No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Errol Spence vs. Lamont Peterson: Afterthoughts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Errol Spence vs. Lamont Peterson: Afterthoughts

With violent efficiency, Errol Spence forced a corner retirement from Lamont Peterson that reminded that not all corner retirements are the same. The look on the face of trainer Barry Hunter, the anguish in deciding whether to halt the fight or not, was as touching a moment as boxing might have in 2018. That was the face, the decision, of a man who truly loved the fighter in the corner. Peterson made a game effort, especially coming off the floor in the fifth. Peterson fought to stay on his feet, to make the bell, with the same grit that has marked so much of his career.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Spence needs a big win at Welterweight to be considered within the P4P frame

That, or a big win at 154lbs.

The problem he has, is that 147 is currently pretty weak. Its also unlikely that he will face one of the two recognised talents at the weight, in Crawford, due to promotional difficulties.

He needs Thurman, and a solid start at 154 to put him legitimately as one of the best 5 fighters in world

Comment

Peterson style is effective when he can take and survive the punishment delivered by his opponent.

Spence was all wrong for him, longer and harder puncher, with an akward southpaw stance.

Peterson is a fighters who answer after his opponent hit first, he doesn't take the lead of the fight. He just "answer".

It doesn't work when you face a beast like Spence.

Destroyers like Spence or GGG, you need to put them out of their confort zone and not let them dictate the pace.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post

The problem he has, is that 147 is currently pretty weak. Its also unlikely that he will face one of the two recognised talents at the weight, in Crawford, due to promotional difficulties.

He needs Thurman, and a solid start at 154 to put him legitimately as one of the best 5 fighters in world
        At this time loma in his career was considered P4P #1 but Errol cant be? Intresting....

He is at 147, period.

The 147 pound division is the BEST division on boxing for years. Bud needs to leave tr if he wants real fights....

Errol is better than golovkin in P4P Ranking period but I bet you have golovkin in the top 5 & he hasn't moved up in any weight division or beat anyone good in his own division.......

Comment

My thoughts before the fight was for LP to box on the outside to make this fight close, he didn't do that.

My Thoughts after the fight are still the same.

Comment

Again, I like the new format!

Comment

Originally posted by j.razor View Post
              At this time loma in his career was considered P4P #1 but Errol cant be? Intresting....

He is at 147, period.

The 147 pound division is the BEST division on boxing for years. Bud needs to leave tr if he wants real fights....

Errol is better than golovkin in P4P Ranking period but I bet you have golovkin in the top 5 & he hasn't moved up in any weight division or beat anyone good in his own division.......
              Any rational justifications for your argument or are you just spewing out trash for the sake of it?

I’ve bolded what you need to justify

and yes Loma has an argument because he has done more than a close fight with Brook, and Peterson, whose place in the top 10 in the division was debatable

Comment

Any rational justifications for your argument or are you just spewing out trash for the sake of it?

and yes Loma has an argument because he has done more than a close fight with Brook, and Peterson, whose place in the top 10 in the division was debatable
                The fight with Brook wasn't close at all. Brook won at max 3 rounds and was stopped. That's not close.

Additionally how was Peterson's spot in the top 10 at Welterweight questionable when he was ranked in the top 10 on every publication in the sport. He also vacated the WBA interim belt to fight Spence. Please tell me how his spot was questionable?

I don't agree with all the other poster wrote, but your post makes no sense.

Comment

What? Lol He's already p4p by major publications. He'll likely move up after this weekend.

Comment

If you don't know 147 has been the best division in boxing for years then you must be knew to boxing or just watch it casually....

golovkin has fought weak contenders his WHOLE pro career then steps up in Jacobs & Nelo & doesn't win those fights.

The brook fight was close for 4 rounds then Errol just kept chopping him down. Let me guess, you were going with froch's scorecard right?

Comment

Working...
                    X