No announcement yet.

Advice for former athlete looking to get into Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VegasMichael View Post
    The one on ones are always best. 200 bucks for 12 or so private lessons is pretty cheap. How long is each session?
    If you're at a gym that does 'sessions', you're in the wrong gym if you want to box.

Go down to real boxing gym and join the gym. That's all there is to it.

Comment

Just go to a damn boxing gym and figure it out!
      That's it. Nothing Else.

Comment

Originally posted by scbb View Post
        Find a boxing only gym, Do your own little backgound check on the person that runs it. You are looking for ex pro's as trainers. Just take the regular classes at least 3 times a week. Should run you about $100 a month. Once they see you have skills and you are interested they will work more with you one on one with your regular monthly payment. Your goal and there's will be to fight amateur. You are not any wheres near to old. I started at 55 years old. It will take you about a year to really learn it.
        quality post, this

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
          Yeah man pay for the normal classes, and make it work for a month or three. After you've also shown yourself that you are going to keep at it and make training a habit and a priority, then start to do the individual sessions as an additional form of training.

Better not to waste the extra money while you are just learning the basics anyway.
          I fully agree with that.

Comment

You know, I think there is a misconception that you need to search hard to find a really good gym or whatever, but if you're a beginner, as long as the boxing gym is fairly reputable, there's not much difference between any of them. It's only once you've been competing, and you know what you're doing a bit more, that the choice of gym will make much difference. Here in the UK, if you got kids and looking to send them to a boxing gym, I'd say just send them to the closest ABAE gym to start with, the basics are the same everywhere...

We see this kind of post here quite often: "I've decided I want to be a boxer" - it's ******ed.

Go to the gym. Simple as. Find out what it's all about, get in a few wars, and then you are in a better position to decide, 'Is this what I want to do with my life?' You don't play boxing. It's a way of life. And when you get to the higher levels there are people who have been doing this since they could stand up, so if you're coming at it a bit later on in life, you've got some catching up to do. But this whole thing of, 'One-on-one sessions will help me catch up' - I'm not sure how true that is. You start with the basics; unless you want to pay some ex-pro to watch you drill, 'in out, in out' a thousand times, then it's a bit of a waste of money. If you're doing it 'for fun', then fine, do what you want, but if you're serious about it, you have to realise it's not the type of thing where you can fast-forward your progression, it has to come from you, and it will simply take time and hard work.

It's premature to say anything about boxing at this stage, you don't know what it involves yet, come back in a couple of years, and then decide.

Also, I just want to add that even the really good gyms will only have a handful of exceptional fighters come through the doors in their lifetime, the percentage of fighters who are good enough to go pro, and do well at it, is not high. You might be exceptional, but probably not.

Comment

I'd say have a couple of underground fights...record them and post them on here. If you look the part...maybe a few of us will crowdfund your travel and a few sessions with Buboy at the Wildcard.

Comment

Working...
              X