No announcement yet.

Why the hype for Errol Spence?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the hype for Errol Spence?

Now don't get me wrong, i haven't seen too many of Spence's fights. But from what i have seen, I really do struggle to see the hype.

The guy is obviously a big welterweight, and to me it seems like his biggest asset. The fact that his body allows him to walk into the ring as a middleweight against welterweights. Yet he isn't consistently blasting guys out of there in spectacular fashion.

I mean, we know that amir khan isn't the biggest puncher going. He does have some pop but nothing special, it's more the speed factor that gets him the knockdowns. But even he managed to get Lo Greco out in 1. Lo Greco didn't exactly fair well against Spence but he did take his shots relatively well. Spence never seems to vary his punches either in terms of power and speed. Everything comes at the same pace, I can only imagine how quickly an elite level fighter could figure out his timing.

I suppose only time will tell, don't misquote me. I think he's solid, and i'm sure i'm missing something. So tell me what i'm missing.

He's a very good fighter and his style makes for good viewing. He is big for the weight and his defence ain't bad. He's not a master at anything but the whole package makes him a very dangerous fighter.

Obviously Crawford beats him that's why they are running from him as fast as they can but I'm not sure any other welter can. I have him at number 2 at 147.

Comment

Building the brand

Comment

Originally posted by curtis harper View Post
        building the brand
        = ducking.

Comment

He’s a very well calculated boxer, who has good pop and is an awesome body puncher.

He’s not a one punch ko artist, but more of a systematic beat down type of fighter.

He can have stationary head movement which will hurt him against sharp punchers who can box on the back foot (like when he fought Brook)
          But dude can fight, and is getting better as he steps up in competition.

I’d like to see a very decisive victory against porter as a real breakout fight.
          A real beat down to show he can be the top dog of the division.

Comment

Originally posted by DaNeutral. View Post
            = ducking.
            Can't find a link to the guy/s he ducked. Inside info ???

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
              Can't find a link to the guy/s he ducked. Inside info ???
              He is ducking Crawford and everybody knows it. What better way to build a brand than to beat the guy who most people see as number 1 in the division. But Spence is doing the opposite. = DUCKING.

Comment

Originally posted by DaNeutral. View Post
                He is ducking Crawford and everybody knows it. What better way to build a brand than to beat the guy who most people see as number 1 in the division. But Spence is doing the opposite. = DUCKING.
                Links, links, links...........

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
                  Links, links, links...........
                  Shove your links up your mothers anus and then go bury your head in the sand. Spence is ducking Crawford and only PBC junkies deny it.

Comment

Originally posted by kingstip9 View Post
                    He’s a very well calculated boxer, who has good pop and is an awesome body puncher.

He’s not a one punch ko artist, but more of a systematic beat down type of fighter.

He can have stationary head movement which will hurt him against sharp punchers who can box on the back foot (like when he fought Brook)
                    But dude can fight, and is getting better as he steps up in competition.

I’d like to see a very decisive victory against porter as a real breakout fight.
                    A real beat down to show he can be the top dog of the division.
                    This is exactly the impression I have of him also. I think he's a good fighter, but I also think that it's your typical case of the hype is more than the fighter. (Edit: Unpopular opinion but i also think that Porter is criminally underrated. Might not be the best fighter but i think he gives everyone in the division one of their toughest fights. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see an upset)

The fact that he doesn't carry that one punch KO power even though he is much bigger than the majority of his opponents does pose the question. Can he move up with people still respecting his power? Or will he be a 147 fighter forever. I honestly can't see him making 147 for the rest of his career, unless his career ends soon. To me he doesn't pass the eye test convincingly, and also doesn't really have the resume to back it up.

I don't know what it is about the guy. I just get the feeling that we are waiting for him to get exposed once he reaches that elite level. The question is though, who is at that elite level to test him. Possibly Crawford? I personally think that the jury is still out on Crawford. Beat a small Gamboa, an oldish Amir Khan and well... A Jeff horn. He passes the eye test but that's about it so far.
                    Last edited by JayID; 07-28-2019, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X