Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Oleksandr Usyk grow into a heavyweight contender?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
    I would be very surprised if he didnt reach the top 5.

Without seeing him in with proper pro HW's, its impossible to say what he will achieve from there.

People talk about his power, but its worth noting his footwork and speed would be blazing compared to big HWs. Also, I think his power will be better vs more stationary targets. He seems to struggle a little with accuracy at CW, which probably means he has to take some steam off his shots. With more confidence to be able to swing through the target he will probably have decent power. Not a one punch guy or anything, but enough to keep you honest.

He will prob weight 215-220 odd lbs, a guy punching with speed and accuracy with well set up shots is going to hurt.
    You nailed a really important issue I forgot to put in my original post, what additional weight Usyk would carry into the division. I think you're right that about 215-220 would be his sweet spot where he'd be lean and strong. His frame can definitely support it. If he goes any higher, I think he'll end up in that slow and soggy range, like whenever Tomasz Adamek went over 215.

Comment

wilder would send his head to the moon 🌙 with a right hand.

Comment

He'll be a bigger puncher at HW and for all this lack of power talk he's hurt everyone he's ever faced.

He'll be fine at HW. I sure as **** ain't buying Parker, Povetkin and those types being any better than a Breidis. Neither do I buy them being super durable both Fury and Wilder have been decked hard by smaller, lesser punchers.

Its more like how will these big yops handle the speed, the movement, the angles, the counterpunching, the combination punching.
        None of them have stamina but Wilder, not one can put combinations together but Povetkin and he's gotta be roided to the gills in order to, none can cut a ring off. Frankly they're just big, not one is particularly skilled. People can only mention size and power cause its all they have. All of em combined couldn't make up 1 Riddick Bowe.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
          Low risk?

If that fight happens my money is going on Parker. Doesn't have the power to hurt Parker, isn't elusive enough to avoid getting hit and won't have a size advantage.
          Yeah. But Parker barely squeaked out a questionable hometown decision in Auckland over Andy Ruiz not long ago and Ruiz is no big hitter and shorter than Usyk.

I'll give you that this is theoretical because we have no idea how Usyk is going to look at heavy. I'm certainly not bandwagon jumping for a guy who has never been in with the big boys. I have just never been terribly impressed by Parker, especially against a lethargic Takam. Maybe I'm underestimating Parker and he will change my mind when he gets in with Joshua. I can't see it, but I'm no huge fan of Joshua, so I'd be happy to eat my words.

Comment

We have a weak Heavyweight division and a very strong Cruiserweight division. Usyk beats everybody at HW but Joshua and Povetkin.

Breidis is quite underrated, he's probably #2 at Cruiserweight. He knocked Charr out cold and defeated Perez convincingly (albeit in an ugly fight). Perez is no slouch, he was a legit top 10 heavy at some point and has a win over Ortiz in the amateurs.

Comment

Originally posted by nixxter View Post
              We have a weak Heavyweight division and a very strong Cruiserweight division. Usyk beats everybody at HW but Joshua and Povetkin.

Breidis is quite underrated, he's probably #2 at Cruiserweight. He knocked Charr out cold and defeated Perez convincingly (albeit in an ugly fight). Perez is no slouch, he was a legit top 10 heavy at some point and has a win over Ortiz in the amateurs.
              Why do you think Usyk couldn't beat Joshua or Povetkin?

Comment

He got a very close split d win in his last fight so that isn't exactly cleaning out cruiserweight. I think he loses to the best 3 or 4 heavyweights.

Comment

you don't have to win at HW to make more money in one fight than you will in five at CW. he will fight there, and probably within the next two years.

one shot with joshua after a decent campaign and you can literally retire. charles martin reportedly got five million dollars to fight joshua. charles f#cking martin. that guy could hardly box.
                  Last edited by New England; 02-01-2018, 03:21 PM.

Comment

In another era, No, in this era, yes. People are seriously overestimating this current heavyweight crop. I can easily picture him outboxing Joshua and wilder who have serious limitations. Joyce is Olympic silver medallist and he couldn't land a glove on usyk in there fight. People going on about fury but he put on one of his worst performances and got dropped by someone the same size as usyk who is nowhere near as skilled.

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
                      You don't know what sub par means. Elite fighters of the division like Glowacki-Huck where barely able to land on Usyk, Other than Breidis who is the clear no.2 division Usyk was rarely hit.

You don't know WTF you are talking about.

If you want to talk sub-par defense how about Ward getting hit with the likes of Barrera-Alexander brand often in rounds?

4:35 gets you knocked out with that punch at HW, that's late in the fight too. He got hit plenty against Huck, Hunter, Mchunu etc.

Usyk's offense is his defense, that's a no no at HW.

Hunter, Mchunu, Brieidis, he's been hit a lot.

Comment

Working...
                      X