; 02-19-2018, 09:58 AM.

Comment

hard to take golovkin fans seriously.....one day one of them will say eubank sr ducked out because his son wasnt ready.....other days you will hear about how crazy eubank sr wanted to control the promotion or all this money

why would eubank be asking for the fight if he felt he wasnt ready?

when you dont have pen to paper by a certain date you move on to your plan b ....loeffler had stated before how he makes fights...he has a list of guys and starts at the top ........so when loeffler didnt have eubanks signature by a certain date he should have moved to plan b...unless of course he knew brook was willing to take the fight and they wanted it the whole time

why didnt loeffler even inquire or mention degale to hearn? loeffler was quoted as saying "we would have fought degale if he was offered"....so why didnt you even ask?

Comment

Working...
                  X